Does re-pour = re-cure?

Okay, here's a silly question...

I've got some tins that I made about 2 weeks ago, that I knew needed to be re-wicked. I'm just now getting around to melting them back down and repouring with the new wicks.

Since these have been 'curing' for two weeks, is that process now null and void since I've got to melt them down completely and repour them? Or, will the hot throw still reflect that curing time?

I have a feeling this is gonna have one of those *smack-forehead* "DUH!" answers... but, I'm feeling a bit braindead today. :laugh2:

Nah, it's not really a "smack forehead" kinda thing. Some of this stuff is actually sort of mysterious.

I haven't really paid attention to whether there's any difference at all the second time you pour the candle, but yes it should need to cure again.

The only explanation I've heard about the need to cure soy candles is that it has something to do with the changes that happen to the crystal structure of the wax after it sets up. That starts from scratch when you re-pour.

I think that's the best answer we have.

I have a silly question spinning of the original question. When you repour does the wax need to fill the jar again? I always just start over and melt fresh wax, seems like a waste of money. I never thought about remelting and repouring.

...that it has something to do with the changes that happen to the crystal structure of the wax after it sets up. That starts from scratch when you re-pour..

But, then.... (begin devil's advocate mode)

...if that statement held true, wouldn't you have to re-cure every time you burned the candle and reached full melt pool??

OMG, I was actually thinking about that today. Since we let the candles cure for awhile after we first make them, I was wondering well what about when they're burning,do they really need to be cured all over again? Ok here's another smack on the head question. :tongue2: Say you're burning a votive and it has a nice melt pool and once the melt pool has cooled wouldn't the fragrance be weaker because of the last burning time?

Ok you can smack me!

I'm still trying to figure out the rule of thumb for curing time for votives,tealights, and jars.

"I haven't really paid attention to whether there's any difference at all the second time you pour the candle, but yes it should need to cure again."

Ouch!!! Then what about wickless candles which reach a full melt pool every time you melt them??

Well, I tested one of the tins last night that I repoured yesterday. It was a blueberry muffin FO... and, it was throwing like crazy. And, I think for me to notice the throw after smelling the full on melt from 6 tins... that says something. That one little tin beat the candle-nose? Yeah. I think the recure issue is out the window.

Unless it was just that FO... (DUN-dun-dunnnnn~!)

Some great observations here. I just think for the repour test you'd want to compare against a new candle to have a good test.

The original suggestion that crystallization might be the explanation for increased scent throw came from that guy who answers tech questions for Nature's Gifts (EcoSoya). I resurrected that thread and posted a follow-up question.

http://www.ngiwax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

I changed my profile in a way that somehow clobbered my account so I had to register again. My original question isn't visible anymore, only the one I just posted.

Well, I didn't think about having a brand new candle to test against. Hmm...

I still have more that need repoured. I was a doof and totally threw the wrong wicks in a bunch of different scents... so I've got more to test against. I'll see about pouring a brand new one and having a 'Great Burn-Off Challenge'

Perhaps, to do it right... there should be 3 competitors.

1) Candle recently poured (less than 24 hours-- just set up overnight)

2) Candle curing for 2 weeks

3) Candle recently repoured (less than 24 hrs- set up overnight) after cured for 2 weeks.

This could get interesting. You guys are gonna turn me into a mad scientist, aren't you? ;)