Newbie HELLO and first attempt!

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this board and candlemaking. I made my first pillar and votive last night. I have a couple questions. I used straight parafin and one source said to heat it to around 195 and another source recommended WAY hotter than that...I was a bit conservative and did the 195. The candles turned out nice but I had issues with sinking so I had to top off the candles a couple times. Also the votive, which I poured after reheating the wax (back to the 195 temp) to top off the pillar, has small bubbles. The pillar also has some minor white looking areas (I don't know what term to use) although the candle is a pinkish color. Also the scent is just about nonexistient! I used three drops as the book recommended but does anyone typically have to add more drops or perhaps it has to do with the brand of scent? I am looking forward to learning this craft and also in learning from this wonderful site! (I was going to post my photo but don't have it on a web site and cannot figure out how to post it from my PC)...

JanetK-

Normally, people use about one ounce (by weight) of scent per pound of wax. Drops will do nothing, might as well not put any scent in it at that amount. Pretty much the only drops you need to use would be if you use liquid dye. Most waxes for votives and pillars will sink while cooling. It's not uncommon to have to do a repour. Just make sure it's not too warm to the touch before you repour, or you'll have to do it again. For lots of info, read the message boards, use the search feature, and check out the links on the left. Basic Instructions and General Information and Techniques & Ideas. You'll find a LOT of great info to get you really going. Also, the online suppliers you will find mentioned here have excellent quality waxes, dyes, and scents. Much better than you'll find at a craft store. They also have starter kits you can try out. Welcome and good luck!

To add a pic to a post, click on the Go Advanced button, click Manage Attachments, and browse your computer for the pic you want. Then upload it and Submit the post. HTH

Exactly what wax are you using? Also did you poke relief holes when making the pillar? Some good basic instructions to be found here: You can access this info by clicking the "basic instructions" button on the upper left section of this page.

pillar:http://www.candletech.com/metalpillarmolds/

Votive:http://www.candletech.com/votives/

If you have not done so already, get a good scale. Preferably one that at least weighs in grams as well as ounces and pounds.

Generally most straight, fully refined, paraffin waxes will hold about 3% fo (fragrance oil) without using additives. 3% is close to 1/2 ounce per pound.

Welcome and I hope some of this helps..:smiley2:

When I started making candles (3yrs), some of the instruction books or craft and candle books said to add 3-8 drops to the wax, particularly a lot of the older ones. but I decided to do a little online research and learned from many helpful candlemakers and candle supply companies that a starting point of adding your scent to the wax is 1/2 oz by weight. But you will have to test each candle and see what works for you :D

You might try knocking your pouring temp down to get rid of the bubbles. Typically they're caused by pouring too slow, too fast, too hot, too cold. Like maybe try about 175-180? Not sure what the recommended pour temp of your wax is, but you could try a lower temp and see how it goes.

Generally, w/ FOs, I start at 1 oz per pound and see what it does. Now I do have a book that gives recipes by drops, but those are for EOs (essential oils and I haven't tackled that land yet.)

hey guys

I have a book which tells to use FO by drops (a few drops), acryclic colors to color the candle (dissolved in wax), and shoe laces as wick.

How does it sound???:D

Well, talking about real candlemaking!

I think you could pour a little colder and still have a smooth candle.

As for FO ditto what said before. A few drops will do nothing.

I'm sorry for your $$, but this is the truth!