I did it but...

julie

I had posted & asked if anyone made these type of candles

demi-replacement.jpg

Just making for my own enjoyment! Well I gave it a try. I used Apples & Oak fo at 5% in both my gel & my regular wax. Z51. Put in a small mouth 1/2 pint square mason jar.

They turned out really pretty. So pretty when burning! Burn nicely (no smoke & very little mushrooming) but the hot throw is very,very weak & has a bit of fuel oil smell.

I generally use 8%-10% fo in my regular wax but someone had said to use the suggested % for gel in both. I am really disappointed in the throw. Would a larger wick help at all? Appreciate any suggestions.

Julie

You may want to do a little more research julie ...but I believe using the max amount of FO in gell is because using more causes the gell to cloud up. I would check a little further to make sure there is no danger in using more FO. One other problem may be a greater percent of FO than that called for is that it may lower the flash point of the gell.

Hope this helps

Bill

Jacksonville Fla

So the Apples and Oak fo is nonpolar, I suggest you try a different FO but make sure it has no citrus notes to it.

My experience is that it is the polar FOs that will cloud the gel, I haven't had any nonpolars cloud .... (that said it is suggested that even if your fo is said to be nonpolar you should test it yourself because there have been cases of fo's said to be nonpolar being polar)

And even though I am going to be chastised for this, I will tell you anyway that you can use more FO. You will of course test test test :grin2:. Also try using a larger wick or, if you are using zinc, try one that burns hotter. This is trial and error, trial and error, trial and SUCCESS !!! I also suggest that when burning your testers that you place them in the sink just in case......In the 8 or so years I have been making/testing gels I have not had any incidents but I still do my testing in the sink because you just never know.

I am not familiar with the other wax you are using so I can't make any suggestions there.

Since these are for your own use (heck, even if they weren't) it's all about experimenting, formulating and learning what you can and can't do. It's very good and well to heed directions etc. but you won't find out what you can really do until you experiment...using some common sense of course.

AH, just saw you are using a small mouth mason......you might try using a wider mouth container too.

Very nice candles:) was your fragrance oil non-polar? What was the density of your gel and what kind of wax did you use? If your scent oil was non-polar, it is designed to blend/mix with gel as opposed to the polar oils, which can have a tendency to cloud the gel, separate and possibly catch fire when the candle is lit.

I generally use the most fo that the gel can hold( non polar) and the most fo that the wax can hold and have made the 8 oz rolly polly glasses with wax chunk/gel overpour and the scent throw is great. I use an htp wick in this case, as it burns hotter, no smoke:) HTH:D