cyclomethicone ratio?

Kassandra

Got some of this stuff today to mix up with some FO and make body sprays. I have read that you can use it from 1 part FO to 3 parts cyclo up to 1 part FO to 6 parts cyclo... That's a big difference! Anyone use this, and how much FO do you usually use?

I also have to add that I got it from BCS and they included 3 1 oz. FO samples with it, which surprised me on such a small order. Very nice.

Those ratios are way to much FO. They are telling you to use between 16% and 33% of your total volume! Where did you find the info on those ratios?

You shouldn't need any more than 2% of your total volume in FO for a dry oil spray. Otherwise you are wasting your FO, it may not disperse properly and you may have skin reactions from too much FO being applied to the skin.

Note, some FO scents will drop to the bottom of your bottle of cyclo because the ingredients are non totally miscible with cyclo (I find this happens mostly with vanilla based fragrances.) The scent will still be nice and strong, but you will see droplets at the bottom of your bottle.

Donna

Those ratios are way to much FO. They are telling you to use between 16% and 33% of your total volume! Where did you find the info on those ratios?Donna

From Bittercreek South....

Dry Oil Body Spray/Perfume: Mix in FO or EO at any dilution depending on desired strength and recommended usage levels of FO or EO. Common dilution rates are 1 part FO/6 parts cyclo up to 1 part FO/3 parts cyclo.

I'm glad I posted before I made any....:undecided

I use a 1:6 or 1:7 ratio in cyclo. 1:3 sounds really high, but I haven't ever tried it at that concentration. 1:7 works really well and generally I do 1 part FO, 1 part Grapeseed oil or Fractionated Coconut Oil and 6 parts Cyclo. I don't use a FO that won't blend. It's disgusting looking and I just don't think people will shake it up before they use it---after all, we don't have to shake up other body sprays we buy at stores.

I get mine from Bittercreek as well.

Do a search here on this board using the word : cyclo and then do a search using the word: cyclomethicone. There are MANY threads on this very topic! The general consensus was to do a 1:6 ratio. Also, go to Bitter Creek, where you bought the cyclo & look on their home page for their board. I believe it is somewhere on the bottom left, of their home page. Then, go to either their bath & body threads, or thier fragrance mixing threads. At the very top of one of those threads, there is a GIANT thread, JUST on Cylco mixing. It is pages & pages, but it is VERY informative! Especially since you bought the cyclo from them. HTH

CandleMan-I've heard that grapeseed oil does the same thing, but I've found it doesn't work with all FOs.

I find all FO's will mix with the added FCO, you might have to up the FCO a little to get a certain FO to mix, but it does work.

I like FCO because it has an indefinate shelf life, does not go rancid when stored & handled properly, if so it takes years. Other oils have a very short shelf life both by themselves & mixed with other oils or products. With other oils you would have to worry that the customer is not using a rancid product. If you didn't know you could be selling a rancid product or the product could go rancid very shortly after the customer buys it.

I don't sell any product, I make, that has anything in it that can go rancid. I don't want to have to worry about my products or having to throw away product because it went rancid. That is a loss of money, to have to throw out product.

Good thought...I'll have to switch to the FCO on my next supply purchase. So far I've been buying in small 16 oz. sizes and giving 4 oz. sprays as Christmas gifts so going rancid likely isn't a problem, but I'm definitely going to switch over to the FCO.

With the stubborn FOs that don't want to blend do you go up substantially in the FCO ratio?

Good thought...I'll have to switch to the FCO on my next supply purchase. So far I've been buying in small 16 oz. sizes and giving 4 oz. sprays as Christmas gifts so going rancid likely isn't a problem, but I'm definitely going to switch over to the FCO.

With the stubborn FOs that don't want to blend do you go up substantially in the FCO ratio?

No, I haven't had to.

I find a stubborn FO and add FCO till it mixes then I make all my body sprays with this same amount. That way I don't have to test and have different formulas for different FO's.

I have found at least 1 of my FOs does not mix well, no matter how much FCO I add. I got frustrated and even upped it to 1 part cyclo, 1 part FO, and 6 parts FCO... still a no go.

All my other FOs have been great with just 1 part FCO, though.

I have found at least 1 of my FOs does not mix well, no matter how much FCO I add. I got frustrated and even upped it to 1 part cyclo, 1 part FO, and 6 parts FCO... still a no go.

All my other FOs have been great with just 1 part FCO, though.

can you reveal what FO it was?

How much FCO do you add to the ones that dont mix well? Do you still add the samr amount of cyclo and Fo and just add the FCO to it?

Substitute one of the cyclo parts, with FCO. But Mix the FCO & FO together first. So, if you were making a 4 ounce bottle & were going to do the

3.5oz cyclo & .5 oz FO....instead, you would do: 3.0 oz cyclo, .5 oz FCO & .5 oz FO.

can you reveal what FO it was?

Sorry, I missed your question!

It was White Tea & Ginger from Peaks. I was disappointed because I LOVE this scent! I ended up bringing the tester to work and using it for air freshener spray in my office, but I have to shake really good every time. :rolleyes2