Wholesaling question... what kind of stores?

cleanglow

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering what types of stores do you market? Are they just locally owned stores, or do you market larger, national brand stores too?

I want to start after the holidays but I feel a little lost as to where to begin. I'm not worried about the actual selling/marketing part, I've got plenty of B2B sales experience. But now that I'll be doing it for myself, I don't know where to start!

Go to your local stores and check out what types they are selling, they may noght match up to what you are selling. Find the ones you think and grab a card. Then follow up/make appts. As far as chains. it depends. Some have corporate buying locations and some buy individually. I have one chain specifically that has 70 stores. Each one buys themselves. I got into one, now after 2 months, I'm into 3 more, cause they talk to each other. I will never get into all 70 cause each one has a different style, but at least its working to my benefit. Other than that chains are very hard to work with. I worked in the buying office for Bon Ton & Giant, and their procedure was very tough. What you would normally wholesale for $5.00, they want it for $3.00.

Most of the gift shops I spoke with only will deal with legit area sales reps. to buy their products from, so that is something to consider. The merchants I spoke with said it is because they have alot of sales people walk through their door and need to make sure they aren't going to get ripped off. That is why so many merchants want to only do consignment, they aren't out anything except store space if things don't sell.

I have a retail store and make candles at the store. My 2nd best candle selling season is Valentine's Day (VD), almost becoming bigger than Christmas.

You may want to check with stores for VD, but most are buying now for VD, at least I do. I buy for Christmas in the spring and delivery in Aug.-Sept.

Actually right after the holidays I will have another big rush. Retailers will be restocking. I set up at Trade Shows to obtain wholesale accounts. Those people are there to buy. January starts the new year for Trade Shows and is usually one of the bigger ones to attend. This year retail is up so that means more retailers will be at trade shows/market ready to buy.