Marble Pillar wax consistency

I have made several marble candles and have followed the instructions from the "Techiniques & Ideas" listed at the left.

Starting at #4 it reads:

4. Take a spoon or fork and scrap the sides of the pan and continue to mix your wax until it reaches a watery oatmeal consistency.

5. Add 3 drops of liquid dye to this mixture, mix slightly.

6. Pour the mixture into your mold.

My question : Can you actually POUR the mixture into your mold? For me, it starts out a watery oatmeal consistency (only for a few seconds) but then becomes close to mashed potatoe consistency. I cant pour anything, I end up spooning the wax into the mold.

Is this normal? Should I be pressing the wax down compact? I have made relief holes (and had issues with my wick I had been using- flat braid 1/0) but since I tried the 62z' they are burning better. I just wondered if the wax is supposed to be nearly solid when putting it in the mold.

Would love to hear what others have experienced.

Thank You everyone.

Once you have poured into the mold take your heat gun and heat the sides of the mold while tapping it the your wooden spoon or what ever you use to mix with. This also gets the air bubbles out. Once you see a small amount of liquid wax around the edges of the mold stop using the heat gun and tap until no more air bubbles come up. Tapping the mold alot will also help the wax to settle into the mold. HTH

It's been a LONG time since I made a marble, but I was able to pour (although slowly) - didn't have to use a spoon.....but the air temp I was pouring in was warmer than it would be now that I pour in the basement - that may make a difference if I was to try it again.

I must be doing something incorrectly because my wax never is "pourable", it becomes a blob, after the initial 5 seconds that IT IS the consistency of "watery oatmeal". :undecided

I guess I can give it another whirl. The candles burn fine, but would prefer it to be less clumpy when making them.

I also had read addiing mineral oil to get mottling? Anyone tried this? And how much would you use? (I read it under the description for the 1343 wax -if I remember right- on the Peak Wax page.

If you are already using fo, you won't need mineral oil to mottle - just make sure not to use vybar or universal additive, those will inhibit mottling - hth - Like I said, it's been close to two years since I've made a marble, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly about being able to pour - I'll try it again hopefully soon - but so long as your end result is good you're ok! :highfive:

eta: Since the wax is so cool, though, in marbles - I'm not sure you can achieve a mottle? Anyone out there know differently? Mottles typically need to be poured a bit warmer.

I don't think you'll get much in the way of mottle because your wax cools so fast. The wax will get clumpy real fast but you will get better with practice...gotta work fast:undecided AND you can hit the outside of your pour pot with the heat gun to get a little more liquidity just before you add your color. Heat the mold before you pour, tamp the wax down and/or slam the mold on the table several times to help the wax settle down. Then when done, hit the outside of the mold again with the heat gun like Reese suggests.

I tried a few marbles and was wondering the same thing. I kinda had to spoon some of the wax into the mold too. I didn't get a lot of the marble look like the ones on here. Someone told me to pour a little bit hotter so that the color would blend better, didn't try it yet tho. If you figure it out, let me know or if I do I'll let you know...:highfive: I got the outside nice and smooth after a try or two but not enough marbles! :grin2: Oh well, practice makes perfect! Good luck, Dee