cp soap help

ladeanad

Hello,

can someone help me out.. I'm so dissapointed in my cp soap .. I'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong :cry2:

i've made only 4 batches of cp soap so far.. and I love it but sometimes it just turns into a big mess of mush !!

i add my lye to my water and melt my solid oils, and than add my liquids...

i let everything get to right around 95-100

i add my lye to my oil mixture.. and use my stick blender to get everything mixed..

i than added 3 oz of lilac f.o. and omg.. it turned into a big glob of mess..

what could i be doing wrong ? Do you think i'm mixing to much and before i know it.. its too thick ?

i just ended up throwing this batch out.. there was no way i was even going to save this stuff.. and i'm out of lye so i couldn't get back on the band wagon and make another batch .. such a bummer..

Would anyone like to be my soap making buddy ?

i really want to get this cp soap mastered but right now i feel like a total failure:undecided

can someone give me some pointers ?

tia !!!!

Well I believe lilac is a seizer, perhaps. Some are, or rapid accelerators. I know I read that somewhere. Next time add your FO to your oils before you add the lye. That might help some.

And, in remembering Bunny's coaching, you only want a few zaps from that SB and a light trace.

It's going to take someone with way more expertise and experience than I have though to help ya. The things above are what have helped me with everything but Drakkar lol. Though I'm contemplating a little Drakkar action for the third time. I will beat and stir through potential false tracing this time.

gosh.. i didn't even know you could add your fragrance before you add your lye solution.. i have lots to learn..

can you always do this ? I mean add the f.o before you add the lye ?

wouldn't you know.. i would go and pick a fragrance oil that would seize the minute i added it ...

my first batch of pumpkin cp soap turned out really nice.. my 2nd batch of pumpkin seized like crazy as well.. my 3rd batch which i used passionate kisses turned out good.. but it took forever to dry.. and today.. a blob :undecided

i'm going to keep trying.. i just have to learn not to go so heavy on that darn stick blender..

Also not all fragrance oils work in CP, just because they say skin safe, doesn’t mean they were formulated to work in CP. You should always buy your fragrances for CP from a reputable soap supply company since they formulate for CP. They should also have CP notes that are listed next to the fragrance. Telling you if it seizes or discolors your batch. It’s always better to be extra cautious than wasting money on ruined batches.

With an fo that accelarates really fast, like ocean, I add the fo to the oils before the lye, I don't use a stick blender, get it all emulsified, trying to keep it at light trace, add color, never try to swirl and just mix til I feel it is all emulsifyed pour and insulate. glad I masterbatch because it takes like five minutes to make the soap and forever to get ready lol

Florals, especially the really heady ones like lilac and gardenia, are really hard to work with. Even those that are approved for soaps. Sometimes they web sites say that florals accelerate so soap cool and be prepared - but I gave up on CPing them. Now I want to get good at HP so I can try it that way!

I soaped Peak's Lilac years ago and it did fine. This is an excellent site for checking oils before soaping them. Obisoap. I always add my FO to my oils, before the lye, unless it's going to discolor. In that case, I mix to a thin trace, take some out for my swirl, then add the FO to the rest.

You really need to go easy with the SB. Pulse for a few seconds, stir by hand with the SB, pulse again, etc. As soon as the color turns from clear to opaque (like pancake batter) trace has started. You can stop then or any point thereafter.

You can have many soap buddies, LOL. We are here to help!