In need of Ideas..

Hey everyone...

I'm Andrea a.k.a Fairy_Light... I'm new to making candles and very interested in learning more about the field. I know some stuff but defanitely not enough to start selling. I'm really wanting to go to the convention in lufkin this September but I can only go if I earn the $70.00 for my mom and I to go "myself". I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to go about this without having to sell candles. (I'm just not confident enough to do this yet) I've found a great type of wax for making tarts and am still working on getting my packaging just right. I do scrapbooking, webdesign, bath and body products, I'm great with spreadsheets and making formula's for them. If anyone knows of any places these things might be of use at I'd love any input possible. Thanks everyone in advance for any input.

Hey everyone taking all of the ideas to heart and actually thought up another one that could work in with scrapbooking... Secret Buddy Cards Scrapbook style... here are two pictures of the card I made up the other night. Let me know what you think. Was thinking a specially designed card with 2 sets of tarts would be a cool thing to offer to everyone taking part in the Secret Buddy system. Any input is welcome.

HUGS

SecretBuddyCard1.jpg

SecretBuddyCard1Back.jpg

Crossing my fingers the pictures show up lol

The bath and body stuff I don't like to sell since I don't have a business license it was just for family and friends. I can make a yummy lotion base but it's not tested by the big guys so i don't want to advertise that either. Trying to stick to all of the rules. I have done many sites in the past couple years but finding the demand for websites isn't an easy task anymore. The market is flooded with webdesigners. Scrapbooking really is just a fun hobby I mean I do really creative things when scrapbooking but most people like to do that their self since it's so personal. Hence why I'm having a problem coming across the money to go because I just don't know where any of this stuff is in demand. KWIM?

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you -- I'm a web developer, I'm very crafty, and I do scrapbooking, but w/ one difference -- that I'll be selling things very soon. I don't know what to do w/ my talents either, and I agree -- finding web jobs is very difficult. Do you have a website? How about a web portfolio showing your work? Having these can help you get some business. Once you have this, you can advertise yourself to others. Make up some business cards, give them to friends/family and look where you can post your information -- around here some family restaurants have posting boards, and so do colleges and some businesses. Probably not the best ideas, but maybe it is a start.

My only other advice would be to work more on the bath/body stuff so you can sell...and go to a small craft show or something. Or, bring some of your current things that you make to work, or give to your mom to do the same. Once people see it, they may want to buy some. Also do the same w/ scrapbooking -- make some cards or something -- something that people could buy. I have a friend that loves my stuff, and everytime he sees me bring something to show, he'll buy it...and he LOVES my cards...and loved some m&p soap I made.

Hope this helps. Definitely try ebay too for scrapbooking stuff -- sell some of your extras (as a fellow scrapbooker I KNOW you must have some things you don't need), and maybe make some custom albums (paper bag, etc). Take a look at a few that I made: http://www.theouteredge.com/toe/paperbagbooks/ ... these suckers sell....not that I sold any, but they are very popular. $70 away isn't too far! Good luck!

- Sue

Oh Scented that's a great idea... I used to make personalized soap boxes but the price for personalizing and then cutting and blah de blah no one was wanting to spend that much on packaging soaps. (understandable none the less) but Business cards and labels would be good. I've done a couple of folks brochures before. Thanks hun any ideas on where i should post them? Classifieds or?

Other than that, have you got FOs or wicking or jars or packaging or molds you really don't want or don't use? You could probably move them in the classifieds. I know I always thought I would do certain things that I bought mold or wick for and have yet to get with it or to it. Some day I may consider selling the items if I don't give the stuff a try.

Love those baby books! I imagine those do sell...like HOTCAKES in the scrapbookers world! Why can't you sell them again?> I think they look absolutely AWESOME!

Thanks for the compliments!!! :)

Yep, some of them sell for lots of moola on ebay.

