Why would you double wick a 4 oz tin???

Just curious. I went to a friend's open house today and she was selling Gold Canyon Candles. They had 4 oz tins that were double wicked. I would think that these would burn way to fast (it didn't list their burn times anywhere)...so the consultant says, "just light one wick at a time". Doesn't that make the double wicking absolutely pointless? Not to mention the uneven burn you'd get. Why in the world would they double wick a 4 oz tin? Just rambling out loud :) Seems weird to me.

Nope, not shallow at all. They're just like the 4 oz tins from Peaks (except they have three little "feet" on the bottom to keep the hot tin elevated off of surfaces.) They seemed to be the same diameter as the Peaks tins.

Edited to add: I just read through their catalogue and the burn time for the 4 oz tins is 15-25 hours.

I'm hunting for a pic to show :)

Found one:

11190_Spruce.jpg Might be a little wider in diameter than I thought. Still doesn't seem like a double wicker. I think it is a 6 oz. I found one of their apoth candles I bought (years ago :) and it's a 10 oz...but the bottom label says 8 oz candle. I know it's a 10 oz jar because it's the same as my 10 oz apoths.

I've been thinking about this since I first saw the ads for the glade thing that is basically an upturned glass with a shallow bowl and a wicked tart which is designed to melt ultra fast and be gone in a matter of hours, "filling the whole room with fragrance" (their words).

My guess is that this appeals to the market that doesn't care how long the product lasts as long as the results are fast.

Pure genius on the part of Glade, too. Two tart-sized candles and a glass cost almost $10 where I live, and the 3 tart-sized refill is just over $7.

They were selling fairly well. Haven't seen the glade "tarts", but it amazes me how much they charge. They might be 6 oz tins....they are sold as "4 oz", but you might be right. My girlfriend bought one (she wants me to dupe the scent), I'll measure it when she brings it over. But you're right...double wicking even a 6 oz seems silly. If I can avoid double wicking anything...I do it! LOL.

That's one of the reasons I don't care for Golden Canyon Candles~ I personally, hate double wicked candles! Maybe they got a special deal from their wick supplier in China.:lipsrseal And wouldn't that make the tin doubly hot when burning?

I have a competier in the next county who double wicked an 8oz jelly jar candle and didn't fully test it because a friend and I both bought one and in the middle of burning it, both jars cracked! (Bet this guy had some major explained to do to his customers! ) I returned both candles to the store but all they would offer me was replacement and I wouldn't take those!:angry2:

The guy still double wicks his jelly jars but much fewer store are carry them now!

Fire

Last year when I was doing extensive testing on 6 oz tins, there were some heavy FO's that I could not get a complete burn on without going to a torch size wick. They were successfully double wicked. I ended up testing all for double wicking and found them to do well with two small wicks. I wanted to have continuity and not two wicking styles.