Container Candles - Is this right????

Hi Everyone, Been a while since I posted. Been reading the posts though, LOL! I made a couple of 32 oz mason jar container candles last week. Tried some new 50/50 soy and paraffin samples from Just Scents. The candles poured wonderfully, I was quite impressed with the results. I waited 4 days (impatient) to try my burn test. I double wicked the candles with exlarge 6" zinc wicks. Burned the first one last night. The scent throw was perfect, you could smell it throughout the whole house, YEAH! Now my question. It took about an hour to get a complete melting pool across the top of the candle. I'm assuming that is right. I only burned the candle for 3 hours and by that time, you could see the melting pool was about 1 inche deep. Is that right? I lit it again tonight, and after 3 hours the melting pool was about 1 1/2" deep. That seems to be way to much, but then I've never paid attention to the melting pools with store bought candles. Is it because I didn't wait long enough for the candle to cure and maybe the wax is still soft? Or is that about right? I haven't tried the second candle yet, figured I'd give it a few more days to cure. Any thoughts?

Connie

Well the rule of thumb on melt pools is you should have a 1" deep pool in "x" hours. "X" is equal to the diameter of the jar in inches. SO if your container is 3" in diameter, then 3 hours for a complete melt pool.

To me I think the melt pool is purely preference. I think if you are getting a full melt pool in 1 -11/2 hours fine. Just make sure it is does not keep growing deeper. How hot is the jar after 3-4 hours? If it is too hot you may want to wick down. If it is not too hot, and you like the scent throw, go for it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't 50/50 from JS the same as C&S's 1275?? I know that JS sells the same wax as C&S and they get it from the same manufacturer but I am not sure what JS calls theirs.

Anyway if it is the same.....there has been a lot of controversery about this wax and the problems surrounding it. Check out some other threads on it if you are having burning issues with it.

I use the 50\50 from C&S and so far havent had a problem, maybe it was just a couple of batches? Shipping from anywhere else is alot and C&S is 5 minutes away from me, so looks like I'll be staying there unless something major happens with the wax. FO's are a different story, those Im buying elsewhere:cool2:

Hi, Me again! Thanks for the advice. All these different waxes, wick #'s, different companies, my gosh its mind boggling. I've been researching everywhere including many of the posts here for the past couple of days now. I stepped back, took a long look at it all and decided to just go for it!

I've been doing my testing completely wrong. Pouring my container candles with the wicks. No way to pull them out. So, I ordered samples of wicks from a couple different suppliers. Strange how one company will tell you to use one large wick and another will tell you to double wick the candle, GEEZ! Guess its going to be a long process getting it all correct. But, I still do like the 50/50 for JS. Going to pour and try more testers with what I already have and different wicks and maybe, just maybe it'll work this time. Burned my candle again today and had a 2" melt pool in about 90 minutes, so that was definitely burning to hot.

Anyway, I looked but couldn't find anything on the controversary on the 50/50 container wax from JS and C&S. Can anyone point me in that direction. I would love to read what they are saying about it. I don't want to order more of it if there is a potential problem.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help and advice.

Connie

Well the rule of thumb on melt pools is you should have a 1" deep pool in "x" hours. "X" is equal to the diameter of the jar in inches. SO if your container is 3" in diameter, then 3 hours for a complete melt pool.

I think Tess was meaning to say 1 inch diameter of melt pool for every hour of burn... not 1 inch depth.

I think your melt pool is too deep way too deep. Really 1.5 inch deep is a HUGE amout of liquid wax for a 3 hour burn.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I agree! So, you're saying that the melt pool should only be about 3" wide across the top of the candle in a 3 hours time period? Gosh, I achieved that in about 30 minutes. I knew it wasn't right when I seen it had gotten so deep. According to Natures Gardens wick tips, the size jar I used called for two large zinc wicks. So, that is definitely wrong. Could be the wax I used to.

Thanks for clearing that up though. I definitely need to wick down!

Connie

Cut and paste from NG site about wicks:

Quote"Extra Large zinc Core (62-52-18z)- great for candles with a diameter of 3 inches to 4 inches."

Doesnt say anything about using 2 of them and the other chart on there doesnt list your jar... the apoth jars are not even close to what you have.

Bruce

Bruce ~ I based my info on having a 32 ounce wide mouth jar with the 28 Apothecary jar they listed. Do you have a different view from what they listed as far as using 1 or 2 wicks? I am going to take your advice and try one wick next time. I know they're a candle supply company, but people like yourself that make them all the time, I feel more comfortable with trying your way, if that makes sence, LOL! I think Deborah Ward who wrote the manuel has probably only used NG's waxes and this is what she found to be the best within NG. She has a wealth of info there, but, I'm not using their wax, not yet anyway!

Copy and pasted from NG ~ This is in their Candle Manuel written by Deborah Ward.

Wick Size & Number Candle Container Size wick # 28 oz. apothecary jar 6" 44-28-18Z 2 16 oz. apothecary jar 5" 51-32-18Z 2 10 oz. Clear apothecary 2 1/2' 44-28-18Z 2 10 oz. Frosted apothecary 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 2 5 oz. apothecary 5" 51-32-18Z 1 Flowerpot 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 1 1.5 oz. Hexagon 1 3/4" 44-20-18Z 1 4 oz. Hexagon 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 1 9 oz. Hexagon 6" 44-28-18Z 1 4 oz. Swivel Jar 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 1 Country Jar (4 oz.) 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 1 8 oz. Cylinder 6" 44-28-18Z 1 Votives (15 hour) 2 1/2" 44-28-18Z 1

East Coastie here and I gotta hit the hay. I'll check back in the morning though. Thank you so very, very much for all your time and help. I really do appreciate at!!!

Connie

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't 50/50 from JS the same as C&S's 1275?? I know that JS sells the same wax as C&S and they get it from the same manufacturer but I am not sure what JS calls theirs.

Anyway if it is the same.....there has been a lot of controversery about this wax and the problems surrounding it. Check out some other threads on it if you are having burning issues with it.

I don't think the problem with the 1275 wax is similar to this, you couldn't get a full melt pool after 8 hours (it was too hard). And who gets what wax from what supplier is unknown to me, but since C&S is not really a factor here, I will not jump on that soap box. LOL!

Sorry, that didn't turn out right.

Wick Size & Number of wicks

Candle Container Size wick #

28 oz. apothecary jar 6" 44-28-18Z 2

16 oz. apothecary jar 5" 51-32-18Z 2

10 oz. Clear apothecary 2 1/2' 44-28-18Z 2

Ok a couple of things.

In your first post you didnt mention that is was a "wide" mouth 32 ounce jar so I was thinking it was the smaller neck. So the mouth is about 3.25 inches wide?

If you use the above info you cut and pasted here you would have used 2 44Z wicks but you said you used 2 extra large wicks which on their site are 61Z wicks which would be way way too much wick for that jar no matter what wax you had in it.

Bruce

Oh Good Grief Bruce ~ I read that manuel over and over again. Where the heck I came up with the large 6" wick, is beyond me now. I even wrote it down several times. Well that is why you are the expert and I am the beginner, LOL! I can't believe I did that, no wonder the wax was melting so much. I "Promise" to pay more attention to the details in the future and where my glasses. What kind of candle would even use a large 6' wick, I suppose pillars. Haven't gotten that far yet. Thank you again for finding all my candle and (reading) faults, I seem to have a lot of them, LOL! Going to try this again with the correct wicks and see what happens.

Connie