Stratch and Sniff

After reading through several of the posts here.... I had actually wondered if there was anything like stratch and sniff that you could place on the labels as well?

Don't remember if this discussion about this was already talked about but no inquiries came up after I searched in the search box........... just curious to see if anyone knew it was out there?

Yeah... Duh me! :P But actually I was thinking of examples like... if for examples, tarts and votives were shrink wrapped... and want to show to people at work or wherever...that they could smell it without opening the package itself and also if ran out of samples or something happened to them?

I think my question was wayyy too odd and wayyy out there and I'm not even sure if it was the right question!

If I were mailing brochures or new scent names to people, it would be great if they could "smell" them. I have family in AZ and other areas around the country and I am not familiar with what scents they like. When I was putting my Christmas packages together, they received all MY favorites...lol.

I know companies that do this, especially to advertise new scents, but I don't know how we would get a "true" scent onto a sheet of paper.....

I know companies that do this, especially to advertise new scents, but I don't know how we would get a "true" scent onto a sheet of paper.....

I suppose you could put a drop of oil in a cotton ball in a cello bag and send it off as a sample to your friends? I think there would have to be a disclaimer on the paper scent, similar to paint chips.

Info:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question274.htm

Give this a try:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_kids_family_activities/article/0,1801,HGTV_3123_1395133,00.html

With a little brainstorming and creativity maybe you can create your own scratch and sniff stickers. Seems like you would need unflavored gelatin.

(I'm probably off my rocker been at work way too long!!)

If I were mailing brochures or new scent names to people, it would be great if they could "smell" them. I have family in AZ and other areas around the country and I am not familiar with what scents they like. When I was putting my Christmas packages together, they received all MY favorites...lol.

Robin made a terrific suggestion in the Business section the other day (at least I'm pretty sure it was her..lol)

Use business cards and lightly dip half of the card in a clear scented wax. They'll get a good idea of what the candle would smell like :D

Robin made a terrific suggestion in the Business section the other day (at least I'm pretty sure it was her..lol)

Use business cards and lightly dip half of the card in a clear scented wax. They'll get a good idea of what the candle would smell like :D

That's right...I did see that!

here's an idea. :D

get yourself one of them car air freshener blanks in sheets

get a heart or star punch out, found at scrapbookin sections

punch out bunches of these little mini shape

drop few drops of f/o on them and put in tiny little ziplock baggie

and have ppl sniff them. :)

i believe you can buy 8x11 sheets at oak creations place.

not sure on the link but they do sell them.

HTH

Dani

here's an idea. :D

get yourself one of them car air freshener blanks in sheets

get a heart or star punch out, found at scrapbookin sections

punch out bunches of these little mini shape

drop few drops of f/o on them and put in tiny little ziplock baggie

and have ppl sniff them. :)

i believe you can buy 8x11 sheets at oak creations place.

not sure on the link but they do sell them.

HTH

Dani

That is a great idea!!!

I bought these little 2 inch 'snippets' from Sweet Pea N Me and they're perfect! They have different shapes like hearts, stars and each comes with a ziploc bag. You just put alittle drop of oil and away you go BUT you can't get them there as her website just closed down or something. This is the second time that happened to me since last summer when I find someone to do my labels.

www.sweetpeanme.com

Sorry I'm not much help unless someone else knows where to get these.

Shannon

ETA

OK scrap that idea, I didn't see Dani's post on the second page!!

I bought these little 2 inch 'snippets' from Sweet Pea N Me and they're perfect! They have different shapes like hearts, stars and each comes with a ziploc bag. You just put alittle drop of oil and away you go BUT you can't get them there as her website just closed down or something. This is the second time that happened to me since last summer when I find someone to do my labels.

www.sweetpeanme.com

Sorry I'm not much help unless someone else knows where to get these.

Shannon

ETA

OK scrap that idea, I didn't see Dani's post on the second page!!

Sorry to say but Sweet pea n me is closed down, she decided to close down her business due to her new upcoming birth of her 2nd child.

But I am not sure if she'll come back later down the road. but yes shannon those scent snippits are awesome!!! i love them!

Dani

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 9yo daughter and we made scented stickers out of a bag of foamy pieces that we found at wal-mart. We put glu-stick on the back of the stickers and then painted on scent. I put a drop of each scent in with a drop of mineral spirits to help spread the scent oil over the foamy piece.

I should note that we had to keep them sealed up until use as the scent seemed to get stronger with the mineral spirits.

I had looked up scratch and sniff in order to try and duplicate the process, but when I realized that actual scratch and sniff stickers are done by a process of binding the scent to polymer fragments that dispers when scratched and broken, I figured there has to be an easier way.

• 6 months later...

In our brick & mortar shop there is absolutely NO way to light one of each of our tarts. They too are shrink wrapped (or packaged and labeled in cello baggies) and are sometimes quite difficult to smell throught the packaging. I've tried punching a hole in the package but that didn't bring out anywhere near the amt of scent that they have OUT of the package. So scratch and sniffs sound like a GREAT idea!

A fellow shopowner brought in an older Yankee magazine last week and every other page had a scratch and sniff "jar" with awesome true-to-life-FO scents! She gets these "scented" wholesale catalogs every few months. Any idea how yank would get plain paper to have such a strong throw of scent?

~ Mt Annie ~

===================

When showing co-workers, etc. bring unwrapped samples for them to sniff. Better yet, burn a candle at your desk at work.

There's nothing better than the real thing.

you can also buy the material online from various suppliers to make the car air fresheners that hang from your mirror..maybe buy some and soak them in the scent you wish for them to smell, when it dries have the samples with you or mail them out etc... hope this helps, good luck !