Inventory question/advice needed

ShelleyBean

Ok my new years resolution is to quit buying 1oz of everything that I think I want to smell and then making clamshells and tins from them (which is going to be hard for me, I love new things lol) and start keeping a set number of fragarance oils for the whole year, with a few seasonal scents to have during those set times.

I have gone through this whole year experimenting with different containers, both unwicked and wicked, waxes, scents etc and I have finally decided what I want to concentrate on as far as what to offer on my website.

I am going to be sticking with clamshell melts, smaller (like 6oz) Tureen jars and tins.

Now after all that, my question.....how do you determine how many different scents to keep on hand? Also, how do you determine what types, as in bakery scents, floral, etc. I do realize of course sales play a big role, but for me, mine were all over the place and only 4 or 5 have really sold a lot better than the others, which of course I want to keep on hand.

I would love to say cost isnt an issue, but that would be a lie. Is 15 year around scents (not including seasonal) too little?

Sorry, after reading this back to myself, I'm sure I may have confused many, but I hope someone has a secret decoder ring and can understand my questions lol. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :smiley2:

I'd probably up that 15 to 25 or 30 or offer about 4-5 types under whatever categories you're picking. See both of those numbers seem low to me, but just starting out, maybe that's what you'd rather do. However, with sales being all over the place here too ... you know, floral moving year round any more or people wanting more bakery or this, that and the chewed bubble gum on the ground ... it gets hard to cater to wants of everyone.

I don't know what your categories will be, but say how are you planning to limit the florals and how many are you looking to have in each category? This is why I think 15 or even 20 is too low. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

I'd probably up that 15 to 25 or 30 or offer about 4-5 types under whatever categories you're picking. See both of those numbers seem low to me, but just starting out, maybe that's what you'd rather do. However, with sales being all over the place here too ... you know, floral moving year round any more or people wanting more bakery or this, that and the chewed bubble gum on the ground ... it gets hard to cater to wants of everyone.

I don't know what your categories will be, but say how are you planning to limit the florals and how many are you looking to have in each category? This is why I think 15 or even 20 is too low. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Thanks for the response. 25-30 is doable for me for sure. I have a little of everything on hand right now, above and beyond the 1oz sample size stuff that fits into each catagory.

You are very right about being able to cater to everyone. My friends have been awesome, they are honest to a fault which is great for me and them being my testers, and luckily, they dont all have the same tastes so I get to run with all catagories with them.

Right now for me, these bears are going like hotcakes which makes it good for me to be able to build up stock on FO. I didnt think these lil things would be so popular, but not complaining since I can make them quickly and have help from my teen daughter lol.

Thank you for your input, now my problem will be figuring out which ones of the samples I have tried to keep and what to not order a big amount of. Decisions decisions lol.

Oh almost forgot, as for catagories, I'm still with paper and pen on that one, I know for sure bakery and floral and I'm not sure what to call them other than dupes, but the VS and B&BW stuff is grabbed up quickly by all ages, especially teenagers (since I have two teens, I get a lot of sales from their friends). Also a seasonal catagory. Any tips or ideas on the catagory issue? Like I mentioned, I am open to all advice and suggestions.

Thanks again :D

You can look at some of the supplier websites and see the categories they do. You can randomly surf other's websites and see what they may do or if they break them into categories. There's a category for everything if you want there to be, KWIM?

That's pretty much what I have been doing, with paper and pen handy. I wish I could just have them all, wouldnt life be much more simple then? lol

I settled with 30scents and had my customers, friends and family help me choose which ones to keep.

Thanks for your reply. I really do have awesome friends, and like I mentioned, since they vary in taste it makes it easier to get all sides of the coin covered. I think my problem is, I have used BCN's bakers dozen a lot to try out new scents and would love to just keep them all, I honestly haven't found one scent I dont like. I have also gone to other sites for FO and same thing, love them all. Are there addiction classes for being a FO addict? :D

That's pretty much what I have been doing, with paper and pen handy. I wish I could just have them all, wouldnt life be much more simple then? lol

Nope. It's get more complicated lol! Then you wouldn't know what to pick and weeding down is the hardest part ;) but sometimes it's got to be done.

I still consider myself a newbie~disclaimer~, but I also have trouble narrowing down my choices. Sometimes I look at the supplier sites to see what their best sellers are. If I see a recurring theme, dupes, florals or whatever, I'll give those a try. Sometimes I don't trust my own nose to determine what others will like. And as Scented mentioned, I stick with about 5 in each catatgory.:)

When I started to do the bakery scents (sorry, this is out of my 30 scent line, but it is another brand all together that I sell in my store only), I did a poll on here and asked everyone what sold the best. I took the top 6...or was it 7? Can't remember, but took those popular ones and made only the popular ones.

It always helps to turn a deaf ear when someone is raving about a scent too so you don't get all excited and buy some lol