Why are people afraid of soap??

brydean

Why are people afraid to try homemade soap? I don't get it.

So I did a little experiment with my sons speech therpist. She must wash her hands before each session. I noticed she always used the dish detergent never my soap. So one week I hid the detergent, she stood there looking for it until I pointed out that there was a bar of soap right there! She did use it then and the next day when I again hid the detergent. The following week I made sure the soap dish had a nice new bar of soap and that the dish was sparkling clean. I also put out the bottle of detergent that had 1/2 in or less left in it. It was also disgustingly filthy as I had used it to clean up after I had made soap the day before. I'm a slob, I tend to get coconut oil and lard all over my hands so I get it on the bottle when I clean up!:D I purposely left it nasty. So guess which one she used?

The EMPTY, YUCKY DISH DETERGENT!:confused:

Today I even left out several small slivers of fresh soap. Nope, detergent again. (The bottle was clean this time ;) )

Anyone else find this happens???

Well here's my shot in the dark ... because they don't know what's in it? They don't see that it says sanitizing or antibacterial so they may not think it will really clean them. They just aren't that exposed to handmade soap lol. And habit. People use what they're familiar with.

Try convincing this person to give a bar of your soap a try. A one-time use isn't enough to feel or notice a difference so see if you can get this person to try just your bar from start to finish.

People are silly. Soap is clean. I'll look for the link.

ETA: here's the link. I first came across it on another forum, but since have had it sent to me by a friend. http://www.slate.com/id/2156843/?GT1=9010

Interesting reading CareBear! Thanks for the link. So we should wash the soap to clean it before, or as we wash our hands. I'd rather see an old bar of soap being used to clean ones hands in a bathroom, than not using anything to wash with after using the facilities, for sure!:D

well. here is what my neighbor told me her reasoning was....the gunk or residue it leaves in a dish is a turn off(hand made orstore bought) and a bottle of liquid soap looks neater and cleaner......and in the shower...you don't know where it was used last and hair stuck to it would freak her out,lol!

my dad's reason is he is convinced he can only get antibacterial soap from the nasty deodorant detergent soaps like zest, dial, etc...and it's hard to get him to try something after all those years.

others think someone might have left germs or something yucky on it after they used it...

i think it's all funny! luckily i got my neighbor convinced and my soap is all she uses now..but it took a few times of giving her samples til she found she preferred OM&H & Lavender...now she's hooked.

Sure, anyone would use a free bar of soap that's never been used before. I would opt for a bottle of dish detergent too over a strangers bar of used handsoap (nothing personal).

I remember when I was in grade school they only had bars of soap for kids to use in the restrooms. I never thought anything about it, and neither did anyone else.

Now you couldn't pay me to pick up a bar of used soap in a public facility and use it. I know, those soap dispensers are also laden with germs--but at least they're ordinarily dry and you can't see scum on them.

I think most people have been conditioned now to use liquid anti-bacterial soaps. There are kids growing up now who might not ever touch a bar of soap during their lifetime, thanks to body washes, shower gels, etc.

Sure, anyone would use a free bar of soap that's never been used before. I would opt for a bottle of dish detergent too over a strangers bar of used handsoap (nothing personal).

What everyone is saying does make sense. I agree a strange bar of soap can be really nasty. I guess I just assumed she would get over it. As she has been comming here for months and I hope realizes we are not too terribly disgusting!:drool: LOL

I have to admit I about gagged, when I was 7 months pregnant. We had to go downtown to file some court papers. The building we were at had no public restrooms, the only bathroom was in the same building that had the county jail. The only soap they had was a bar of soap. I did use it, But rewashed my hands the first chance I had! :grin2:

I like liquid soap for hand washing, too. It just looks cleaner, you know? (I know, soap IS clean... lol). But, I have to say, since doing a few mixed swaps and using handmade soap in the shower I won't go back to the yucky store bought stuff. I had no idea this stuff was so much BETTER! Now, I'm fostering my bath bomb addiction! You guys are killing me!