It's not that I can't sell them, its that I haven't -- the baby book was a gift, and the other I made for myself :)

Personally I don't see why you couldn't post an ad for your services(brochures, bus cards, labels) in the classifieds. The newspapers classifieds always has service ads, from stump grinding to house cleaning...lol. Maybe PM or email Alan to check first. I think it would be great, especially since people pop in here asking if we know anyone who does this or that. Good Luck :)

Yeah, ya can't advertise services on here unfortunately. YOu could double check with Alan to be sure, but I've talked to him about it before about it and he doesn't want it done. PM me for ideas on where to post it though ;) and feel free to PM anyone else who is asking for help with such things! Good luck...i wish we could advertise these things in the classifieds too...many of us have lots of wonderful services to offer.

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas... I e-mailed alan and am waiting for a reply. Told him it was no rush as I know he has far more important things to worry about. I thought up something I thought would be neat.. (Making Secret Buddy Cards Scrapbook style) and seeing what everyone thought of the idea. If they'd be interested in purchasing a card with 2 sets of tarts to go along with it. I ship it from my house to their pal so the secret stays a secret. On the first post I put up some pictures of the front and of the back. I put this together last night. It's my as we call it Tester hehehe. Let me know what you think.

HUGS

The classifieds are really set up for the non-commercial clearing of excess inventory as it pertains to making or selling crafts. Some that haven't been here too long may question why there are limitations as to what may be posted there. There are currently six pages of classified ads. People who've been here for a long time will remember a time when it was first opened without any limitations. It quickly became filled with more ads for things like used vehicles and articles of clothing... everything under the sun. Ads for on-topic excess inventory became buried and difficult to find.

To exemplify, consider the services that prairieannie mentioned she inquired about, which was intended to promote a web design business. First, there have been design services promoted here by various people in the past. We've seen them get derailed several times, because there are actually quite a few designers on here (guessing at least 20). Second, and more importantly, because it is off-topic and there are so many that offer the service, the actual content people come here for would become dwarfed by what would effectively become spam. Imagine 20 people advertising design services. Now imagine another 100 or so designers taking note and deciding CT is a wonderful advertising vehicle that needs to be overrun by as much spam as they can possible dish out. If we have 6 pages of on-topic ads right now, how many pages of off-topic stuff do you think you might have to wade through to get at it? Any community benefit of the classifieds would quickly be lost.

Cheers,

Alan :)

The classifieds are really set up for the non-commercial clearing of excess inventory as it pertains to making or selling crafts. Some that haven't been here too long may question why there are limitations as to what may be posted there. There are currently six pages of classified ads. People who've been here for a long time will remember a time when it was first opened without any limitations. It quickly became filled with more ads for things like used vehicles and articles of clothing... everything under the sun. Ads for on-topic excess inventory became buried and difficult to find.

To exemplify, consider the services that prairieannie mentioned she inquired about, which was intended to promote a web design business. First, there have been design services promoted here by various people in the past. We've seen them get derailed several times, because there are actually quite a few designers on here (guessing at least 20). Second, and more importantly, because it is off-topic and there are so many that offer the service, the actual content people come here for would become dwarfed by what would effectively become spam. Imagine 20 people advertising design services. Now imagine another 100 or so designers taking note and deciding CT is a wonderful advertising vehicle that needs to be overrun by as much spam as they can possible dish out. If we have 6 pages of on-topic ads right now, how many pages of off-topic stuff do you think you might have to wade through to get at it? Any community benefit of the classifieds would quickly be lost.

Cheers,

Alan :)

Just quoting the post to see if it shows up that way here LOL. Yup, this is what the post looks like to me hehehe.

Good-day!There is always a way to do what needs to be done..I have tryed many..Garage sales,even sold plasma...you can do scrapbooking for friends...cover cost of product plus,,,profit per page...Yes,per page not book...Hope this helps...Babysitting..Do you have any clothes/purses/shoes you can take to some local consignment shops? Get ahold of some local clubs such as Red Hat Society/hobby stores/You can charge per person plus they pay so much to cover the cost of the product they are making..Clubs enjoy this kind of thing..You can do a scrapbooking workshop......The Lufkin conference has been put on hold until further notice..So this will give you time....Kind regards,Linda