Craft Fairs and Listings

kristilkleer

craftlister is kinda sad since the crash, but it will come back and is a great reference.

Try your state's website and look under tourism or events.

Around here shows looking for crafters list in the classified section of the newspaper.

e-mail local schools and churches and inquire if they are having shows

Since I am thinking about branching out and going to a few neighboring states all I did was type in the state and craft shows.Got lots and lots of info.Juried or not.Cost and location.It was interesting.Just have to know my husband will be off that week-end and also don't want to wonder more than 2 1/2 - 3 hours.Money is bad in the area I live now.Need to branch out.

I will tell you some of these sure weren't cheap.The cheapest was $40.00 and about the most expensive was $500.WOW won't be going there and strangest thing maybe 3,000 in attendance.How can they charge that much for such a small attendance.Sure must be exclusive and ritzy.

LynnS

I went to craftlister.com and there is a very extensive list of shows but no info on the shows...is this due to their crash? Also is the memberships worth it? Or is that something you have to research show by show with the promoter?

I believe it worth the membership. You only have limited viewing when you're not a member. I had a membership for a few years and found it useful.

When I did my search there was no book to buy.Took me straight to the organizers, place, cost etc.Don't have to buy a book.I am sure not 100% are listed but was quite a long list.

Juried is when you take a pic of what you make and send it in.One pic is enough.Not a single pic of each thing you do.I just learned this year since it was my first time getting into one.Spent 2 hours getting the pic just right and took it 30 seconds to OK it.Wasn't time so I had to drop it off.

LynnS

I went to craftlister.com and there is a very extensive list of shows but no info on the shows...is this due to their crash? Also is the memberships worth it? Or is that something you have to research show by show with the promoter?

You have to join to be able to view everything. Also, since the crash some of the show info may still be missing. It just happened about 2 weeks ago. Vendors and promoters are starting to add their info back. It's definitely worth joining. I promote shows as well as participate as a vendor, Craftlister has worked very well for me.

I thought juried meant everything had to be handmade, like no Mary Kay stuff allowed.

You submit pictures of your art/craft/product and a jury decides if you are right for their show. A juried show doesn't necessarily mean it's a better show, but usually they are looking for quality and variety - oh, and handmade.

Juried mean they have a person or panel of judges deciding who gets in and who doesn't. Every show is different...some may just require a picture and others more info. I did one show where I had to submit a pic of my entire set up (tent and all) plus 2-3 photos of my products and include a brochure.

I think it depends on how full they are and how strictly they control the quality and look of the show. Others just want to fill the spaces!