Left my soap in the pot too long

LindaColo

I did a batch of cp soap. Stirred the soap until it reminded me of pudding, but the soap had oil floating on the top when it was all in the mold. Well, figuring that it was a false trace, the soap when back into the bowl to be stirred for a while.

I left the soap for a moment (saw something on the floor and put it in the trash). When I went back to stir, the soap was so thick the spoon refused to budge. The soap is too stiff to roll into balls now. I chiseled it out into a mold.

Should I have left the soap alone the first time it was in the mold?

hmmmm that really sucks. What I probably would have done is thrown it back in the pan and put it in the oven to see what would happen. I may have added some more water, just don't know. Sometimes soap has a mind of it own. I may have just left it in the mold. But....... all that said, maybe if you post your recipe we may be able to find something there that caused it. May have been the fo not incorporating. Soap Fairy's are everywhere.

hmmmm that really sucks. What I probably would have done is thrown it back in the pan and put it in the oven to see what would happen. I may have added some more water, just don't know.

I agree. I just suggested that in another thread. When the soap seizes or rices, forging on with HP can save it. I'd only add more water if a discount had been taken as some of the water will evaporate in the HP process.

920 g batch (the weight was due to the amount of caster oil that was in the bottle)

10% Caster Oil . . . . . . . . 92 grams

15% Coconut Oil (92) . . . 138 grams

20% Palm Kernal Oil Flakes . 184 grams

20% Mango Butter . . . . . .184 grams

23% Safflower (High Oleoic) . 210 grams

3% Canola Oil . . . . . . . . . .25 grams

9% Palm Oil . . . . . . . . . . . 87 grams

Water 350 grams

Lye 132 grams

Hardness 43

Cleansing 22

Condition 53

Bubbly 31

Creamy 30

Iodine 53

INS 151

Soap was made with cold process method.

The fragrance oil used was Sola Kojiki

Must be the temperature. Once the lye was dissolved in the water, I poured it into the just-melted oil.:embarasse

Bada Bing. You just solved the puzzle. It takes hours for the lye water to cool to the proper temp, 100 or less. Oils should be the same. Soaping too hot causes all kinds of problems.

I am with e... I plan my soap batches the night before and I use room temp lye. It is the most predictable for me and I can use FO that normally causes a problem.

When I use warm lye even below or at 100 my soap always turns out different and I do not like it.

Took me years of soaping to discover this. I could have avoided many problems.

I am definitely on the learning curve for making soap. Next time I'll try the freeze method for the lye so I can have more predictable results. Right now my soap looks like putty crammed into a mold. :tongue2:

I'll rebatch the soap later on. I like the scent too much to throw it out.

I use 1/2 ice 1/2 water for my lye. Gets to be 95 degrees in less than 30 minutes.

I wouldn't worry about the hard water Linda. I also wouldn't put my lye water in the freezer. The fumes next to food I'm going to eat? The high temp of the lye water also isn't good to have in the freezer for your food. It might raise the temp in the freezer to unsafe levels.

How do you do it Carriegs? Am I thinking wrong?

I use coooooold water and then pop it in the freezer. I don't make much at a time (enough for a 4# batch absolute max, usually 2#ers) and I haven't noticed any difficulties in my freezer, like freezer burn on my foods or more condensation/frost or anything. But there's not much besides cold air in there anyway...