Hurricane Horrors. How do I get a pic in right? :(

Ilona

So I am trying to make a couple of hurricane candles with pictures as xmas presents and it's not working. santacry

I'm wondering if it may be a wax issues.

I am following directions exacly but when the candle slips out of the mols (easily) the wax on top of the photo just crumples off and the picture falls.

I've been making candles for years and this is my first time with canes, so I know my basics with temp, cooling etc.

What I am thinking is that is it possible that it is the wax itself? I just ordered some 5055 with 180 micro and release to play with, but right now I am just using some generic paraffin.

Would the wax be the problem? Or is there a trick I am missing?

I wanted to make a tinkerbell cane for my sister but it isn't working. santacry

Any help would be much appreciated. If I can find a way to work this out by xmas it would be amazing.

Thanks!

Ilona

It is quite possibly the wax. What are you printing the picture on? I use regular old white copy paper and it works great. Are you letting the picture soak in the mold for a bit to release air? And making sure you have it pressed tight to the side of the mold?

My guess is it is the wax. Generic paraffin probably doesn't have a high enough MP anyway.

I always use HP 24# bright white paper. Just works better for me. Be sure to print out the picture in advance so the ink is dry. Like Georgia said, soak it in you melt pot to get rid of the air in the paper.

You didn't say anything about your water bath. I found out last year that water bath temp is critical this time of year. Try someplace between 80 and 90 degrees. Good Luck

5055 and micro are the right wax to use. I do as Sharyl does and I also add mold release powder and spray mold release on the mold. Don't try to unmold too soon, better to leave overnight. Then they just slide right out. I'm real new to hurricanes too but this works very well.

My guess is it is the wax. Generic paraffin probably doesn't have a high enough MP anyway.

I always use HP 24# bright white paper. Just works better for me. Be sure to print out the picture in advance so the ink is dry. Like Georgia said, soak it in you melt pot to get rid of the air in the paper.

You didn't say anything about your water bath. I found out last year that water bath temp is critical this time of year. Try someplace between 80 and 90 degrees. Good Luck

Sharyl is exactly right. And you can't use just any old paraffin. It just won't work. Ask me how I know that one... (smile)....and I still keep boo hooing and experimenting. The 5055 with micro and the warm waterbath should do the trick. And.....don't unmold too quickly......I wait until it is cold.....then 5 minutes. no more, and it will unmold easily. Good luck. Donita