wooden wicks???

I was looking around at sites this am and found Old Virginia Candle Company using wooden wicks so you have a cracklin' fire sound when the candle burns. Wouldn't that be awfully sooty? Why would anyone want to use wooden wicks? I can't imagine controlling the flame on that.

There's several threads posted here about the wood wicks.

I first learned about them at Cracker Barrel and purchased the WW collection.

I've burned my candles according to their instructions for best results, which was 3 to 4 hours at a time. I've also burned them non-stop.

Although I have not had a problem with soot or smoking, the candle does tunnel...pretty bad with a non-stop burn with melt pool never reaching the sides.

Scent throw is about average. Not better, not any worse than any scent throw I would expect from one of the bigger companies.

The "crackling" fire sound-is just not all it's CRACKED up to be, in my opinion...but the flame is very neat looking and clean burning. Extremley over-rated in the marketing department...again, just my opinion.

Also, the wood wick will just about drown in the wax if you move the candle ever so gently. And, it's kinda hard to keep your wood wick trimmed without getting burnt wick parts in your wax.

Not terribly new idea:

"The Rushlight or Rush Candle of Old England

From The Rushlight, Vol. 1. No. 4; Feb. 1935 Readers of Shakespeare and Milton, of Scott and Dickens, of Charlotte Bronte and other writers, are probably familiar with the rushlight of English literature, but few of them perhaps have any distinct mental picture of it and how it was made. Figures given here are from the years between 1750 and 1800.

The common Soft or Candle Rush of Europe is identical with the common Bog, Soft or Water Rush (Juncus effusus L.) of our own Worcester County, where it grows freely in wet meadows, and along brooks and the borders of ponds. The Candle Rush has a round, green, erect stem up to four feet tall, filled with a soft, white pith. There are no leaves, but several inches below the pointed tip of the plant is a many-branched cluster of small inconspicuous flowers.

The best time to collect the rushes for candle-making was in the summer or early fall. As soon as the rushes were cut, they were put to soak, so that the peel or outer skin would strip easily. Small children, old people, and even the blind became very proficient in removing this skin, always leaving narrow strip to hold the pith together. When this was done, the rushes were left out on the grass to bleach and to collect dew for several nights; they were then dried in the sun. All the fats and grease of the household were saved, and if a little beeswax or mutton suet could be added to the mixture, it gave a clearer light and burned longer. The rushes were dipped in this boiling mixture, and when carefully done gave a good clear light."

http://www.rushlight.org/ under "research"

cool post, thanks for sharing

Not terribly new idea:

"The Rushlight or Rush Candle of Old England

From The Rushlight, Vol. 1. No. 4; Feb. 1935 Readers of Shakespeare and Milton, of Scott and Dickens, of Charlotte Bronte and other writers, are probably familiar with the rushlight of English literature, but few of them perhaps have any distinct mental picture of it and how it was made. Figures given here are from the years between 1750 and 1800.

The common Soft or Candle Rush of Europe is identical with the common Bog, Soft or Water Rush (Juncus effusus L.) of our own Worcester County, where it grows freely in wet meadows, and along brooks and the borders of ponds. The Candle Rush has a round, green, erect stem up to four feet tall, filled with a soft, white pith. There are no leaves, but several inches below the pointed tip of the plant is a many-branched cluster of small inconspicuous flowers.

The best time to collect the rushes for candle-making was in the summer or early fall. As soon as the rushes were cut, they were put to soak, so that the peel or outer skin would strip easily. Small children, old people, and even the blind became very proficient in removing this skin, always leaving narrow strip to hold the pith together. When this was done, the rushes were left out on the grass to bleach and to collect dew for several nights; they were then dried in the sun. All the fats and grease of the household were saved, and if a little beeswax or mutton suet could be added to the mixture, it gave a clearer light and burned longer. The rushes were dipped in this boiling mixture, and when carefully done gave a good clear light."

http://www.rushlight.org/ under "research"

Yeah it's interesting stuff, that's not the whole article but as a rule, I don't post entire articles only small portions, the rest is quite interesting reading, the articles available publicly on rushlight.org

Rushlights are a strange thing to burn, a little dirty and messy, but they do give a good light for such a primitive candle. They must be burned at an angle generally though, as the rush is not entirely consumed by the flame as it burns. The rush chosen is very important, not all rushes/reeds work. Reproduction rush holders are easy to get too, most of the "antique" ones on ebay are newer, originals are scarce.