Soy oil and smelly jelly beads

Kristy K

I am not sure where this question would fit, but I thought I would go to all of you first. I have a couple of bottles of soy oil and a couple of pounds of smelly jelly beads just sitting here. I would rather use them if possible instead of selling them for next to nothing. Anyway, my question is, can't you use soy oil for cooking or is that just gross? Also, could I add the smelly jelly beads to my house plants to help with keeping them moist longer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Kristy

Soy can be used in just about anything that olive or any other oil can be used in. At least as far as scrubs and such. I don't make CP soap so I can't speak for that.

Some soy oils can have a scent of their own and you have to work around that. Far as the smelly Jelly's... it's not normally what you add to them- I don't even know that they would absorb oil like they do water, please let us know if you try it. Seems like i've seen it added to the crystals in a sachet bag type freshener though- not sure. But far as putting in a clear jar, it would look bad very soon due to the nature of oil, it would attract dust. Also I don't think the scent would permeate as it should since the water in the smelly Jelly is what evaporates and brings some of the FO up with it.

And as has been posted before, yep you can use them in your plants. In fact, there are a lot of plants that you can grow in the crystals and water alone. It's a really pretty effect and the plants like them because it is a constant source of water with out the dry out periods of normal watering or flooding. Some plants like that though too. You just have to a do a bit of research. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you.:grin2:

Soy can be used in just about anything that olive or any other oil can be used in. At least as far as scrubs and such. I don't make CP soap so I can't speak for that.

Some soy oils can have a scent of their own and you have to work around that. Far as the smelly Jelly's... it's not normally what you add to them- I don't even know that they would absorb oil like they do water, please let us know if you try it. Seems like i've seen it added to the crystals in a sachet bag type freshener though- not sure. But far as putting in a clear jar, it would look bad very soon due to the nature of oil, it would attract dust. Also I don't think the scent would permeate as it should since the water in the smelly Jelly is what evaporates and brings some of the FO up with it.

And as has been posted before, yep you can use them in your plants. In fact, there are a lot of plants that you can grow in the crystals and water alone. It's a really pretty effect and the plants like them because it is a constant source of water with out the dry out periods of normal watering or flooding. Some plants like that though too. You just have to a do a bit of research. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you.:grin2:

You mis-read Kristy K's question, which was 2 questions.

1 - can't you use soy oil for cooking or is that just gross?

2- could I add the smelly jelly beads to my house plants to help with keeping them moist longer?

I stand corrected...

I must have thought the 'for cooking' part was a qualifier for what kind of oil. My bad.

Look on the back of any bottle of regular ol vegetable cooking oil. Odds are it IS soy oil.

How's that Candle man?:D

I'd answer q #2 but I think it's hardly necessary now as long as she checked out that link from you.:wink2: