totally soot free candle wick???

My problem has always been that the tops of my jars soot like crazy. Is there a wick that I can use in my jelly jar candles with a parrafin/soy blend that is totally soot free? This is all thats keeping me from getting sales for my candles.

If there is such a wick, where in the world can I get it???

Thanks for listening:D

Alyce

Not just the wick that causes soot, its the combination of wax, jar, wick and fragrance oils. Too much oil will make them soot just as bad as too large of a wick. No real answer, soot is incomplete combustion of fuel which will happen with any wax under certain conditions.

I explain it to my customers like my dad did, he would always say if a car had black smoke from the exhaust that told you it was running too rich, not enough air ie: incomplete combustion. You can tune it up but you will always have some fuel that will not get burned even if you cant see it ... soot.

Bruce

thanks Bruce. I had no clue that triple scenting my candles could be causing this problem (along with other things that need to be checked). The reason why I blend my wax is because using just 6006 has very little throw with many scents. By blending it with parrafin 50/50 the scent is strong. I also add 1.5 oz of FO per pound of wax. Is there a place that sells FOs made for 6006? That would solve a lot of my problem....

Thanks so much for your help on this.

Alyce:grin2:

Alyce you are assuming now the FO is your problem but it may not be your problem.

Here is an example I have this hex jar well in straight soy I can use the cotton wicks and no sooting but when I add a little paraffin I start to get soot so I change to a HTP wick and the soot is reduced but that is not the way it works in a differant jar.

Some times I can reduce the FO load and rid myself of the soot other times I have to change the kind of wick I am using.

It all about testing to see what is going to work best in that wick, wax, jar, FO combo.

Thanks Vicky, I guess what I first need to do is decide on the jar I want to use and stick with that one jar. I use all different size jars and thats probably where my problem begins. If I stick to one or possibly 2 jars then work on my wax problem next then my wicks. Test, test test. I probably need to stop triple scenting my wax, and test some more.

thanks so much for your help

Alyce:grin2:

There is no such thing are triple scented its made up to make people think their candles are stronger/ better when in fact many waxes will not hold that much scent and become dangerous to burn.... or smoke.

There are only a very few oils that I use that need that much scent, most average 1 ounce per pound... that's WIEGHT on a scale not liquid ounce from a measuring cup/spoon.

Check this out about triple scent

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8333&highlight=triple+scented

Bruce

I really appreciate all your help and will NEVER offer triple scented candles again unless I have 3 layers.

I know that I couldn't triple scent my mottling wax at all. I could barely put .5 oz per pound or I was wringing my votives out.

Is there a specific place where I can order FOs that work well in 6006 or do I need EOs for that wax???

I have so much to learn. :cry2: but I refuse to give up. I love making candles too much to do that.

Thanks again:D

Alyce

I just read the archives on the "triple scenting" issue. I use this term and I mean it. It is not for some marketing gimic. In fact, I'm kinda offended by the idea that everyone uses this as a gimic. I use 1.5 oz. per lb of my wax blend. I tested for a long time. I sell the ones that I feel work well. My customers love them. I do not have a soot problem, nor do I feel my candles pose any other hazard than ususal. I have burned candles that do not use much fragrance oil and they hardly fragrance their immediate area. I have based my business on very fragrant candles, and my claim is true.

Just venting after reading those posts. Thanks for listening, amanda

There is no such thing are triple scented its made up to make people think their candles are stronger/ better when in fact many waxes will not hold that much scent and become dangerous to burn.... or smoke.

There are only a very few oils that I use that need that much scent, most average 1 ounce per pound... that's WIEGHT on a scale not liquid ounce from a measuring cup/spoon.

Check this out about triple scent

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8333&highlight=triple+scented

Bruce

Thank you Thank you Thank you , Bruce:DWax is only going to hold a certain amount of fo, triple scent is just a marketing tool:)

To all those triple scented misinformed people out there read this!

OK OK OK you can buy your scent and use 1.5 ounce per pound .... I will just have the manufacture mix my scent stronger and USE LESS. My candles will smell like yours but not be watered down with fillers which could cause unwanted soot and a lower flash point for the finished product. You can pay $5.00 a pound for scent and you can pay 25.00+ a pound for scent. YOU can have them formulate your scent according to how much you want to pay and GET more for your money and use less. Cost you less in shipping also since you don't pay for them to ship fillers in your jug. Think of it like frozen orange juice and orange juice from concentrate. The candle supplier houses don't like to go over a certain price per pound so how the heck do you think they can price all of them at about the same price point.... they have them made that way with fillers ect to get that price point.

