Help!! Need idea for larger pour pot or mixing pot

Okay you big batch, candlemaking pros.. I just poured 200 candle in 3 days (by myself) and I am in serious need of larger than the average large pouring pot. Is about 8 # batches the norm? ( I did this with 2 pots to mix everything thoroughly) I have searched on here and seen the oil can method.. I don't mind using the same pots, maybe I need some ideas for large containers (buckets) to mix in first and then transfer in to the pouring pots.. what is the largest batches that most of you are pouring at once? I have been able to make (8) 16oz + (1) 8 oz jar in an 8# batch. .. I would really appreciate any ideas or methods that you guys are using to make my life easier.. I thank you!! Teri

PS.. I use the Turk n Surf as a wax melter..

You might try getting you some stock pots at walmart. I have a friend that used the double boiler method with 2 stock pots, she is able to do 12# at a time in one pot. You would have to be really careful pouring but it works... I am not making batches that big yet...lol

HTH

Yeah.. I thought I was not making sense.. I need an idea for a bowl-pot-bucket-pail to mix my batches in.. Not melt the wax in. I already need to buy another Turk n Surf. Something that is easy to wipe out after each batch.. I will try to look up a stock pot. I just might need to look at some commercial cooking equipment. I had not thought about that.. keep those great ideas coming! I really appreciate it! Teri

I'm not sure you could easily pour bigger batches. I pour 3 1/2# batches (in a glass coffee caraffe) and my arm is totally wiped out at the end of the day. Yesterday, I poured 400 6 oz tins which was about 32 batches. I mix 2 or 3 batches (caraffes) at the same time which helps and then pour them, and then start over. It helps when you have to make a LOT of one scent. Right now I am SICK of candles, but after a good nights rest, I will be back at it. Carole

I mix right in my presto pots - I have three of them that I use for candles. I can fit 8-9# of wax in them at a time. I've tried using a larger pouring pot (4# metal pouring pot) but I always end up going back to my old coffee pots because after about three batches my wrist is so sore from holding that pot so much! Plus it's easier for me to just dump everything into the presto let it melt while I measure the FO and get the containers ready. Then I mix in my FO and color and then I let it sit for a few minutes with the heat off (the last bathroom break before I get into pouring ;) ). I get a rhythm going. In my little work space I can pour about 700 10oz jars in two days - half that time is waiting for them to set up enough so I can move them into boxes and let them finish curing in my sewing room!

Good luck on your pouring spree! :)

Life & Light!

Tish

Gotta ask, how do you mix color and FO into 8 pounds of wax in a Presto pot? 8 pounds of wax fills mine so full I am afraid I would slosh if I stirred. lol.

I mix right in my presto pots - I have three of them that I use for candles. I can fit 8-9# of wax in them at a time....Life & Light!

Tish

I use soy wax so I don't know if that makes a difference but I can get 8# of wax and approximately 8oz FO in there and still be about an inch from the top. So I have plenty of room to stir softly with my chopsticks... :) I melt the first four pounds and then when that's done, I carefully add in the next four pounds. I don't really know how it works out, it just does. :)

Life & Light!

Tish

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I will be trying a few of them! My (real) job requires that I have big arm muscles so I need to work out all of the time.. so the big batches will do me some good... Can't thank all of you enough for making this easier on me!

Teri

i am a newbie, and of course i have no idea what you are talking about..but with that said..yesterday when i was at wally world looking for my newbie presto..i saw an electric turkey fryer...i almost stopped to check it out..to see if it could be used..but then i said...no...i am newbie..start small...:D now it is huge looking to me..upright like a presto kettle...big enough to hold a turkey...and electric..and it was a new item for walmart..hope this helps.