Cbl 129

I have some cbl 129 and want to give it a try but it came with no instructions so does anyone know what degrees to melt this wax to? also a pouring temp? I looked on the site which it came from but there is nothing there to help me out so now i'm asking on here please help ...:embarasse

• 1 month later...

I have been testing this wax now for 3 weeks and I'm in LOVE! I mainly make tarts and this wax kicks butt! The cold and hot throw are amazing. Only downfall was the "brains". Heat gun takes care of it, but after it's melted in the tartburner and hardened, the brains come back. So I have a ton of votive/pillar wax, I mixed 1 oz. of it into the CBL129 and it completely solved the "brain" problem. The only other problem I ran into was I decided to try the XL12 wicks for the votive portion with just the straight 129 and then with the 1 oz of vot. wax mixed in. The burn was OK, not that impressed and there was NO scent throw at all. So I switched back to my old wicks and all better! I'm so sorry I didn't test this wax soooo much sooner!!

What wicks are you using for this wax? I have been testing this wax for more than 2 weeks. I'm testing the 2,8, and 12 oz metro jar. I've tried LX, RRD, CD, and Zinc. I had a fantastic scent throw in the 8oz metro with a 44-24-18z but the mushroon was so big the flame looked like a total eclipse lol. I went up to a 44-32 and down to a 44-20z and lost the fantastic scent throw. Thinking I was using too much scent for these wicks (1.5 oz pp) I dropped it to 1 oz. Now I have a nice flame with a bearable mushroom but lost the great scent throw with the 44-24z.

Other additives are 3 drops of Candlewic's evo dye and 1/4 tsp of UV pp. FO from The Candlemakers Store.

After the LX12 I switched to a 44-24-18 and thats what worked, there was mushrooming, but not too terrible, scent throw was great. I also used one of these in a 4 oz. mason jar I poured with the cbl129 and it was AWESOME! Melt pool great, great size flame, great throw. Let me know which wick you end up with, I'm sure there is something better! LOL!:grin2:

Here is a link that you might find useful http://www.candlewic.com/chandler/containers.asp. Scroll down for wick suggestions. I was testing other wicks and not getting good results until I found this page.

I think I found what my problem is with scent throw. I had my friend over yesterday while I was testing the 8oz metro with the 44-24-18z. There was a hint of a throw but nothing like I had several days ago. When she left the house felt chilled. The temp was 68*. I have my house usually between 70-73* but we had a cold front with winds for the last few days. We burn a woodstove and it's been struggling to keep the upstairs (our living area) warm. At least warm for me lol. The glass is cold and I think the wick is fighting against that to create the meltpool enough to throw the scent. I still think the 44-42-18z is the wick for this jar. Saturday the temps are suppose to go into the 30's instead of 15 like it is now.

It is a struggle with the woodstove, I have the same problem, it's -7 right now with the wind chill. I have an office and candle making room in my basement, takes forever and costly to heat the room. The only problem I run into is that candles can dry too quickly. I use the heat gun to warm up my molds and it's not really an issue with the tarts. But since it's so cold in NY and drafty any votives or pillars I pour upstairs in the kitchen to make my life a lot easier! I'm going to stick with the 44-24-18's myself, I'm going to use them in my 4oz jars too, the preformance was GREAT!! Stay warm!

I have been testing this wax now for 3 weeks and I'm in LOVE! I mainly make tarts and this wax kicks butt! The cold and hot throw are amazing. Only downfall was the "brains". Heat gun takes care of it, but after it's melted in the tartburner and hardened, the brains come back. So I have a ton of votive/pillar wax, I mixed 1 oz. of it into the CBL129 and it completely solved the "brain" problem. The only other problem I ran into was I decided to try the XL12 wicks for the votive portion with just the straight 129 and then with the 1 oz of vot. wax mixed in. The burn was OK, not that impressed and there was NO scent throw at all. So I switched back to my old wicks and all better! I'm so sorry I didn't test this wax soooo much sooner!!

Sometimes the wax has brains and other times, it doesn't. According to Candlewic, the brains stem from too much vybar being added to the wax.

But, it doesn't affect the scent throw, from my experience.

I use strictly zinc wicks and have been using this wax for a very long time with great success!

That's the main reason I am in the process of testing a new wax. Used the 129 for about 4 years, got tired of the inconsistencies. Vybar is something that they add, they can eliminate putting "to much" in, I mean, don't they go by a formula??!!:rolleyes2

You're lucky they told you it was the vybar, when it first happened to me they kept telling me it was something I had changed in my formula....not true. When they finally admitted that they had added to much vybar I had already started the process of adding other waxes to it so it would make a decent looking candle. He told me all I had to do was add mineral oil to compensate for the excess vybar, it was in the middle of the holiday season and I didn't have time to mess around with it, so I wasn't very happy. I can't believe they still are putting "to much" vybar in it :confused:

The price of the wax went up, and the shipping too, so it was a good time to make the switch. Glad you enjoy the wax, I did too. I used LX wicks with the 129.

Malanute- you have the same setup like me. I live in NJ and this cold front that came in is really playing havoc right now with the temp in my house. This weekend it's suppose to warm up some and I'll try the 44-24z again. This wick gave me the best result so far.

waxwench and gerrie - I've heard about the vybar incident awhile back and it does concern me. My supplier who lived 20 minutes away from me sold her business :cry2: and gave me a case of the 129 to play with. I'm lovin' this wax but still undecided on adding it to my line because of it's prior history.