Website Business Questions

summerbug

To all you veterns out there...

I am thinking of starting up a website for my candles and was wondering if those of you have crossed this bridge have any suggestions? My main questions are:

How much stock did you start with

How many items do you sell monthly (hope this isn't too personal to ask)

and anything else is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You dont have to have stock made up to have a website, you can do made to order.

As for how many online orders I get a month, it's all over the place. But often people will see my site and then call. Dont expect to get a ton of orders as soon as you open up! hth

I don't have my site on any search engines yet and it's been since January! LOL That said, I've had ONE order from my website from friends and family that I've sent the link to (Thanks, Cindy!)

I personally don't feel my business will thrive because of the website. I don't expect misc people to find my site and order. IMO, people like to sniff candles before they buy them. I feel my website just helps being there, but I don't plan on getting much revenue from it...

You don't need to have a lot of stock to start with because candles can be made in one day (unlike other things which take a long time, like hand knit sweaters) and like Linnyeg said, you can make them when someone orders them. You just need to have at least one of each size/scent so you can take photos to place on your website. I don't get a lot of orders through my website, but I like having it there because it's a good way for customers to see what new products and/or specials I have. It's a much more cost effective way than printing brochures or a catalog, especially if your products change regularly.