Getting Frustrated

dcroome2005

None of my colors are coming out right in my CP. I have tried micas, Select Shades and some other kind of colors and it's not coming out like I want it to. Dang it. I tried Thin Mint tonight in soap. Smells great so far but doesnt look like what I pictured. I can't wait to get my micas from Shutter's Co-op and maybe try those. When I want Red- I get Orange or Pink, When I want Purple, I get blue. When I want green, I get a brownish. UGH, does it ever end?

Christina

Red is really hard. I even have that Extreme Red that I used for a MacIntosh FO - got a gorgeous dark pink. But it lathers colorless so I'm going to try one more time with MORE color.

My Select Shades works out pretty well - my burgundy/plum colors came out true! And my greens too. For purple I blended my own long ago (no idea what company or ratios) and they cured out purple. Do you have discoloring oils (high olive) or FOs?

I've never had OO discolor a batch in my life. I use the EVOO. I'm thinking the only OO that will discolor is pomace, it's got a hint of green to it. Even in batches that I've left uncolored and has 75% OO, they are snow white.

If you have time later next week, I can work with you on coloring. About this time next week.

Or, if you have those spoons that measure small amounts, you can make a batch of soap, get it to thin trace, pull out a cup and mix in one tiny scoop, pour into mold and move on to the next colorant. If you want to make sure the soap gels, insulate heavily with a heating pad under neath. You will sometimes get different colors using the same colorants from gel to ungelled soap.

MMS sells the small measuring spoons I am referring too. PM me if you need me to go into further detail. (This is how I figured out how much of the aussie clays I needed to add to get colors I desired, used all the soap in a chunck batch after I was done with my experiment).

I have used mostly oxides and natural colors (paprika and cinnamon). I got my oxides from the classies and from WSP. the only one I have really had trouble with was the red oxide from the classies, I get red bubbles with my Spiced Cranberry soap. I have also tried the geltones frim BCN, but I have to use so much to get the color I want. I think I am going to stick with the Oxides and I did order 1-2 micas from Shutterbug's co-op that i can't wait to try.

Steph

If you have rice bran you could sub it for the olive. I use olive oil in my recipe and have never gotten a color I wasn't expecting from my select shades. The Mardi Gras that I posted a while back (see link below), I used select shades, and mixed a nice green and purple in it and it turned out wonderful. I do find that they take a bit of getting used to, with the measuring.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21296&highlight=mardi+gras

I have been having good luck with the colors I have gotten from The Sage, in my soap. The blue I got from them is supposed to stay blue, but I haven't tried it out yet. The purples I got from them, the Grape does supurb in soap, with just a small amount. I had great luck with the green and the red brick oxides from Starrville. I am really starting to like the powders and clays in my soaps, verses the select shades. I know how disappointing it is to expect one color, and get another. Just keep testing. :D

I can feel your pain! I don't use OO in some of my batches and I still can't get SS to work. The colors morph on me so I gave up on SS. I only bought them as I was in search and still 'em for that red! Clay doesn't work for me either, nor does micas that I've tried :cry2:.