ARRGG Business name Blues

candleman111

Im with Scented-- it is rather "1985"-ish.

Okay now I am definitely changing MY business name. Back to the drawing board.:cry2: Im depressed:cry2:

I wouldn't go around changing my name because it might not be the stylish name for the decade. If it fits you like a fine suit, wear it. Like Indescent said, naming a business is like naming your child. It's what works for you ;) and since you've picked your name you need to stand up for it lol. Personally I like names that roll off the tongue and are simple.

Yup Breanna, stick with it if you love it..and I suspect you do, or you wouldn't have chosen it in the first place. I love my business name..it doesn't roll off the tongue easily though does it? Sagebrush Junction..it's actually bordering on the tongue twisterish LMAO, but hey..it's where I live, and I love it, and I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of it.

Breanna,

You know I love you :) What I meant by 1985 ish is that "ScentSations" alone is old and overdone. You have added your own flair to it by adding a distinctive name to it. Personally, if I saw it, I would remember LadyBre more than I would ScentSations (if that makes sense).

Don't change your name, as it is endearing to you-- to me business names capture all of the love and passion you have for it when you first started. So don't dare do a injustice by changing your name. Its not what I think-- or anyone else for that matter; its the quality, look and marketing of your product.

Big hugs to you sweetie!

Most of the new companies, or the ones that have wowzer marketing, go with a one word name it seems. Say it with less :)

Like:

Flash!

Hotness (OK, I was wanting men in black II lol)

Flame

or names that don't have anything to do with anything or are made up words that don't mean anything but are easy to remember.

House Blue

Magnolia

Votivo (of course, thats a real one)

Or maybe do a name in Spanish. Or Italian/French/insert a language that means something.

Do you even make soaps, candles or bath and body products yet? It was just a week or 2 ago that you were asking about using food coloring in candles and if you should do CP, MP, or HP soaps? Kinda going about it backwards if you ask me. You cant have a business without a product, and you cant have a product without many months of testing (if not years). I sure wouldnt worry about a name yet if I were you. You have plenty of time to think about it.

Bruce

ouch bruce harsh,

yes i do make candles, and am just getting into soaps. I was just asking if anyone had heard of using food coloring in candles/soaps receipes. Not that i would use it, but just wondering how the outcome was. I've read about crayons also... and if I remember corectly.. yankee candles started with a guy making candles for a present colored with crayons and other methods.

thanks for your support bruce

ouch bruce harsh,

yes i do make candles, and am just getting into soaps. I was just asking if anyone had heard of using food coloring in candles/soaps receipes. Not that i would use it, but just wondering how the outcome was. I've read about crayons also... and if I remember corectly.. yankee candles started with a guy making candles for a present colored with crayons and other methods.

Just must have caught me in the wrong mood yesterday, not trying to be harsh.. ok maybe I am. Maybe tough love. It seems like I am getting that way more and more with all the new people on the board asking the same questions over and over again. You will get all the fluffy answers from plenty of people on here, I will let you know the real deal of what its like to be a full time successful candle maker. If you make candes and have a business you really should know about not using food coloring or crayons to make candles with and the reasons why. Wait 5 or 10 years and look at the products you started with and you will laugh. I did, except now my first candles I retailed are almost 30 years old. I might be harsh, but im honest and sometimes you have to throw that in the mix with all the other fluffy talk that goes on here.

Bruce

I Like the way you just "tell it like it is" Bruce! ;):D

Seriously, there is sooooooo much more to this than making a candle and/or soap, and finding a business name-ask me how I know.

Just when you think you might be able to get a business name together with your candle, then you remember you have to come up with some label that will "catch" they eye, then you remember you have to be keeping track of all your expenses/inventory etc. Then packaging, and finding places to sell, and insurance, and and and and....

Then you realize, hey maybe this is going to take a lot longer than I thought, I need more organization, more experience/expertise with my product to feel the best about selling.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent aren't I?? Geesh, sorry bout that, I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed with this whole thing myself (in case you couldn't tell!! LOL ).

I had a very hard time finding a name that I liked, a lot of people here gave me great advice, but the best advice, is to find one that you just say, "yah, that's the one for me!!" and you WILL find that one, even when you think you won't, I did and I'm very happy with it, I've built a beautiful logo around it, and it's MINE now!! :D

There you go, maybe a little more than my two cents worth. ;)

Happy name finding to you!

ouch bruce harsh,

You're not fooling anyone, candleman. You know you want to use food coloring, why else would you ask! :P