Help Needed Desperately! - 415 Users

OMG! I feel sick. I ordered 20 lbs. 464 a month or so back to begin my testing. Finally worked out the kinks, settled on pouring temps, wicks, etc..... Got my first large order for pure soy so I ordered a case. They accidently sent me 415!!!!!! I dont know what to do. I know absolutely nothing about 415. I know that it is supposed to be poured slushy and thats about it. I was so happy with the 464 cause I could pour it hot. Thank God the order is for 100 8 oz. Jelly Jars in 10 scents, so at least I dont have to test a bunch of different jars. I hate to ask this question cause I know how irksome it is to see someone asking the whole "how do I make a candle" type question, but thats basically what I am feeling like. Can some 415 users give me some tips on this wax, as far as heating temp, pouring tip, and a starting point on wicking for the 8 oz. Jelly Jars. Again, I am sorry to just out right ask this, but I have very little time to start from scratch. Of course I have no beeswax, as I had read it helps this wax. I need to try to test all the scents and get these made by this weekend to ship out Monday. :embarasse So PLEASE have pitty on a desperate little candle maker. :cry2:

The wicks I have on hand are CD 14 & 16, LX 10, 20, 22 & 26, ECO 2, 8 & 10 and HTP 93 & 105. Lord please let one of these be the one! If not then I guess I will have to order more.

BTW, there isnt some additive I could add to the 415 to make it like the 464 is there? Just had to ask.

Any help anyone offers will be VERY much appreciated.

HI!!!

For a standard 8oz jelly jar, using 415, I use htp 105/104 for 99% of my oils.

I heat the 415 to 185, mix my fo, wait until it becomes slushy, about 110 deg. then pour. I dont use any additives, so I cant help with the beeswax.

hth,

Renee:grin2:

BTW, there isnt some additive I could add to the 415 to make it like the 464 is there? Just had to ask.

If you add USA (Universal Soy Additive) at 2% it will behave more like 444, which is a higher melt point version of 464.

There's no way they'll send you the 464 you ordered and take the 415 back?

Oh, Im gonna call them for sure. But, after dealing with this particular for quite awhile, I know their customer service isnt that great and I doubt they will replace it. But I will still try to get a hold of them, and I do stress try, cause Ive tried countless times and only gotten through once before.

FunnyGirl,

Can you call your customer and explain that you were sent the wrong wax by the supplier and you have to wait to get the correct wax.

I would hope the customer would understand.

Then call the supplier and see if the can get out a new box of the 464 to you ASAP..

What if you make all these candles and they don't burn right?? That would be worse...Then you might lose a re-order...

My experience the the 415 Straight...

I would recommend the CD 14 for your 8 ozJJ..

If it is a tough FO like Home Sweet Home, Patchouli, Spiced Cran, then wick up to the Cd 16.

415 is harder to wick than the 464..

I definatly have concidered calling the customer, and will if I have to. Candlemaking is my full time job, so I am pouring up testers tonight with all of your suggestions and am hoping to settle on wicks by the end of the week, so I can pour this weekend. Unless I have a terrible time with this wax, I think with it just being 10 scents I should be able to manage this. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

I did just notice something quite interesting though, the 464 is no longer on their site!!!!!????? Could this be why I they sent me the 415? It used to say Classic 464 wax, then it had classic soy wax and then classic soy w/cottonseed oil. Now all that is on there is classic soy & classic soy w/cottonseed oil. I guess classic soy is 415, and I have no idea what it is with the cottonseed oil. ARGGGGGGG! And it's not like you can ever get ahold of these people either. I use them cause they are close and ship fast, but their CS is for the birds. :embarasse

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. So far it looks like CD 16's and HTP 105's are working great. Now I dont know how these wicks will throw as my candles didnt get any cure time. Does anyone know if both these wicks tend to throw good in this wax? Tomorrow I will start testing my 10 oz. Apothecaries and Im thinking of starting out with 2 CD 14's or 16's. Does this sound good for 4" diameter? Thanks again everyone! :D

Both CDs and HTPs throw well in this wax. But I preface that with what I am sure you already know, this is also dependent upon the FO. But for the most part, they do perform well in 415. With the CD 14 and 16's I think would be a good starting point. With HTPs, I'd start with 2 93's and maybe even 104 or 105 if the FO is heavy.

OK, good. Since I wont know hot throw until next week I thought I would just check and see what everyone else thought. You know how with certian waxes some series throw and others dont. I know all the scents I am useing throw well w/the CD series in the 464, so Im hoping they will throw in this wax too. The cold throw seems good though, maybe even better than w/464. I kinda have a little candlenose off and on, but the cold throw does seem a bit stronger in the 415.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. So far it looks like CD 16's and HTP 105's are working great. Now I dont know how these wicks will throw as my candles didnt get any cure time. Does anyone know if both these wicks tend to throw good in this wax? Tomorrow I will start testing my 10 oz. Apothecaries and Im thinking of starting out with 2 CD 14's or 16's. Does this sound good for 4" diameter? Thanks again everyone! :D

Never cured my 415 candles before testing, and the throw was awesome! As long as you are using quality fragrance oils and the candles are wicked correctly, you should not have a throw problem with the 415. HTH