craft show question

slycats

Hello! New here and first off I want to say how much I've enjoyed reading everyones messages. I've gotten alot of great ideas. Thanks! Now on to my question-- I started making soap back in September 'just for fun', I enjoyed it so much I started filling up my DR and spare Bdrm. Realizing that I was going broke giving it away to family and friends, I just signed up for my 1st craft show next Saturday. After getting all my soap arranged in neat wooden trays (which weighs a ton), making signs, making some 'gift boxes' to sell, making a big raffle gift basket (requirement from craft show people), bags, business cards, tablecloth and boxes for displaying, etc. and numerous other stuff I might need... my pile is huge!! And both my hubby and daughter have to work in the morning so they won't be any help. How does everyone manage it? Is there a secret? I couldn't possibly invest one more cent in this or my hubby will leave me, so please don't tell me to buy a cart or something. Help.... Any suggestions? Thanks and I hope to be a 'regular'. Stacy (in Michigan):D

I couldn't possibly invest one more cent in this or my hubby will leave me, so please don't tell me to buy a cart or something.

I just had my first show with virtually no help yesterday. If I can't find a dolly in my price range before the next show in a few weeks I'll go to the thrift store and buy a kid's wagon or something. No way am I lugging all of those boxes by myself again. :tongue2:;)

I rented a UHaul for 2 years, outgrew the vehicle on the second show. Saved and got my trailer last week.. this weekend was first time I could haul home and go inside without unloading!! WooHoo!! Dollies are real nice.. might see if a neighbor has one you could use, or check out the UHaul place to rent one. How expensive could they be, maybe $20 and they'd make your life a whole lot easier. Should be able to check that out online. Other crafters often are very nice. When I'm alone I've often had another crafter suggest I use their bigger dollie or cart, and even helped to load a few things for me. A childs wagon might also be used to move stuff if you got one. Good luck!!

Hey slycat, where i Mich. are you at. I am in Mich. too. Where is your craft show going to be? I am in Lansing and have not done craft shows doing soap but i use to paint on sweat shirts and take them to craft shows. It is hard only to set up and to take down. But can be lots of fun. Some times the craft show has a something you can use to get your stuff to your spot. Not most of the times. Let us know how you do. Good luck to you.

Hey slycat, where i Mich. are you at. I am in Mich. too. Where is your craft show going to be? I am in Lansing and have not done craft shows doing soap but i use to paint on sweat shirts and take them to craft shows. It is hard only to set up and to take down. But can be lots of fun. Some times the craft show has a something you can use to get your stuff to your spot. Not most of the times. Let us know how you do. Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried looking to see if any neighbors' kids had a wagon I could borrow, but I don't think they're very popular anymore. I'm going to try a second hand shop next.

I'm in SE Michigan, near Romeo? Rochester? around there. I'm starting out small with a local church's craft show to see how it goes, although they have over 75 crafters signed up so far.:o I'm alittle nervous but excited too. Do most of you arrange your soaps by shape or scent? I was planning on shapes, but my 'peanut gallery' (DH & DD)think scents. Just wondering.

Stacy

I know you said you didn't want to spend any more money, but my dolly is the best$70 I ever spent! I got it from Home Depot. it converts into 2 different types of dollies. The normal, hand truck kind, and another one that resembles a wagon. The dolly was the best investment b/c I can use it for other things too. I don't know how much stuff you but I am using lugging in a lot between candles, jewelry and gift baskets.

I have one of the fold-up flat-bed carts also and love it! Unfortunately, the only show I've done since I got it, the entrance doors were up a hill (not paved, of course) from the parking lot so I wasn't able to use it for that one, but it was helpful just getting the cases from the back room of my house to the door to load the truck. I think it was $30 well spent.