Ever wonder?!?!

amachs03

Do you ever wonder how dollar stores sell 8 oz candles for a dollar? I mean I know they dont have hardly any fo, but I mean even if I get truckloads my jars plus shipping are almost that price! But the thing that gets me...is you know the dollar store is making money off of the candle too...I dont know, im just blabbing.......HOW?????

I had that thought! I also wonder how some can sell candles so cheaply on EBay, soy and paraffin (sp?). Of course, I'm not to where I can buy in bulk yet, that would probably make a difference, but I don't think I could ever sell a good jar size candle for a buck.

Stephanie

Dollar stores operate by purchasing huge lots of liquidated merchandise from mainstream retailers that are either going out of business, or closing out an overbuy. They literally are picking up product for a dime on the dollar.

That, my dears, is how they do it (and still stay in business). :)

I get what you are saying...however, I went to a dollar store and saw a sign that says "if you need a bigger quantity that is on our shelves we can get more whenever you want all we need is the product code"......Things have to sell out sometime...so what do they do then????

I get what you are saying...however, I went to a dollar store and saw a sign that says "if you need a bigger quantity that is on our shelves we can get more whenever you want all we need is the product code"......Things have to sell out sometime...so what do they do then????

Not everything is available in larger quantities, and it's only available until their supply runs out. That said, because most of the Dollar stores are chains, they have the ability to pull merchandise from other stores in the chain, if the request for additional product is large enough.

Their signage is simply an advertising opportunity to drive their sales. :)

oh man i wish i would have saved that site i ran a cross a site that distributes in wholesale to dollar stores.. actually as far as i could tell anyone can order from them but its dollar store stuff and i mean everything from stationary, jars, food, and cleaning products. and the stuff was DIRT CHEAP.. its insane

It is true that the Dollar Store uses some liquidated and closeout merchandise, but most of their products come from a supplier called Greenbrier International or something similar. That company either manufactures or purchases overseas everything from toys, to glassware, to candles and metal holders. Probably most of the products come from overseas and things like that, where they buy boatloads of stuff, lol...not just truck loads. If you look on international trading sites, merchandise is sold in metric tons, which is much different than how we do things. In addition, they usually have their wares picked up at california or New York harbors and trucked in to the various stores. This HUGE quantity selling is for wholesalers and retail stores that have chains. The discounts would far outweigh buying something in an American market/online store, where no matter what wholesaler you buy from, it is usually still a middle man.

At our dollar store here most items are made in China and besides buying by the container load I'm sure they get a good deal through the exchange rate. Whatever it is you're buying, their quality is not too good though, I've had things break down on the first usage. Their 8 oz jar candles aren't even filled fully, they're only slightly more than half full. I doubt they would burn very good, even if you don't care about the lack of scent.

I don't understand the ebay thing, either! I saw on there the other day, someone sold 12- 16oz soy candles for $12.. How could you make any money off of that? I can't even make a 16oz candle for a dollar..lol.. I surely wouldn't sell one for a dollar on there! I can't figure out why they would want to sell their candles so cheap..

I'm not really worried about the Dollar Store cause I know most of their candles are horrible quality. What I get twisted about is going into Target and looking at some pretty sweet candles that seem to have geat quality and burn quite nicely and they sell the 16oz for less the $10.00 :shocked2:

The candles at the dollar store are very cheap made with a poor grade of wax and never have any scent. The only candles that I have ever purchased actually that I liked were from BBW. And that was about 6 years ago, ever since then I just make them myself.

There are people out there who will pay for a well made item, and that is what keeps people like us in business. Ever wonder how Bond No 9 can get $85 for a 7 oz votive? Because they can. You have to market your product to make the people buying believe that it is worth your price.

When I see items like that on Ebay for so cheap, I bypass them. I see people selling soap on there too for $1 or less, handmade cold processed soap in many different fragrances. Or soap logs for $7.99, whereas mine ar priced at around $50+. My fragrance oil alone costs more than $1 an oz, so I have no idea how they are making money.

I don't know if those are 16oz but I was there today and saw some really nice 16oz and they were all under $10 and had a great look and awesome smell it was kinda disturbing...lol I couldn't find the ones I saw today on their web site but even so those in the pictures are really nice looking but I don't know there exact weight.

No no no...Im not worried about people buying dollar store candles....the other post was right, they are great for power outages! The thing that was confusing was how they could sell it so cheap. I know our products we sell on here are a total different ballgame:highfive: