Gel ?

Lisa

They are a combination of gel and embed wax. You can buy kits or molds to make your own. They aren't difficult but you do have to be careful about your pouring temps. We always called them candle pies :)

I use 3 small gel zinc wicks, hot glue them to the pie tin. Add a small amount of the gel, roll it around the tin to coat sides, then add the crust (the gel helps the crust to stick to the tin) then I add more gel almost to the top, then add the embeds, then top with a bit more gel. It depends on the look you want. HTH

I do them a bit differant I add gel about a 1/3 full add some embeds them add some more gel and then embeds agian till full. i think doing this way gives the candles more depth by hey I just may like to do thing the hard way.

I do mine the same way. I like the realistic look when you're burning it and you can still see the "fruit" all throughout. Then again ..... I like doing things the hard way too! :tongue2:

I do mine the same way too, guess great minds work alike!!

They are very realistic looking, however you have to be very careful with you temp on the gel or you get a melted mess!!

I do have tons of 5" pie crust molds/tins/clamshells if you are interested in trying them, i could sell you some crusts already made up..

HTH

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

I do my pies the same, but really have not made them too much lately as the cost of the embeds was getting prohibitive. Where do you all get your embeds or do you all make them? I was planning on making my own molds, but like everything else, no time...lol.... I use the 5in pie tins... found a HUGE batch at BigLots..... I think I bought about 100...lol... anyway... any suggestions?:cheesy2:

and I have to say that Jazzbo makes the BEST embeds ever...I buy my cherries from her when she will sell them to me :) :)

I make everything else myself, that's why I don't put any in the middle of the pie...and once someone lights it it all globs together anyway, so why waste the embeds? but then I also color my gel very dark too....just a matter of personal taste and how much time you want to spend and how much profit you want to make :) of course, now that gel has gone up and shipping too I might reconsider :cheesy2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...