I can see...

SilverOrchid

MP is so much different than CP. While you can do lots with MP, swirling is a lot easier (sort of, just takes time to get a technique down, LOL) in CP. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. You can do a search for MP vs. CP and get an idea of what the differences are.

I did a few MP's before starting with CP. I love the feel of CP soap, there is nothing like it. It is addicting (and also frustrating).

Welcome to the new addiction!

Steph

"I can see..." Everytime I read that I start singing "... clearly now, the rain is gone...." Can't help myself. The people I work with are now convinced I'm a bit odd....

Anywho, this is how it goes. You see one type of soap on the forum, probably in the gallery, and think zowie I want that and I think I can do it! So you try and you get obsessed with whatever type that is. Then you start reading more and more and see another type of soap and think zowie I want that and I think I can do it... and so on and so on and so on. Doesn't matter where you start.

But I personally would start wtih the soap that is more likely to give you a benefit you want/need. I personally find that CP/HP are more skin caring (on MY skin, the ones I've tried - I'm sure there are exceptions) - so I started there!

I started off with mp soap. It's fun and quick. I love being able to use my soap as soon as it cools. My play area has more molds than I ever imagined when first starting off.

However, soon the pictures from the gallery tempted me to try cp soap. As long as you're careful and have everything out beforehand, CP's lots of fun too.

I have never done MP so I can't comment on it. In the beginning I did not even know about CP and I was all geared up to start melting and pouring my bank account away. Then I started reading about CP,HP, and the idea of MP bit the dust. I have been doing CP and HP ever since. And the lye did not scare me, I was a bio/chem major in college, played with a lot of hazardous chemicals there so lye was like icing on the cake.

Try MP first, I know lots of people love it, and do it because they have that fear of "the lye" but a lot of people who have done MP, then did their first successful CP batch never looked back.

I do MP but for different reasons.

One is 5 the other is 7.

And the are never gone long enough! :D I just can't risk trying CP yet, until the little one is in full day school, right now I only have a 4 hour window of alone time and I dont want to rush. 1st grade starts in july though so I'm counting the days. But until then they like to help mommy make soap, picking out colors and fo's to use.

Sami

I use the SFIC bases. I ran a co-op not long ago and still have some left. The minimums to buy direct are 250lbs. I think Lone Star Candle Supply carries them and Cierra not sure about who else. The only other base I tried was from Michaels and I could literally see the difference. I've heard good things about Stephensons but haven't needed to try them yet.

Sami

Thanks for all the input guys :) I have C&S 5 minutes from my house but Im not sure how good their M&P bases are, they have a goats milk Id like to try.. and Bramble Berry carries stephenson so I guess I will go with either of them and see how I do. Not going to start until after the holidays though too much going on with candles and christmas etc..