YOU can say yours is triple scented but what does it say??? Its just a general notion that the big boys in the past use .5 oz scent per pound of wax. NO ONE KNOWS THAT FOR A FACT TO BE TRUE! DO YOU? Did yankee let that out? Do you think they buy oils that they have to use at a high rate of 1.5 oz per pound? I dont think so, I bet the oils they have are super concentrated and if they used 1.5oz per pound the cold throw would gag you.

THERE IS NO GUIDE BOOK THAT TOLD ME TO USE .5 OZ PER POUND IN THE 70's WHEN I STARTED MAKING CANDLES, ITS A CROCK!

Bruce

I just read the archives on the "triple scenting" issue. I use this term and I mean it. It is not for some marketing gimic. In fact, I'm kinda offended by the idea that everyone uses this as a gimic. I use 1.5 oz. per lb of my wax blend. I tested for a long time. I sell the ones that I feel work well. My customers love them. I do not have a soot problem, nor do I feel my candles pose any other hazard than ususal. I have burned candles that do not use much fragrance oil and they hardly fragrance their immediate area. I have based my business on very fragrant candles, and my claim is true.

Just venting after reading those posts. Thanks for listening, amanda

Basically your using the Triple Scenting thing to as a marketing gimic to. Come on, anybody that says I triple scent my candles, wants the buyer to think I put more FO in my candles than others so mine are the best.

I have two scents that I use 1.5 oz of FO because they are weaker scents in my wax (soy). Should I advertise that those 2 scents are triple scented, just because I use that amount of FO. I don't think so.

Bruce your awesome

Mindy

Ok, lets say that we have two candle makers with the same fragrance oil, same price point, etc. One uses 1 oz and one uses 1.5 oz. The candle takes the 1.5 oz. Everything else being the same, wouldn't the one that uses 1.5 be stronger?

Also, I don't know where the .5 oz/lb came from either, but most people believe that to be true. Why?

Ok, lets say that we have two candle makers with the same fragrance oil, same price point, etc. One uses 1 oz and one uses 1.5 oz. The candle takes the 1.5 oz. Everything else being the same, wouldn't the one that uses 1.5 be stronger?

You can check with the owner of candle cocoon about this one, she has always produced high quality and higher priced oils and claims that after a certain amount of oil is put in the wax anything more you are just wasting your money. If you can fill a house at .5 oz per pound why use 1.5 I guess. She has also said that some of the notes get lost if you put too much oil in your candle. Its really beside the point since no one can prove all the manufactures used .5 oz per pound if they did its of a much stronger concentration and really why would all the manufactures leek that out.

Here's the real question then if I use .5 of a triple concentrated oil and someone else used 1.5 of the regular version of the oil... should they be able to claim theirs is triple scented and I cant? That's what were up against. Who's to say a candle isn't 4, 5, 6 times stronger. Only a few are bold enough to say 4X stronger... I have seen their web sites. I'm sure candles now days are much stronger then they were years ago, even today most people have never had a great candle so they cant compare our products to anything on the mass produced market but to set a number like 3x 4x to it is a real stretch for me.

Also, I don't know where the .5 oz/lb came from either, but most people believe that to be true. Why?

Might be the same reason that people say soy is better than paraffin, its about the money and making their product look better than the other. (but lets not start that again) :D I think in today's market we all have a starting point that we use to test with. Mine is one ounce per pound and then I adjust from there but I wouldn't call it today standard its just mine.

Good topic, i like to see both side of the topic and most chandlers that claim triple scented would steer clear of this post, thank you for your views.

Bruce

The answer is no. More is not always better. When you use too much FO, the candle can have a burnt smell to it, become too overpowering or not throw well at all or soot tremendously. Also, when you use too much, you can lose some of the notes in the fragrance. For instance, TCS Warm Orange Gingerbread - when I use more than 1 oz pp, it loses the orange notes completely and you can only smell a really heavy gingerbread. When I cut back to about 5-6% max, it becomes a more complex fragrance, where you can smell all the notes in the oil. So using less makes a better candle. More is not always better. That is a really simplistic way to view this craft and not the correct view either.

The answer is no. More is not always better. When you use too much FO, the candle can have a burnt smell to it, become too overpowering or not throw well at all or soot tremendously. Also, when you use too much, you can lose some of the notes in the fragrance. For instance, TCS Warm Orange Gingerbread - when I use more than 1 oz pp, it loses the orange notes completely and you can only smell a really heavy gingerbread. When I cut back to about 5-6% max, it becomes a more complex fragrance, where you can smell all the notes in the oil. So using less makes a better candle. More is not always better. That is a really simplistic way to view this craft and not the correct view either.

Ditto the above answer!

This makes a lot of sense and answers my question..