Domain Name Expired...

Trish

Does anyone know... how long after a domain name expires does it come available for anyone else to get?

I was clueless when I got my business license 2 years ago and didn't register the domain first. I wasn't sure if I was going to need a website at the time and within days of me getting my license, some jackass registered the name I wanted (with intent for me to rebuy it off him for a ridiculous amount of money). It technically expired yesterday and it doesn't appear that he's renewed it yet and I want it! How long does he have?

I believe it is approx. 90 days. They will give him a chance to renew for quite awhile. Then it has to go through all the channels before it can become available again. If you definitely want a particular domain name, you could backorder it on godaddy for $19. HTH!

You are given the option to be notified if you want to buy a domain and it is taken. My choice was taken intially (not by someone doing it intentionally) but after six months I received the email it was available and I got it. I would definitely go that route. I always thought that the minute they didn't pay, it was up for grabs. I am not sure though.

I used a service (can't remember which off the top of my head) to notify me when it becomes available.

I didn't realize it was only $19 to reserve it through GoDaddy, the other sites I checked wanted a lot more than that. That's worth it to me...off to check it out!

Seems like expired would be just that and available right away.I had one expire but knew I didn't want it so just ignored it.It was .net instead of .com.Didn't take someone long to get it.I think all that was left of that name was .org or .biz. I do think there is a time span but maybe 60 days.I do remember something but I was not interested in checking at all.The company is also on-line and didn't want to confuse the 2.

LynnS

Domain names....sigh. If you even think you want one then get it and keep it :) I waited a day too long and someone got one I wanted...then they let it expire and someone else scooped it up ! Someone who wanted it to sell figuring I guess, that since someone was interested it would sell....well I had TM'd the name and was danged if I was going to pay extra...it took over a year but I now have that name...guess they finally figured out I wasn't going to pay and no one else would want a domain name that had a Trademarked name to it :laugh2: BUT I do consider myself lucky.

You can check on GO-Daddy to see if the name is eligible to buy...if not keep checking and I can't stress enough to any one who is even thinking about a name to go and check out Go-Daddy search and be ready to buy it then if it is available.

When searching for names make sure you have your credit card handy.....If you search a name and it is available, take it....Otherwise in mere minutes it will be gone....Registration is cheap these days....When I hear a potential name I like I "grab" it if is available...RCS...

Well Trish that's what happened to me.

I originally went on Go Daddy and someone had cozyaromas.com, back then I just placed my name on backordered just in case the original owner didn't renew the domain in a year. While doing that I also registered under cozy-aromas.com. Well a year goes by and lo and behold the original owner doesn't renew her contract, therefore since I had backordered the name, I got the chance to snatch it up. Of course it gave her a deadline to reclaim the name but she didn't. Go Daddy, then goes through the process of taking her name and anything attached to the domain. Since I originally paid a fee for the backorder, that went towards the purchase of the domain in the auction. That's right when I backordered that only held my spot to buy it off their auction block. If anybody else wanted to grab their name, they could do so and we would've had bidding war. But in my case it didn't go that far and I got the domain for the price I backorderd it for, plus I got some other perks with it like free hosting for a year or so, I can't remember I actually have to look at my papers.

I consider myself to be very fortunate, because I just knew the name was either going to remain with the owner, or be snatched up by somebody else.

So IMO, I would go for it and get the name you want and if it's taken to the chance and backorder it, who know you might just get it!!!;)

Good luck!!!

Here's another question about domains. Can you actually pay for your renewal of your domain before it is due? Anyone know about that?

My webhost sends me an email a few months in advance so that I can renew before it expires. I also set up the auto renewal so that when it comes time, they just charge my card!