Where to buy goats milk soap base?

leisa2003

Hi Leisa! Here is the link to Camden-Grey here in Florida. (Miami) Their prices are pretty fair. Their shipping has came down too, a bit anyway! Here it is;

http://www.bestdeal.org/essential-camden/mandpgoat-2.html

They have several M&P bases to choose from. They even have a new GM lotion & cream base; all you do is add DW and thin to your consistancy. Everything is allready in there, all you do is add your EO's or FO's. HTH

Paul....:D

I use the sfic but don't find it drying. However, I have to agree with Carebear about the cp soaps. I don't know what was in the bar I just bathed with, but I bought it from Grumpy. It's the best damn soap I've ever used!!

When I can't get sfic, I use http://www.chemistrystore.com/glycerin_soap.htm

I think it's the same kind that soapmaker man referred to above. That site doesn't list the ingredients, but the description is the same. I get it from chemistry store cause it's here in SC.

Wish I did cp, but I'm up to my eyeballs with too many other projects.

Hi Again!!!

Its not so much as dry skin, its like bumps...the dr. said its from the harsh chemicals in (over the counter) soaps that its throwing my ph levels off in my body, thats causing this type of eczema. I have also been advised by him to use a free and clear laundry detergent with 1/4 C. of baking soda. Ok, so now my next question...I have never made anything but M&P glycerin soap before, so what is the cp soap, and the difference in that to the M&P soap?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Leisa

Paul, I have to ask!!!

Do you have a website where you sell your soaps and lotions? If so, will you e-mail me the link?

Thanks, Leisa

Not yet....but I have contacted someone who is putting one together for my GM soaps, creams, & lotions. I think I'll have my TOG Moulds in the same web-site, also. Look for it hopefully by the end of February. Until then you can E-mail me ;

soapmoldmaker@wmconnect.com

I can telly you that there is a HUGE difference between a GM M&P base and a true GM CP soap! I use GM, aloevera juice, silk, and 9 other oils and butters in my main recipe. It does contain beef tallow I render and lard...i just love AF's! I can do the same recipe in a vegan soap, too. Glad to meet you here at CT!:yay:

Paul....;)

Leisa, the basic difference between M&P and cold process (CP) soaps (the kind I make) is that cold process soaps are made from scratch from food grade oils. I start with olive oil, for example, and use a lot of that because it's gentle and conditioning. Then I add a few other oils for their lathering qualities or because they contribute to bar hardness.

M&P, on the other hand, has synthetic detergents. Nothing wrong with synthetic detergents if your skin can handle them, but they do not agree with some people's skin. For example, slsa makes some people have a burning, itching sensation on their skin. I'm one of them. SO I have to be careful with that particular ingredient.

When soap is made, typically water is used. But GM soap is made with goat milk in place of all or part of the water.

To summarize: CP is handmade SOAP. M&P is detergent soap. Hope that makes sense. It does in my wee brain, anyway! lol

Leisa, the basic difference between M&P and cold process (CP) soaps (the kind I make) is that cold process soaps are made from scratch from food grade oils. I start with olive oil, for example, and use a lot of that because it's gentle and conditioning. Then I add a few other oils for their lathering qualities or because they contribute to bar hardness.

M&P, on the other hand, has synthetic detergents. Nothing wrong with synthetic detergents if your skin can handle them, but they do not agree with some people's skin. For example, slsa makes some people have a burning, itching sensation on their skin. I'm one of them. SO I have to be careful with that particular ingredient.

When soap is made, typically water is used. But GM soap is made with goat milk in place of all or part of the water.

To summarize: CP is handmade SOAP. M&P is detergent soap. Hope that makes sense. It does in my wee brain, anyway! lol

Great job explaining the difference, AJ!:yay:

Sorry Crafty, but I think you are providing information that is not totally correct. Perhaps you are thinking about commercial soaps like Irish Spring or Dial that have detergents in them. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for an m&p base to contain detergent, but that the most popular m&P supplier, SFIC, does not have detergents in their base.

Here is a list of ingredients for their GM base:

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin), Goat’s Milk, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent)

Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifer), Soy bean protein (condition),

Titanium Dioxide (mineral whitener used in opaque soaps)

You can go to their site and see more details about their soap if you like:

http://sficcorp.com/about_sfic_soap_info_home.htm

Most people would probably agree that handcrafted soap is better than m&p; and, provided you buy quality m&p, most people would agree that it is better than commercial soaps. Like with everything though, some handcrafted soap is better than others and some m&p is better than others.

If someone isn't interested in making time-consuming CP or HP soap, m&p is a good alternative.