Do you all think it's gonna be a good season for us....

Sharon in PA

Considering all the finacial crap we're all going to be dealing with this winter? I guess what I am saying is, are folks gonna want to spend much with the money worries like fuel and energy costs, etc...?

I need some thoughts on this as I am hearing from some co-workers that they have a feeling it may affect how well us retailers do this Christmas...:undecided

What do you think??

I think it's going to be hit or miss. With gas prices currently going down, I think that helps, but who knows what will happen if costs to heat homes and businesses will spiral out of control as it gets much cooler, and it's predicted to do so. I know some people are being ever so cautious with their money and bracing for that, and it's not just affecting the candle business.

We'll find out with 11 more shows to go. I think gas prices are still too unsure and too unstable right now to really know what's going to happen.

I was wondering the same thing myself. My friend's mom tried to talk me into doing a craft show with her in November but I passed. I don't do craft shows anymore anyway because of the bazillion candlmakers they cram into a small show, but also because I don't see people parting with their money for crafts right now. I've decided to have my holiday open house the first week in December this year hoping that people will be more in holiday mode when it's a little closer. Hopefully we'll all be surprised.

Sharon, where in PA are you?

Trae

Right now I feel it will be good for us. I feel money will be tight, eliminating those "expensive" gifts and people will turn to handcrafted more "old home" gifts which our products fit in perfectly.

Old home - family, value, things that make you feel good, secure, good times.

FWIW

My feeling is that people might hold on to their money some but if you have an excellent reputation for quality in your product, that will help a great deal. I have the biggest show I do all year coming up in two weeks and I am expect great sales because of the flop of the Italian fest show I pulled out of due to heat.

Also, many local chandlers have either dropped out of candle making or aren't doing the bigger shows because of building larger inventory for it VS selling said inventory at the shows. Many still do it because they will not be competeing against Companies like HI, PL and GC.:yay: :highfive:

I hope it will be a good Holiday season!

I sold 4 baskets this week. 2 for donations to school fall festivals and 2 birthday gifts. That is not too bad, or at least I don't think so. I have had several people tell me that are going to be contacting me for xmas baskets. I think it will be good. Christmas is a time of giving.

I hope we all ahve high sales and do well at the craft shows.

I'm with you SouthernScents, I hope we all do well also. I am glad to hear you're doing good, so far. Thank God for repeat cutomers!!!

Sudsnwicks, I have thought the same thing, we don't sell the "high ticket" items that some do, a pretty, quality gift at a reasonable price! Compared to the big candle retailers, our prices are reasonable. we are trying to come up w/ more gift packages, making shopping easier w/ less thinking on the consumers part.

David, I like your thinking, I hope you are right!

Fire and Ice, Best of luck w/ your show!!! Let us know how you do, maybe that will ease some of the pre-holiday jitters i am getting!!! (gotta make back some of this $$$!!!:rolleyes2 )

Thanks for your thoughts, guys, I have gotten some new perspective from you all!!!

Here's to a terrific season for all of us!!!:yay:

Guest EMercier

Well, for one, if people don't want to get out, go to them. I'm trying to set up as many home parties as possible. With some women (like last year) they bought for a lot of people. I made $1000 for two hours of work and that included setting up, taking down, and getting the orders and money. Also, I have a show I did last yeat at a Jewish Temple and did pretty well. Might go back to that. Other than that. I'm doing home shows. I've changed a few things as well to be more economical for myself and for the people buying them.

Yea, E, I agree w/ the home shows being a good way to go. Sure sounds like it's working great for you,whew!! I have done one in my home and one at a friends and I am hoping to set up a few more in the next few days. They are really nice, and I have heard that if things go well, they can really snowball for you.

I have 8 shows lined up, a fundraiser set to start up next week (that'll actually roll into 2 months of orders) I'll do another home show myself closer to Christmas, and I am thinking about approaching my sons pre-school for another fundraiser.

I am expanding on the tart-warmer starter gift bags from last year, and am going to do small bags w/ a like an 8oz jar, votives, tarts, or body spray... we did great w/ the bags last year...I will find out soon how our wholesale client is going to order, going to send her our new scent list early this week...

(keeping fingers crossed for us all!!)

Scented, you guys sure are busy! Have they been one day shows?

Well, I've done 2 September shows, which were repeat shows from last year, and they did about the same as last year, so I am happy. Wish I could have done more, but did 10x booth, so I am happy. But, I am NOT holding my breath. I am approaching each show with trepidation (sp?) We will take it as they come. I am going to try to push outside sales to boost sales as much as possible, and try to get some home shows and wholesale accounts (need to anyway). Good luck to all!

KimO

So far Sharon four of the five have been one day small shows, but we're just sampling some areas. We've got two two-day shows on the schedule coming up soon and will see how those go. We're also contemplating a four-day one where we don't even have to be there lol or pay booth fees.

At the show we did this weekend, I thought the smaller tins would do well and the higher priced pillars and 'canes wouldn't. It was just the opposite. I didn't sell one tin and only a handful of votives. Wickless and melties were bid and the pillars were the best sellers. I heard a few people already talking about Christmas shopping...

ok.....what the heck kind of show is that? Sounds good to me, I personally dislike doing craft shows....,and not have to pay?:confused: Wow! Bonus! Please explain..:shocked2:

LOL it's a fund-raiser for an organization. They bring in crafters and like 30% of your sales go to them. I'm iffy on it this year since it would tie up our stock, but we fared pretty well. We're given an option to volunteer if we want, but it's a big event with invitation to come and a ton of festivities that draw people there. Outside of that, we did a 5-hour show with no booth fee. Guess it depends on who ya know sometimes lol.