Problems with hot throw Ezsoy

Using a tried and true strong FO for soy, BCN, Spiced Cranberry. Tried 1 oz per lb, 1.25 oz per lb, plan to try 1.5 next. I am not having any problems with wicking or melt pool. Just no hot throw even after 3 weeks of curing. Using CD 12 or 14 in 8 oz jjs. Cold throw on 1 oz very weak, cold throw on 1.25 good. How do people only use 1 oz per lb FO with Ezsoy and get strong scent? I am adding FO at 170 to 180. Also use just under 1/2 oz beeswax pellets per lb of Ezsoy. What can be the problem here? I know its not the FO, great throw in paraffin.

Using a tried and true strong FO for soy, BCN, Spiced Cranberry. Tried 1 oz per lb, 1.25 oz per lb, plan to try 1.5 next. I am not having any problems with wicking or melt pool. Just no hot throw even after 3 weeks of curing. Using CD 12 or 14 in 8 oz jjs. Cold throw on 1 oz very weak, cold throw on 1.25 good. How do people only use 1 oz per lb FO with Ezsoy and get strong scent? I am adding FO at 170 to 180. Also use just under 1/2 oz beeswax pellets per lb of Ezsoy. What can be the problem here? I know its not the FO, great throw in paraffin.

Hi Mary,

That particular fragrance oil may not be the best one for the wax you are using. What will throw well in one wax may not in another. I use Calsoy CB-3, and I found that Alabaster's Cranberry Spice throws stronger than BCN's (even though I have some great oils from BCN). They smell almost identical but Alabasters won for hot throw in my wax. I get a great throw. Although, this does not mean for sure that Alabaster's will throw great in the EZ Soy. But, since I got a stronger throw, you may too. :) I use 9% though. You may have to up the amount of the Cranberry Spice oil to get that great throw. Have you been getting a great throw with other oils? Hang in there and just remember you will go through a lot of duds to find the awesome throwers! But, I know it can be disapointing when something you like does not throw well. It happens to me too. Give Alabaster's Cranberry Spice a try if you can. HTH ~Holly

How long do you cure and what size wicks, also what jars do you use? I called Tech Support at BCN. She could not figure out what problem was. I also tried BCN Autumn Spice and no throw either. I know its not candle nose. Other people can't smell it either. Tech support suggested a larger jar then 8 oz. to get a wider melt pool. I only want to make 8 oz and only have wicks for that. The only thing I might do differently is that I cap my candles within an hour or so after making them. Tech support said that wouldn't matter. I am stumped. Could it be bad wax? It looked fine.

I can't imagine not being able to smell this scent...its a strong one, even in ezsoy..I use this and have never had a problem with it! Do you have some kind of air exchanger in your house exchanging the air out all the time, umm, do you have a very drafty house, and the scent is leaving the building? (lol) Do you have really high ceilings? IDK! I would give one to a friend/family member to burn at their house and see what they say..alot of times we don't want to believe it but it ends up just being our noses!:cheesy2:

Have you tested it in a small room such as a bathroom to see if you can get any hot throw in a smaller area? I don't put lids on until the next day though but I don't think that's the problem. Maybe you just a got a dud FO?

I personally do not like the EZ Sy wax but it might be the FO. We manufacture our own FOs. I had a customer say once that they had problems with one of our strongest FOs. I didn't understand how this could be until I did some checking into the batch it came from. I found the problem and sent her out a free replacement because it was out fault. So maybe the batch your FO came from was bad somehow. Just a thought...HTH:highfive:

How long do you cure and what size wicks, also what jars do you use? I called Tech Support at BCN. She could not figure out what problem was. I also tried BCN Autumn Spice and no throw either. I know its not candle nose. Other people can't smell it either. Tech support suggested a larger jar then 8 oz. to get a wider melt pool. I only want to make 8 oz and only have wicks for that. The only thing I might do differently is that I cap my candles within an hour or so after making them. Tech support said that wouldn't matter. I am stumped. Could it be bad wax? It looked fine.

Maybe the others here that get a good throw are using larger jars with two wicks. I have always felt that double wicking gives a better throw than single wicking. I use apothecaries and double wick. I will still say though that I did not get that great of a throw (not bad) with BCN's CS. Are you getting a good throw with some other fragrances? I have also run into times where some rave about a scent and then I try it and it does not give me a good throw. Also, what may be a good throw to one may not be to another. We can all smell different types of fragrances differently. I have read on here where some cannot smell vanilla at all. Good luck! :)

I use to use EZ and regular jelly jars with one wick and never had a problem getting a good throw with BCN's spiced cranberry. I would test other wicks becuase the problem could be with your wick and sometimes a change in wick altogether is what is needed. Also, the jelly jars do not have a very big opening which migh be hindering the throw.

I know its not the FO. I made wickless parrafin and they are so strong on candle warmer. Tech support did say it could have to do with air flow in my house. I don't have any air exchangers or high ceilings. I guess it could be the wicks. The reason I chose the CD is a lot of people used them with great results in 8 oz jj with these particular scents(on BCN message board). So many people seem to love Ezsoy for the throw. The candles burn great, look great, just don't have a scent. The last candles have cured a week, no hot throw yet. I'll just wait at least another week and try again. Although BCN said this is a scent that you should smell in a few days when you test burn. The second batch does have a better cold throw. We'll see. Thanks everyone.

I know its not the FO. I made wickless parrafin and they are so strong on candle warmer. Tech support did say it could have to do with air flow in my house. I don't have any air exchangers or high ceilings. I guess it could be the wicks. The reason I chose the CD is a lot of people used them with great results in 8 oz jj with these particular scents(on BCN message board). So many people seem to love Ezsoy for the throw. The candles burn great, look great, just don't have a scent. The last candles have cured a week, no hot throw yet. I'll just wait at least another week and try again. Although BCN said this is a scent that you should smell in a few days when you test burn. The second batch does have a better cold throw. We'll see. Thanks everyone.

It is a quality oil, but may not be as strong in the EZ Soy as in paraffin. I have some fragrances that throw stronger in paraffin than in the soy I use. A lot of people also think that tarts on melters are stronger than candles with wicks. I do know that many usually use more oil with soy than with paraffin. Also, like others have said here, it could be the wick or the size of jar. If you cannot find a wick to help with the throw and if using more oil does not help either, I would move on to another fragrance oil. It can be darn right frustrating. Keep up the hard work! :)

I am burning SC in 5 x8 bathroom. There is a scent throw, but light. I hear of so many people burning a votive and say it scents their entire house? You would think an 8 oz jj would scent more than a small bathroom. For those of you who use 1.5 oz per lb FO in Ezsoy, do you any problems with wicking? I'm not making candles to sell, just for me and gifts.

I have one other thing you could try. Maybe, and this might be a little out there, but when you were pouring this scent, it's possible it stuck in the air in your house and you aren't smelling it because you are used to it. I would use an oderless air freshener to clear the air in your home and try again.

I had this happen with hot apple pie from BCN, I couldn't smell it for the longest time someone recommended 'cleaning' the air and ta-da I was able to smell it perfectly at a 6% FO load.

That's probably not the problem though, I just thought I'd offer the suggestion. :)

Just started burning the Autumn Spice, getting some hot throw, weak, but there. Its a week cured. I do have a hard time smelling cinnamon scents. Spiced Cranberry has a lot of cinnamon. I'm getting encouraged! Hope another week will make the difference. I guess the extra .25 of FO helped.