Testing

Hi All!

I need to make a pillar for a guy I work with to give to his wife. Its going to be a 4 x 4.5, OK6228, scented Vanilla. I havnt done much testing cause I usually just make the candles for fun and keep them for myself. But now, I need to test this pillar today and wanted to have his ready for tomorrow (he's paying 15.00 for it!) I dont wanna make the entire pillar to test, so I was thinking, I can take my 4 x 4.5 mold and just pour it maybe 1/4 of the way full just to see what kinda melt pool I get and if the wick Im using is the right size. Do you guys make the entire candle to test or just a little? Also, I only have 1 oz of the vanilla FO, so I dont think I can use it in the testing. I have some OK6228 scented Cappaccino Hazelnut (with a lil bit of vybar to prevent bubbles) that I was going to melt and use to test.

Thanks for your info!

Yeah, 100% agree with Scented. I use OK6228 and things can happen 1/2 way down that don't happen on the first inch or two. Wicks that look perfect can begin to drown out after 3 inches has burned perfectly. It's sad isn't it? I can tell you that for a candle that size, you need a pretty large wick (or, at least, I do).

DanaE

DiamondK is right. OK6228 is a pre-blended wax. It probably already has vybar in it. If you add more, you will bind up your scent completely and end up with an unscented candle. And the testing part...you really have to test the whole thing. You may have to rewick that sucker 2 or 3 times before you find the right one. I know, I know, it's a pain in the butt...but you surely don't want to sell a candle for $15.00 to a friend and then have it perform poorly....he won't ever buy another one.

I use the OK6228... which I just found out actually.....lol... anyway, If you do your first pour at 175 and second at 185, they turn out fantastic. As for testing, I dont use that big of a mold, but with my 3 x 3 I use flat braid #24 and it seems to work really well. for that big of a candle, I would start out maybe with maybe the next size up or see what your mold recommends.... I am fairly new to pillars, but wanted to put in my 2 cents worth :)

I've seen many people here say the make 3 x 3 for testers of the 3" pillars. Personally, I make them full sized. You never know what might happen farther down than 3", especially if you're testing for 6" or 9" pillars. I want to KNOW that they're not going to blowout halfway down. Well, be reasonably certain anyway, never know what John Q Public will do to it. :rolleyes2