Coconut Milk soap

jes432

How much coconut milk do you use to replace the water?

According to her recipe you should replace all the water with the coconut milk. The exact amount will depend on how big of a batch you are making, which you will calculate through the lye calculator to find exact amounts of oils, water and lye.

• 1 month later...

I've yet to soap with a pure coconut FO, only a mix of coconut peaches & milk in it. My CPM moved fast on me which might have been due to the coconut. I do know that it is notorious for turning brown. You can find some out there that don't turn. I can't imagine that coconut milk would be much different than soaping with other milks but that is just a guess since I've never soaped with coconut milk. I'll bet it makes a nice soap though. Especially if its scented coconut. I love a coconut scent.

I meant are coconut FOs difficult or coconut milk FOs... Darn this "no editing" thing!

I know what you are asking.... It is the coconut FO. I have tried at least 4 FO that smell great in the bottle and in the soap for a couple of days and then the scent fades and is almost non-existent. I would really love to find a good coconut FO for CP soap that does not fade.... :undecided

BTW, the recipe sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have any problem with Peaks Coconut Milk FO. Might have turned a little off color, but not even close to brown. The smell has held through the CP process, but it has changed some. Out of the bottle it was more of a fake coconutty smell like suntan lotion or something and in the soap it is more like a real fresh coconut.

Now if anyone was talking about the milk and not the FO the only part about the coconut milk that makes it somewhat of a PITA is having to freeze it and get it slushy.

• 2 years later...

I made some coconut milk soap too... it was a canola/olive/coconut oil mix, I used canned goats milk (12oz) (froze it into a slush before adding it) and disolved the lye in 12oz water, added the goats milk when it had cooled to 90*, and then made sure that mixed well before I added it to the oils. The lye started to almost trace on me when I added the coconut milk, so that was startling, but once I mixed with the oils and used my stick blender it slowed up and turned out great! Mine have been curing for 4 weeks, they are nice and firm, lather REALLY well.. must be the extra coconut in it, but they are more bubbly than my regular bars for sure. I love it! I might use it much more often

Mine do not smell like coconut milk though... they dont have any coconut scent at all.. must depend on the brand you use!!

• 2 weeks later...
I made some coconut milk soap too... it was a canola/olive/coconut oil mix, I used canned goats milk (12oz) (froze it into a slush before adding it) and disolved the lye in 12oz water, added the goats milk when it had cooled to 90*, and then made sure that mixed well before I added it to the oils. The lye started to almost trace on me when I added the coconut milk, so that was startling, but once I mixed with the oils and used my stick blender it slowed up and turned out great! Mine have been curing for 4 weeks, they are nice and firm, lather REALLY well.. must be the extra coconut in it, but they are more bubbly than my regular bars for sure. I love it! I might use it much more often

Mine do not smell like coconut milk though... they dont have any coconut scent at all.. must depend on the brand you use!!

I meant coconut milk, blah! So tired.