Ready to give up...

latch

I am so discouraged, i just love making candles but it seems i never make a profit, its just supplies, supplies, supplies. I started it because i love it but we have 7 children and i also wanted something for extra income. I am ready to give it all up. I can keep it for my hobby but as far as money, NOT. any encourging words would be appreciated before i throw in the towel...

tia

I feel your discouragement :) But that's kinda what happens in a business, when you start out, almost all profits have to go right back in to R&D and supplies, to allow you to grow..

Sometimes you just have to hang in there and be patient. Took me 3 years before I made more than I spent :)

I started selling as a way to support my candlemaking hobby. Yes, I was still losing money, but not as much as not selling at all. That is a small consolation in itself. You should promote your candles every chance you get. Say it casually if you don't want to sound pushy, but mention that you sell homemade candles every chance you get. Make sure that every friend, relative and coworker (your spouse's coworkers too) knows that you make and sell candles. Talk about your candlemaking hobby and how much you love it. Carry along business cards, brochures and small samples everywhere you go. You never know what giving out a small free sample will lead to. I gave a 2 oz. bottle of lotion to a friend, and she let all her coworkers try it. That one little sample generated over $200 in sales on my website - and many of those people plan to put in Christmas orders too. I gave a business card to my hairdresser, my insurance agent, and my mom hands them out to practically everyone she meets. Give your candles as gifts every time you have to give a gift. It's not annoying - people will love to get your candles. Your candles are a homemade, personal and useful gift. I gave small candle baskets to my bank and insurance agent last Christmas. Sometimes this leads nowhere, but if it generates at least one sale - that is one more person who can tell others about my candles. Don't worry, it will start to snowball, and pretty soon you will have lots of candle orders. Believe in your product and let others know how much you love making it. It's hard in the beginning, but you will get past the part where it seems like all you do is spend money on supplies. In the meantime be stingy with your money. Don't buy anything unless you can totally justify a need for it. Yes, it's fun to test out new products and fragrances, and think of new directions to expand, but for now focus on a few products that sell the best. If someone asks you to get a new fragrance, tell them that you will keep the idea in mind, but that you just can't afford to expand right now. That might even prompt them to buy a candle from you:-) If it helps to know you aren't alone - well you aren't. I've been selling candles for a year and a half now and I'm still not making a profit - but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.:yay:

Don't give up,

Margie

You mean we are supposed to make money at this? No I am kidding.

It took me a long time before I even could sell anything. I know that sometimes you feel down in the dumps but it will turn around. You just have to get out there and pound the pavement. When I started I started with two scents and worked my way from there. I don't have a huge amount of scents but I got into other things to help offset the cost of everything. It just takes time...

Good luck!!

Mmmm with Robin on this one. You can probably save a little by not making and carrying everything you want to make, but in the end, it takes cash to get going and making the expenses for product. It's not a get rich quick hobby or business, but you'll make more of your expenses back if you get yourself more exposure. It's why we're loaded up with 16 shows during the late summer, fall and winter season with a potential to add one or two more. Right now we have oh 11 of those shows left lol.

We'd save a lot more if we weren't constantly repackaging, but we're learning how to work around the weather variables. So far we've managed to pull in 3x or more the amount of our booth fee at every show and that helps get some $ back into accts. However, we've also had to invest in another tent and we're working out how to cut back the waste on labels (those that get damaged by the elements.)

You gotta just hang in there longer and fight off the discouragement. If you don't have the heart to be doing this though, then you need to be realistic and weigh your options out and be honest about pegging your pluses and minuses.

Don't get too discouraged. This is my 2nd year making candles and I am still not making a profit- it all goes back into candles and supplies for new products. I know my first year- almost everything I made went right back into supplies-but on the up side- when tax time came around I didn't have to owe the IRS anything:yay: . My tax preparer is a family friend and she told my not to worry and that it could take 3+ years before my business takes off the way I would like it too. So, until then, we will continue to pinch pennies and to be extremely frugal to make sure our kids are taken care of. Plus I am able to stay at home with my kids, so I don't have to pay the high daycare rates. So, don't get too discouraged- everything ends up working itself out eventually- just give it time.

Every month when I add up all the money I spent and then look at the tiny amount I made I always say I need to get out of this business. But the next morning I am always right back into my candle room making more candles!

Hang in there! I'm sure it will get better. :)

I go through spells like this often. Just hang in there. I have been selling for just over a year now, and still no profit. I do have my first craft fair next weekend, so I am hoping that goes well and gets me a little closer to breaking even! My only regret about getting into this beyond a hobby is that I think I should have waited. Seriously. Should have waited until I had all the children I wanted and they were old enough to not need me to do stuff with them every waking moment. I have a three year old, and we are going to try to have another soon. I know that with one child and working full time it is very difficult to find the time necessary to make all the candles I need to make and to experiment. So if I have another, I am certain things will have to go on the backburner for some time. I absolutely LOVE making candles, but there is no way I could quit my job now and do this full time. So, until I have to stop for awhile, I will keep plugging ahead and telling myself that it is worth it!

Funny you should write about this because I have been feeling the same way. I started doing this because I was tired of spending money on candles that burned like you know what. I know from previous experience, it takes money to make money. Plus, I have been a little lax on getting out there and trying to push them on different places. So right now I am planning on having my own candle party. Probably in October. I truly believe that if you have an exceptional product and believe in the product and get out and pound the pavement it will lead to sales. Getting out and pounding the pavement is easier for me though as I have no small children anymore (my baby turns 21 a week from tomorrow) in the house. It is definately alot of work and expense, but I tell myself if I don't make them I'll have to go back to Wal-mart's crummy candles, and I won't have easy access to gifts. so hang in there, and know that you are not the only one in this boat.