figuring % load of FO

izzy2

Top has a point, but it really doesn't matter.

The difference is slight, and as long as you do it the same way all the time, it makes no difference to anything.

This can become quite a complicated and confusing discussion but it needn't be. It's all in your perspective.

Your way means that you add 6% OF your original 16 oz. in FO, creating 16.96 total oz, of which 5.66% is now actually FO. Tops way means that OF your original 16oz., 6% of it is FO, still leaving you with the original 16 oz.

You're not taking a test, nothing bad is going to happen no matter which way you do it. The only thing that happens is that one way you end up with a slightly smaller % of FO overall, but so what. All you have to do is increase the % rate that you use in your calculation a tiny bit to make up the difference.

The only thing that matters is which way is easiest for you to figure, and that you simply do it the same way all the time.

I do also agree that it it important to weigh (in %), not measure, all your ingredients. If you add stearic or UV or whatever, turn it into a percentage cuz measuring spoons just isn't accurate nor consistent.

I have to disagree. Percentage formulas certainly aren't necessary, but the best alternative is to stick with ratios per pound of wax. 1 oz per pound is both simpler and closer to 6% than 16 x .06.

If someone asks about percetage formulas then let's give them the correct answer rather than making up yet a third approach (pretendages).

6% is roughly 15oz wax to 1oz of fo.... 1 part in 16 is the fragrance. 1/16=.0625. If you do 16oz wax to 1 oz fo then you are at .0588 [ 1 part in 17]. Most waxes hold 6-8%. Do what works for you. If you are pouring into 8oz jars it would make sense to have the total = 16 rather than 17oz just to reduce the waste. Then again, fluid ounces is different than weighted ounces....:tongue2: . I hate waste so I figured the weight of my 15 fluid ounces and then add 1oz fo and it all fits nicely in my jar. There, clear as mud, right??

Top,I have been making candles for three years,and have never figure my %.Someone gave me a chart when I first started.Tell me if I am doing this right.I use the 16 oz apoth jar,with 18 ozs measured,or 14.4 weigh wax,with 8% fo,1.34 ozs.It fills the jar perfect.

Thanks

Edited to say I wasn't very good in math,in school.

Tell me if I am doing this right. I use the 16 oz apoth jar, with...14.4 weigh wax...fo, 1.34 ozs.

As far as what percentage of the candle is fragrance, that's the candle net weight divided by the fo weight. 15.74 / 1.34 = about 8.5%.

So it's not what you thought it was, but if it fills the jar right and it works right and it smells right, then it's right. Simply choosing a ratio that works for you and using it consistently is fine.

Percentage formulas don't give you a huge advantage in a simple case where it's only wax and fragrance oil. However, they're the only ones that can consistently handle arbitrary amounts of multiple ingredients.

After figuring out i that i was using way too much wax i came up with this. The first number is the amount of fo in oz and the second is the amount of wax in oz. This is for my 10 oz (which i only fill with 8 oz) and 16 oz apothcary jars. I hope this is right.

.8/8=10% 1.6/16=10%

.7/8=8.75% 1.5/16=9.3%

.6/8=7.5% 1.4/16=8.7%

.5/8=6.5% 1.3/16=8.1%

.4/8=5% 1.2/16=7.5%

.2/8=2.5% 1.0/16=6.2%

i was using 10% with all my fo! oops!

I have to disagree. Percentage formulas certainly aren't necessary, but the best alternative is to stick with ratios per pound of wax. 1 oz per pound is both simpler and closer to 6% than 16 x .06.

If someone asks about percetage formulas then let's give them the correct answer rather than making up yet a third approach (pretendages).

LMAO Top. What the hell was made up....what was "pretended"? What I said was to use a given % for all your additives. Period. Nothing made up about it. It's not subjective, whereas measuring is. And what's so magical about 6%? It means nothing. It's just a number. I think it's misleading people to say that you should figure it "this way" only because you end up closer to 6%. Big flippin deal if you end up a fraction above or below 6%, or any other number. The actual % used means absolutely nothing. What matters is the process you use to figure your formulas, and making sure you are consistent.

It may sound nice and easy to say just stick with "1 oz. per lb"....but what confuses people is when they then have to figure for amounts that are not in even lb. increments.....like .625 or something like that. If you use %, it's easy to figure out exactly how much you need of anything, no matter how much overall product you need. No leftover, no hassle, no complicated math.

If I need to fill an apoth with 16 Net wt., then I use 94% wax and 6% FO. If I were to use additives, it might be 91% wax, 3% additives, and 6% FO. Or whatever. All my components are done by %, based on weight. It's simple and it's dead on every time. So where's the problem? And why do you consider that to be incorrect?

If I need to fill an apoth with 16 Net wt., then I use 94% wax and 6% FO. If I were to use additives, it might be 91% wax, 3% additives, and 6% FO. Or whatever. All my components are done by %, based on weight. It's simple and it's dead on every time. So where's the problem? And why do you consider that to be incorrect?

I do consider that correct. Izzy was trying to figure out how to calculate 6% FO and did it incorrectly. I provided the correct method, which is exactly what you just said.

Alternatively, 1 oz pp is closer than .96 oz pp if you feel more comfortable with ratios. Doing that multiplication izzy did and adding the result to the wax doesn't give you a better answer.

Need other percentages?

5% = 5/6 = .83 oz per pound

6.25% = 6.25/6 = 1.04 oz per pound

7% = 7/6 = 1.17 oz per pound

8% = 8/6 = 1.33 oz per pound

9% = 9/6 = 1.5 oz per pound

10% = 10/6 = 1.67 oz per pound

12% = 12/6 = 2 oz per pound

It's only an approximation but a better one.

• 5 years later...
Since '09? Wow...seems like I saw him a year or so pop in. His knowledge was awesome along with the way he presented it.

Top may have popped in since 09... but myself personally, I have not been here since 09... lingering since the end of 2011 though. Trying to get into the swing of things.

Top may have popped in since 09... but myself personally, I have not been here since 09... lingering since the end of 2011 though. Trying to get into the swing of things.

Yep, see you did write you hadn't been here since '09. Hope you are able to get back in the swing soon. Seems once its in our blood it just never goes away :)

Yeah, where'd he go? You could always depend on him to inject some sanity when a thread got too insane.

I miss him too. Looks like he last visited in May 2011 and was lurking for a while before that. Maybe he just got tired of trying to present educational posts only to be confronted by strongly opinionated personalities that differed.

I miss him too. Looks like he last visited in May 2011 and was lurking for a while before that. Maybe he just got tired of trying to present educational posts only to be confronted by strongly opinionated personalities that differed.

I do remember some of those clashes. That's too bad. I respected him a lot and I loved his dry sense of humor. More recently, we're missing some others who used to post a lot....Islandgirl, luminousboutique, kyme...those are a few off the top of my head but I know there's more.

That is just a shame if that is what happened. I, personally was very appreciative of his informative posts. He did truly know his stuff.