Container Candle Curing Questions

Hi, I just poured my first containers...J223/Mango Papaya (1.5oz per pound)/Coral/Peach liquid dye.

They turned out so cute!!! :yay: But, I have a couple of questions:

1) As they cure, should I put the lid on them or leave it off, or does it even matter?

2) I have wet spots. I honestly don't think it looks bad at all, but I know I'm not supposed to have them. So how do I prevent this? I heated wax to 175 and poured at about 165. I heated the glass, but in so doing the wax on the wicks started to melt so I took them out of the oven and I think they cooled before I got a chance to pour. Could anything I've done be part of the problem?

TIA.

I put the wicks in after the jars have warmed using hot glue gun.

After it's centered I tape the top of the wick to my cupboard crown to hold in place while I pour (instead of using those wick bar things.)

I have a toaster oven under the counter, so I just cover it with aluminum foil and it's perfect height to put the jars on.

I put lids on after they are completely cool. Wet spots are pretty hard to avoid. Some waxs have more problems then others with wet spots. Usually good to cure 48 hours or longer. Also good to cover them with a box to let them cool slowly. You may want to try tins sometime, dont have to worry about wet spots.:)

J223 is one wax I used that had a lot of wet spots, I did find that cooling them slow helped. Their are a lot of positives to this wax, great colors can be acheived and the throw is awesome. You could probably cut back on the fo to 1 oz pp. Once it is completely cooled I don't see why you can't burn one to test. I test after 24 hours not using soy. The veggie blends seem to not need a cure time.

I use J223 wax as well:) I heat my jars at least 10 mins in my toaster oven on the lowest warm temp. I heat my wax to 180, add dye, stir well, add fo, stir at least 1 minute to blend. I let the wax cool to 150 and pour. I very seldom have wet spots:) but sometimes they just happen, i don't like them either:) but as long as the burn is good and the candle has a great scent throw, i don't worry about it and most of my customers are just concerned about scent throw anyway:)

when your poured candle is completely cooled, then put your lid on the candle. I usually let my candles cure at least 1 week before burning the candle or test burning. HTH:D

Thanx for all the replies. You all are a huge help. One more question, if I may:

There was a slight bit of shrinkage in the containers, so looking at the containers from the side, you can see wax residue. I am thinking I can zap it with a heat gun. Is this correct? And if so, do I heat the container from the outside or inside?

I get this with a few scents, especially lovespell for some reason. I use my heat gun and take care of it when smoothing the tops of my candles. I heat the inside by going around the edge of the jar opening, ocassionally I have to use the corner of a paper towel to get some of the residue off.

OK, my candles after 2 hour burn. One has too small a wick and is tunneling (I know). But what do you all think of the other two (far left and middle)? Do these look ok, or are they burning too fast? Melt pool on both is approx 1/2". TIA.

Oh, and they smell AWESOME! Could smell them moments after they were lit! :yay: :highfive:

mango5oztest2hrsfront1kz3.th.jpg mango5oztest2hrsfront2mp1.th.jpg mango5oztest2hrstopxx4.th.jpg

I use J223 too !:yay: Best wax ever. I use a tin, so I don't see wet spots, and if I did use a clear jar, that would be my least worry. An awesome scent throw is what I'm out to acheive.

I let my candles cure minium one week before I would sell it, or test burn it. Definalty put the lids on and wait. I can make a batch of candles, and after day 2, the smell is smellable (if that's a word) but at least a week later, I can take the lid off and it will blow me away ! My candle combination of wax, wick and fragrance oil is like wine. The longer they sit, the better they get ! 2 weeks out, they are positivly good to go !

Jamie

I love those jars! What scent are they? The color is very melony & fresh looking!

I'd personally choose the middle one...the left burn pic is very clean and doesn't have the small amount of hang-up that appears to be in the middle pic, but IMO the pool may be a bit deep. I like the middle burn even with the slight hang-up (I hope it's not my eyes deceiving me and there is actually a bit of hang-up in the corner!)...

Great job!!!

ETA: Forgot the main purpose of your thread...lol...I cure with lids on to keep dust & whatnot from settling on the wax. I don't put the lids on until the candles have set up.

I love those jars! What scent are they? The color is very melony & fresh looking!

Thank you. I really like these jars too. I have 5oz and 10oz sizes of these (the ones pictured are 5oz). Oh and the candle scent is Mango Papaya.

I'd personally choose the middle one...the left burn pic is very clean and doesn't have the small amount of hang-up that appears to be in the middle pic, but IMO the pool may be a bit deep. I like the middle burn even with the slight hang-up (I hope it's not my eyes deceiving me and there is actually a bit of hang-up in the corner!)...

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is "hang-up"? If you mean that little bit of extra wax in the corner that didn't quite melt (in the middle picture), I think that's because my wick was a bit off center. So hopefully I could correct that the next time around.

Anyway, I was thinking the middle one was best too. The wick on the left mushroomed like crazy right off the bat. :( And the glass in the middle had a slightly smaller melt pool. Only slightly, though.

But should the melt pools be that deep after only 2 hours???

Great job!!!

Thank you! For a first try, I must say I am pretty darn happy with the outcomes.

You got it. Hang-up would be that bit of wax that is stubbornly refusing to melt!

That is a complicated jar IMO. "They" (must be the candle gods) say that a full melt pool should be achieved after 1 hour for every inch of the container's diameter and the melt pool shouldn't be deeper than 1/2 inch.

As I said before, the melt pool on that one candle seems a little deep to me and the bit of hang-up you have in the middle candle wouldn't cause me any concern b/c 1) I think it will catch up on subsequent burns and 2) you mentioned you may have an off-centered wick. How deep is your melt pool in the middle pick? And, what are the container's measurements?

Btw, you hit the nail on the head with the color & scent combination!

Sorry-can't help you on the burn time!