Wick won't stick

I'm new at making container candles. I did a test jar w/just plain wax. And it turned out perfect. So, I made another one with fo and dye. My question is, can too much fo or dye cause my wick not to stick to the bottom? I cooled my wax down to 100 degrees before pouring.

Thank you for any help on this.

tartnflight

Not to be rude, but Why would you use stick'ems and not just use silicone?, I mean once the silicone dries that wick WILL NOT move no matter what, giving you peace of mind and never to worry about a wick coming loose and shifting to the side of the glass while burning. JMO

How long to wait for the silicone to dry??

Are you able to remove the old wick tab to wash and reuse the jar?? I reuse my jelly jars for testing. I have been using the hot glue gun, but many people seem to really like the silicone, so I was thinking of trying it.

Thanks!!

Renee

Are you able to remove the old wick tab to wash and reuse the jar?? I reuse my jelly jars for testing. I have been using the hot glue gun, but many people seem to really like the silicone, so I was thinking of trying it.

Thanks!!

Renee

I glue my wicks in the evening and then let them dry overnight, to get the wick out to reuse jar I use pliers to pull the tab off, but it is so well worth it not worrying about those wicks moving.

Thanks!!

Renee

I'm with BIGCAT all the way on this one..:smiley2:

I generally let my silicone setup overnight. If I'm in a rush, I have let them setup for 2 hours and then poured. (it didn't come loose - but I think that overnight is still the better way) You can remove the old wick tab after testing and reuse the jar. You just have to use a decent pair of pliers to pull the tab out.

The thing about the silicone, is that it stays put even if candle burner X was to forget and let the candle burn all the way down to a nub. I tested that scenario with high temp hot glue and some of them let go and floated over to the side of the glass creating a possible danger of cracking the glass and causing a fire.

Testing under the same conditions, the GE silicone II - (window and door - clear) tabs didn't move.

With the silicone I use ... the tube says that setup time is 1 hour.

Candlebuddy, what type is that? the 1 hr set up time would be better than overnight. With 3 kids, and working full time, my candlemaking is done in bulk like a frenzie!:D I have been using hot glue gun, but I have had a coulple of the wicks slide at the end of the burn, and that has me very nervous. I have been asking my customers to let me know, but nothing.

Thanks, Renee

Not to be rude, but Why would you use stick'ems and not just use silicone?, I mean once the silicone dries that wick WILL NOT move no matter what, giving you peace of mind and never to worry about a wick coming loose and shifting to the side of the glass while burning. JMO

Hi BIGCAT,

I only used the stick'ems, cause I'm still new and never thought of just using silicone. But, I know different now. I'm going to give the silicone a try today. I just happen to have some. :grin2:

Thanks for the help!

~tartnflight

someone gave me a coffee can full of silicone, can I use that to stick the wicks? Or what can I use it for? Any ideas? Thanks

Snow,

There are two types of silicone; one, which will never set up and the adhesive (sealant) type, which is what some chandlers use for their wicks. If yours is in a coffee can, it likely isn't the type you need.

As far as using wick stickums, we use them with no problems as long as the glassware is clean. We have bought some "bargain" jelly jars which had some kind of film on them that caused the stickums to let go. We had to run every jar through the diswasher before we could use them.

I know that silicone works well, but don't want to take the time to let them set up before pouring. When you're doing a big fund raiser, you just don't have the time or space to have to wait for the jars to set up.

Don G.

I usually have my jars wicked and waiting days or weeks ahead of when I need the. I use silicone but have used it minutes before pouring. Just don't pull on the wick for a couple of hrs. I also use the wick tabs if I am testing and in the tins and I always wipe with alochol or run through the dishwasher first.

Candlebuddy, what type is that? the 1 hr set up time would be better than overnight. With 3 kids, and working full time, my candlemaking is done in bulk like a frenzie!:D I have been using hot glue gun, but I have had a coulple of the wicks slide at the end of the burn, and that has me very nervous. I have been asking my customers to let me know, but nothing.

Thanks, Renee

Your answer to "what type is that?" is on post #4 on this thread..scroll up.:smiley2: