Question about 50/50 blend and melt pool. (Updated, pg. 2-I called Farmhouse)

Ok, maybe I'm just used to all soy and the melt pool with that wax. I can't seem to understand why after over 10 hours of total burn time, I still haven't acheived a full melt pool all the way across my jars (3 inch diam.). I'm testing with CDN 10's all the way up to 18's and none of them have given me a full melt pool. Is that normal for this wax?

I can post a pic if you'd like to see what I'm talking about. Please help if you can, it's so frustrating using a new wax and not knowing what to expect. TIA!

Jenn

post-4185-139458413838_thumb.jpg

post-4185-139458413842_thumb.jpg

Have you tried a different series of wicks? I know that when I went from pure soy to testing GL 70/30 I had to use a different series of wicks to get the same results. I have much better luck with the Eco series in the 70/30 then I did with them in pure soy. HTH

OK, sorry for the delay in responding. We drove to Upstate NY today to be with family for th holiday but I brought my candles to continue burning, lol.

Here were my burn times...

1st burn-4 hours

2nd burn- 3 hours

3rd burn- 3 1/2 hours

and now they've been burning for over 2 1/2 hours and still look awful, they're not catching up at all. Strange because I would have thought that at least the CDN 18's would do something, but they look just as awful as the 10's! I poured some with LX's and RRD's too but they actually drowned out quickly. I didn't even bother to continue those burns, I couldn't actually:cry2: .

It's the 50/50 blend from Farmhouse and the date on the box is 8/17/06.

Off to check my pm's, Sharon.

Is this your first try at the 50/50 blend? The wax I had gotten from C&S that was bad was much more firm than usual, and I bought mine in the beginning of September. Since C&S & Farmhouse get their wax from the same supplier, I am wondering if it's that certain batch. I could not get a melt pool more than 2 inches in diameter with a CD20 with the bad wax. Do a finger touch test...if you can barely leave a fingerprint, you may have a bad batch.

I feel your pain in this.

I am afraid that you may have a bad batch of wax sweetie. Everything you are saying really sounds like a bad batch of 1275 from C&S which is the same wax as the 50/50 from Farmhouse. I think Farmhouse gets their 50/50 from the same place as C&S, which is CJ Richardson. This would explain a lot b/c all of the wicks are drowning out and not just one type and you have wicked up and you still have the same effect then it has to be the wax.

Debscent you beat me to the punch! I did not read your post until after I posted.

It's sounding more and more to me like this must be a bad batch too. It's my 1st time using it so I can't compare it to past experiences. Unfortonately though, from what everyone is saying and from the look of my candles after burning them for 4 more hours last night, I'm thinking it's bad. I wouldn't even give them away let alone sell them!

I'm going to call today and talk to her. Thanks for all of the help, I thought I was going crazy!

I'll update you all after I speak with her.

Cleanglow, it's not sounding so great! I would really suggest the finger touch test. You can easily penetrate the wax with your finger if it is the right formula, and a knife goes through it very easily when it's correct. Let us know, we feel your pain sista!!!

And, yes, Sharon and I bitched on PM about this when we experienced it!

I was considering the ride to Farmhouse, but we will see.

Yea, Deb, I am so gunshy now about this, I will have to have them open the case up for me to poke the slabs from now on before I ride outta there w/ it!!! I KNOW you're feeling that way !!!!!!!:cry2:

Well I spoke to Sherri and she doesn't disclose where she gets her wax from but she did tell me that it's not from Bridgeport, PA where C&S gets theirs. I can understand her not wanting to disclose that info.

She did tell me that she never has any problems with this wax and I'm using wax from the same batch as her. She uses zinc core wicks though. I don't want to use those so I guess I'm screwed. She also said that this wax is nothing even close to the consistency of crisco. She was very nice and is allowing me to exchange it but I'm thinking that won't do any good if it's all from the same batch anyway. I know someone else here uses that wax with CD's too and has no problems so I just don't get it.

She asked me about my FO and dye. They are dye free (obviously from the pics) and I used one of my lightest FO's to test the hot throw while I was testing the wicks.

Maybe she'll let me return it and just pay for the slab that I used a part from.

I'll try the 50/50 from C&S next, maybe I'll have better luck if they've resolved the problems they were having.

Well, my last batch of 1275 has behaved perfectly, now I know to just test a formula before I pour again. I'm not interested in changing what I have done for the last 3 years and starting over. I will do the touch test to each new case I buy though, and will not accept partial cases where you can see a slab was added either.

cleanglow - I am using the exact same wax that both you and Sherri are using. I bought it from Sherri about 3 weeks ago. It's all from the same batch.

I've been pouring like crazy; I've already gone through almost 2 cases of wax in the last week or so. I have never experienced any problems with wicking. I use CD10's and CD12's.

Right now I'm burning Pumpkin & Vanilla from The Candle Source (using a CD12). No problem with the burn; great throw. I've tested at least 6 or so new fo's in the last few days ... everything is burning fine. I can't understand why you're having this problem... very:werd:

Sherri has excellent customer service ... hope it all works out for you.

cleanglow - I am using the exact same wax that both you and Sherri are using. I bought it from Sherri about 3 weeks ago. It's all from the same batch.

I've been pouring like crazy; I've already gone through almost 2 cases of wax in the last week or so. I have never experienced any problems with wicking. I use CD10's and CD12's.

Right now I'm burning Pumpkin & Vanilla from The Candle Source (using a CD12). No problem with the burn; great throw. I've tested at least 6 or so new fo's in the last few days ... everything is burning fine. I can't understand why you're having this problem... very:werd:

Sherri has excellent customer service ... hope it all works out for you.

Candlebuddy - It's great that you're not having any problems. I wish I could say the same. I agree that it is weird. I've been making candles for 10 years so I'm sure you can understand my frustrations, especially when a CDN 18 is not giving me a full meltpool and you're having no problems with 10's and 12's.

I also agree that her customer service is great. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

I haven't ben able to do anything yet because I'm in Upstate NY visiting family for Thanksgiving. We'll be returning over the weekend so I'll figure out exactly what I'm going to do when I get home. Thanks for asking though and have a great holiday! :grin2:

Jenn

I am dying to know what is happening with your candles. Please let me know as soon as you get back. I ordered the 50/50 from Farmhouse and have yet to recieve but I talked to Sherrie and told her that I was aware of your issue and to pluleeze send me the good stuff! I will let you know as soon as I test burn the first batch!!!

Please keep us informed, I'm now officially boycotting C&S (they have not resolved their wax issue, they are actually selling it as a 2nd grade wax now). I'm stuck for this weekend, but need to find a good 50/50 supplier, hopefully in driving distance.