smokey wicks

After testing a whole lot of wicks, and going round & round, I finally decided that CD's were best in my current applications with soy. However, when I extinguish some of my candles, there's a whole lot of smoke. It's happened enough times for me to raise an eyebrow. I swear after all the testing of all these wicks, I'm not going through that again! I'm confident that I was thorough in my testing, so aside from using wick dippers, do I deal with it or am I off somewhere in my formulas? :undecided What do you think?

This will happen with all wicks that are blown out to one extent or the other. I educate my customers on how to extinquish their wick to eliminate the smoking. I tell them to dip the wick into their wax pool and then lift it back out. I also educate my wholesale accounts in this manner so they know what to tell the customers if this issue should ever arise.

In the 6 years I have been selling candles; wholesale and retail, I have had only one customer return a candle with that excuse. The reason I say "excuse" is she also told the wholesale account she did not like the fragrance and wanted to return the candle. When the wholesale account told her she could not return it due to not liking the fragrance, she then told them the wick smoked when she "blew" it out. So, in reality, I did not have any customers returning candles due to smoking when the candle was extinquished. HTH

I've had the same problem with mine and didn't quite know what to think. Of course, I'm still in the testing phase which I will probably NEVER get out of! lol Hey, silvermoon, where ya at in Illinois? I'm down south. We were up near Peoria this past weekend for my brother's wedding. That was a trip! lol Anyway, I guess I'll do as suggested and dip my wicks in the wax to extinguish. Thanks for the ideas! :)

Stephanie

We have less problem with smoking when we snuff the candle by placing a top or something else over it to deprive the flame of oxygen. We leave the "snuffer" over the wick for several moments AFTER the flame goes out to assure that no part of the wick is still smoldering.

I can't imagine dousing the wick each time in the melt pool! How long are your wicks? I have absolutely no faith that our customers would do the same... I feel fortunate when folks assure me that they have been trimming their wicks before burning our candles!

If you pay attention you'll probably notice the candles that smoke more when blown out are the ones with more mushroom or carbon residue at the tip of the wick.

ok duh top!

Steph I'm right by Chicago, we took a drive to Peaoria last month, man that was pretty long!

lol That drive does suck. We had to go just past Peoria to G-burg. It was 5 hours from my house to there! Also, we were in my boyfriend's truck which is a Silverado regular cab. Going up wasn't as bad as coming back. My daughter is getting too tall! We really need a quad cab! lol

Stephanie