Soy and dye questions........

I am using GB 444 wax and liquid dyes. I am not satisfied with the colors of the liquid. (especially the burgundy and rust) I am thinking of getting some chips or flakes to try. Any suggestions where to start and which company is the best supplier for soy compatible colors that won't clog the wick too much. When I do searches it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks in advance for your advice.:embarasse

Excellent question, I can't wait to hear some of the answers.

I have found that Moonglow offers Soy based dyes, but only 4 colors, so you'll have to get a color wheel and start experimenting to get the colors you want. I had been using Redi-Glo chips from Peak, but discovered they're Paraffin based. I understand that Redi-Glo make soy based ones too, but haven't tried those, and Peak doesn't sell them.

I've heard a lot of good things about the color crystals being sold at Makes Scents in Ohio. I really want to try them since reviews say the color is very consistent & works well in soy. Has anyone tried these to give an accurate review?

Susan.

I use liquid dyes and can usually get those colors with no problem. If your burgandy is not dark enough, try adding a little black to it. Soy will hold a good amount of dye before you have to worry about it clogging the wick.

I'm using little dye blocks that came from Lone Star and using it with the soy from the candle making kit.

I've never used anything else, since I've just started learning.

But I love working with the product. Easy to use and produces just about any color you can imagine. For deeper shades, I just put in a little black.

It seems you only have to shave off very little too. I wish I could post a picture. I made a really pretty red tonight and a beautiful shade of blue the other night. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I use liquid dyes and can usually get those colors with no problem. If your burgandy is not dark enough, try adding a little black to it. Soy will hold a good amount of dye before you have to worry about it clogging the wick.

First of all, thank you to everyone for your input.

The Burgundy and the rust brown are both aweful. I get alot of frosting with these colors. I did try to add black but that made the frosting worse and didn't give me a true color. I think that I was putting too much dye in to achieve the color I wanted but when I stick to the 7-9 drops pp the colors are pastelly (if that's a word) I'm not concerned about the liquid clogging the wick, I'm worried more about the ugly frosting I'm getting.