Hempseed OIL vs. BUTTER

Noahsmom

In "Kimberly's Whipped Shea Recipe", it calls for Hempseed Butter. I noticed one person stated you could substitue hempseed Oil, but since it is a liquid, would you subtract it from the other liquid oils and add to solids or????? How does this change the consistency of the finished product? Also, is the smell hard to mask or does it interfere with FO's? I notice you can choose refined or unrefined -- preferences? I like the description of the properties of hempseed for the skin but I'm not sure about all of these things....

Where is the best place (least expensive, good quality) to purchase hempseed BUTTER? It is not available at the places I usually purchase from - Wholesale Supplies.com, Brambleberry, etc.

Thanks for your help!

The oil derived from Hemp seed (Cannabis Sativa)

is utilized primarily in cosmetic applications.

Hemp seed oil has a very interesting fatty acid

profile containing significant amounts of a-linolenic

and ?-linolenic acid.

Hempseed Oil has excellent healing and moisturizing properties.

It helps aid skin ailments such as eczema, psoriasis and minor burns.

This oil can be found in soaps, lotions, lip balms, facial creams,

shampoos, conditioners, massage oil blends, and body scrubs.

Hempseed Oil creates a conditioning bar with

a stable lather When used in soap making. SAP:135 (NaOH)

This natural oil is expeller pressed for excellent retention of its

beneficial properties.

~Sold by weight~.

Hemp Seed Oil

General Specifications:

Acid Value (mg KOH/g):Max: 5.0

Peroxide Value (mEq/Kg):Max: 5.0

Fatty Acid Composition: Area %

C 16:0Palmitic Acid:Max: 10

C 18:0Stearic:Max: 5

C 18:1Oleic:Min: 10

C 18:2Linoleic:Min:55

C 18:3Linolenic:Min:18

This is a natural product. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct light.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if it would work here but if it ends up that you can go with the hemp seed oil but are worried about color and scent, poppy seed oil can be used to replace the hemp oil.

It is clear and doesn't smell. I use it in soaping recipes that call for hemp seed oil and works fine for that.

HTH

Here is what I do: Hempseed butter is just too expensive so I use the oil instead.

56.25% unrefined shea butter

9% mango butter

9% hempseed oil

13% shea oil

1.5% IPM

.75% Cyclomethicone

1.5% fo/eo

You can delete the IPM and Cyclo if you want and just up the shea. This comes out light and fluffy. I do not melt my butters. I just place them in my kitchen aid and let them whip away and then slowly drizzle in my oils. Once to my liking I add the IPM, cyclo and fragrace. I prefer using only unrefined shea because of the healing properties. You can play around with fragrances and find that certain ones definitely cover up the shea scent. Yet, I don't mind the scent of the unrefined.

I also get all of my oils from www.oilsbynature. Great prices and very fast shipping.

Ann

Here is what I do: Hempseed butter is just too expensive so I use the oil instead.

9% mango butter

9% hempseed oil

13% shea oil

1.5% IPM

.75% Cyclomethicone

1.5% fo/eo

You can delete the IPM and Cyclo if you want and just up the shea. This comes out light and fluffy. I do not melt my butters. I just place them in my kitchen aid and let them whip away and then slowly drizzle in my oils. Once to my liking I add the IPM, cyclo and fragrace. I prefer using only unrefined shea because of the healing properties. You can play around with fragrances and find that certain ones definitely cover up the shea scent. Yet, I don't mind the scent of the unrefined.

I also get all of my oils from www.oilsbynature. Great prices and very fast shipping.

Ann

does it stiffen or stay soft?

I usually whip it anywhere from 30-60 minutes and it stays soft and fluffy forever. It never stiffens. I like the addition of the IPM as it helps cut the greasies and the cyclo gives it a nice slip and silky feel. I do make it without both of these for a few customers that only want all natural and it is still an awesome recipe.

Ann

I usually whip it anywhere from 30-60 minutes and it stays soft and fluffy forever. It never stiffens. I like the addition of the IPM as it helps cut the greasies and the cyclo gives it a nice slip and silky feel. I do make it without both of these for a few customers that only want all natural and it is still an awesome recipe.

Ann

Now I know what I'll be working on over Christmas! I have next week off from work...

9% mango butter

9% hempseed oil

13% shea oil

1.5% IPM

.75% Cyclomethicone

1.5% fo/eo

Ann

This recipe sounds awesome. I don't have shea oil, but have all the other ingredients. What oil could I sub for shea oil?

Mary

You could try upping the macadamia nut oil or using Apricot Kernel or Sweet Almond oil in place of the shea oil. I really like shea oil especially for the whipped sheas. It is so very nice.

I don't use a preservative since there is no water involved. I don't make or use this recipe in the summer. I make it Oct-April. It will melt during the summer if left in a hot place.

Hempseed will go rancid faster than some other oils and I keep mine in the fridge to prolong shelf life.

Ann

Both are fragile & spoil easily so keep refrigerated until ready for use. I always use a preservative because either will spoil in hot weather. I always warm it in hot water NEVER in a micro & add as the last item to any recipe.

Christine, do you mean that you use an antioxidant to help stave off rancidity? Or a regular preservative?