update on the splattering, dripping pillars

Ok, I saw for myself the candles that my friend said were "splattering and dripping" all over. (These are 23 oz. round pillars seamless aluminum molds , 4625 wax, 1/0 wick and the same size chunk candles 4625 wax chunks and 1343 overpour.)

I noticed immediately that the 3 chunk candles were on these tall candle holders (2ft.- 3 ft. height) and the candles were the exact size as the diameter for the candle holder base (no room at all for wax to collect). Instead of the "hugging" going inwards on a pillar, they each had a huge lip (?) hanging/curling over on one side and the wicks were all tall and leaning over. The dripping poured all down her candle holders and were messy. The 2 marble pillars didnt have the outer lip but I noticed the wicks were leaning again and looked tall (like she doesnt trim them as I have instructed to do) and she said they were smoking! You could defintely see where they all burned to one side. She said she has been burning candles "forever" and has never had to extinguish one after 3 or 4 hours. And has never had to trim one either every few hours.

I burned my pillars (from the same wax, wicks, etc) and have not had any dripping, splattering, etc...... I trim my wick during the 3 hours they burn and I have not had smoking at all. I do have to center the wick at times because I notice it will start to shift a little.

IS the wick I am using (flat braid 1/0) too hot? I don't know what else to try. Is it normal for wicks to move (bend over a little bit- not curling)during the burn? And smoking? Mine that I burn have never smoked, but I am thinking she must have had the two going for hours at a time to get smoke. (And there was dripping also, but her candle holders have no pan..... the pillars look like they were attached to the holders, completely vertical.)

Help!!:undecided

For 3" pillars I use a 62-52-18Z wick in IGI 1343 wax and they work great. They self consume with no "hugging" needed. I also let a 3" pillar go all night, in a controlled and safe area, and I only got a little dripping. BTW - I find with this wick for a 3" diameter pillar, you need to let the pillar burn for 4 hours each burn.

HTH - Candle Man

ETA - This is on a solid pillar not a chunk. Chunk pillars will burn differently and have more of a tendency to drip due to the chunks and possible air bubbles trapped in between the chunks.

How was the temperature when you poured these candles? I ask because this summer I had made some like I usually do (rustic, not chunks) and it was so hot, the wax didn't cool as normal. I normally can remove pillars from the mold without any problems, but these wouldn't budge so I knew they didn't cool right.

I burned a handful and they all did that lip thing. There was no draft, and all I can think is the wax didn't contract like normal so it was more elastic.

Mmmm this is why my testing always go beyond what we tell customers to do lol. I will burn 8-10 hours at a time and fluctuate that also.

To me it just sounds like you need to work with the wicking. If it leaned, either your wick wasn't initially straight or there's another burning issue going on. JMO.

I'm with Scented. I marathon burn for up to 14 hours, and I shoot for a candle that I don't have to touch. I do not hug. Not that I want people to burn that long, but I know that some will, so......

You may also be underwicked too, keep that in mind.

Good input, everyone! I will try the 65-52-18z wick with the 1643 wax (per candle man).

Are there any other wicks that would do well in the 4625, using the 23 oz. round aluminum pillars?? (I have SO much of this wax right now that I want to use up - and I like it, it gives off an excellent scent throw).

And the temperature at my pouring may have been too hot (I didn't think so but at this point, who knows)!

I'm thinking the chunk pillars are going to give me issues- Uh!