Determining Good Throw

This has probably been discussed before but I can't seem to find anything related when I search. Anyway, how does one determine good cold and hot throw?

For example if I stick my nose in the (cold) candle jar I can smell the scents, my boyfriend can smell that at a further distance. So just because he can smell them at a further distance that doesn't mean everyone can. With hot its a little difference, I can smell it in the air for like 2 minutes then it's gone (I become accustomed to it quickly).

So what are the rules, how do I know if my throw is considered good enough, or up to par.

Thanks,

~~Kelly~~

Well I'm not sure there's a concrete answer for that since everyone sense of smell is different. Why don't you get a few honest friends to do some sniffin'? Give them a simple form to evaluate throw for you.

Sometimes I can barely smell anything and think my candle flopped but others can smell them strongly...I can never depend on my own sniffer!

Yeah I'll have to do that. I guess I must have broken my nose. He started to bring the candle up to his nose and be like this smells really good, then I'd have to say "What? Are you sure?", then stick my whole face into the candle and still barely smell anything.

I guess everyone is probably going to be looking at me like I'm nuts when they smell them, but if not then I can look at my boyfriend like he's nuts! :)

I see so many post where people are claiming to have great throws hot and cold and I'm always just thrown, I want to be like 'according to who!', but that's just because I'm jealous and can't smell my own candles!

Thanks for the replies.

I have found that since making candles, and when I am constantly pouring I totally lose my sense of smell. I can't smell anything or everything smells the same. I have tried the coffee and it doesn't work.

I pour my candles that I am testing and give them to friends and let them be my testers. They love the free candles and it helps me out.

Hahaha yeah, I tried the coffee thing too, but then all I smell is coffee. (I hate the smell of coffee). I guess I was just scared about breaking my nose, because before I started making as many candles as I do now, I always thought I had a great sense of smell. I could smell my neighbor in his apt smoking a cigarette in our smoke free apt building within seconds... so it's very sad to realize I lost my sense of smell! *Sniff*:(

~~Kelly~~

P.S. Too bad I can still smell bad things (i.e. coffee **BLECH**)

Hi

I wonder the same thing. I have made candles in the past, and now an back at it this time with soy. First of all soy is a pain sometimes as we all know. Pouring & pouring only makes it worse with the enevitable delelopment of "candle nose".. So many times in my small house I burn something in my room and cant smell a darn thing, I go in the other room for a bit, re enter the room with the candle and the scent is strong ! I have come to the conclusion that we can only do the best we can. We, the candle maker strive to make the perfect, strongest smelling candle we can. WE need to remember people buy candles for a variety of reasons color, shape AND scent. ;) or we will drive ourselves crazy.

WaxingMoon

I have tried the coffee and it doesn't work..

Sometimes the coffee thing isn't enough to clear out my candle nose, either. I've recently resorted to opening up the kitchen cabinets, and grabbing a jar of spice and giving that a good whiff. Montreal Steak Seasoning seems to clear out the candle nose quite well... Sounds bizzare, I know.. but it works! :D

I have a weak nose with certain throws. If I can't smell it I don't use it, I find another supplier for that particular scent. I generally check their sight before I buy it if they are soy campatible. Usually suppliers like BCN, MC and JS list that information. I never seem to have problems with Peaks either. My true test is if I burn a 16oz double wicked it will usually travel upstairs in my halway. That is how I can tell its a good one. Plus everyone is right if you are sitting in the aroma for a while go outside for a few minutes then walk right back in.

I have a weak nose with certain throws. If I can't smell it I don't use it, I find another supplier for that particular scent. quote]

I guess I could do that as well, but it seems that others can smell it 'strongly' so that's why I'm not really sure. It seems since I've started using BW I smell them even less, which is odd because a lot of the threads I've read says BW will increase the scent. Not my BW! I may try a different brand though.

And all of the scents I use (according to BCN) throw well in soy, so that's why I wasn't sure if it was just me or what! Maybe I'll just make 'mildly scented soy'. :D

~~Kelly~~