New to Soap making, question about lather

ebarnes

I usually add oils to my M&P, but then I also add a dash, about 1 TBSP pp, of Dr. Bronners liquid soap. My soaps have incredible creamy lather. Try it, it really works. Some also claim that adding sugar(somehow??) will help with lather. You need to use a good quality base to start with, some of the cheaper ones don't lather well.

i am not sure if these oils lather without being saponified. if you just add extra oil after the saponification porcess has already taken place (with M&P it has already taken place), then the oil will keep its original properties.

i only make CP so I am not really sure about MP :undecided

You might try some things that give a little bit of "friction" to the MP. Sugar maybe, or a bit of herbs or clays. There are some good threads around on additives to MP that might help.

And true, "lathering" oils are the properties of the saponified oils, not the oils on their own. Sodium cocoate lathers nicely, coconut oil doesn't.

I also add a little veggie oil based liquid soap sometimes & it does seem to help for those that like more lather. I prefer a more moisturizing bar, so in go the oils & a little bit of Palm Kernal Oil flakes to harden it.

I agree with tamtam about a good, quality base. Everybody has his/her fave, but I love SFIC & a few other natural bases, they lather just fine to me. I tried others with the SLS, no comparison, did nothing for the skin (so I was told) but did give lots of bubbles. Try a few different bases & play, you'll find one you're happy with!

Sharon

I like the idea of clay. Gonna have to play with that one. On the other hand if I also put in PKO for hardness will it kinda "counteract" it since I'll have less soap dissolving then? Oh goodness, is NOTHING simple?

:confused: huh?

And to answer your question, nope, nothing's simple, we'd get bored if it was

My first batch of MP was from Michaels.... and as expected, no lather. I kind of figured all MP was this was so when I read on here about oils and additives that help with lather I decided to try castor oil.

Now it really depends on what your opinion of 'good lather' is. It certainly doesn't bubble up and foam like bubble bath or anything but the castor oil really did make a difference in my second batch... and perhaps the better base I used that time as well. Castor oil is affordable and a good all around oil to have on hand. I've also added this along with Vit E oil and it still gives a nice light but decent creamy lather.