70/30 and double wicking?

I've been trying all kinds of wick combos to get my new jar wicked with a 70/30 soy/paraffin wax. Jar is 3 1/2 diameter and 2.75" tall...just a plain ole' round, straight sided cylinder jar.

I tried double wicking with various sizes of eco's and LX and even triple wicking with the smallest sizes of these. Although I'm getting a nice side to side melt with some combos it seems no matter what I do the melt pool gets so deep that one or both of the wicks will fall over halfway through or toward the end of a 4 hour burn. Is it even feasible to try double wicking this wax since soy tends to burn down and then out?

Is there a wick out there I could single with this with?

Hate to ask for wicking advice, but I'm stumped on this new jar. TIA!

I've been trying all kinds of wick combos to get my new jar wicked with a 70/30 soy/paraffin wax. Jar is 3 1/2 diameter and 2.75" tall...just a plain ole' round, straight sided cylinder jar.

I tried double wicking with various sizes of eco's and LX and even triple wicking with the smallest sizes of these. Although I'm getting a nice side to side melt with some combos it seems no matter what I do the melt pool gets so deep that one or both of the wicks will fall over halfway through or toward the end of a 4 hour burn. Is it even feasible to try double wicking this wax since soy tends to burn down and then out?

Is there a wick out there I could single with this with?

Hate to ask for wicking advice, but I'm stumped on this new jar. TIA!

Hi,

Which 70/30 blend is it? Greenleaf's? You will find with any wax that when you test in the SQUATY jars you will have to adhere the wicks to the bottom unlike what you would have to do to test wicks in the taller jars. This is a pain in the neck if the first wick chosen is not the one. I have to go through this all the time. I use the same size jar (also use the taller ones too) and I have to adhere the wicks to test them. Even if the meltpool did not get too deep it will soon get too low to do proper testing and they will fall over. Once you get to know the wax you will have to remake candles with different wicks less often. Although, it will happen. I have had to make at least two if not three for each scent. It is becoming less now because usually I can use between two wick sizes. And, when I think a wick is right I will usually even make another one just to make sure.

If you do use the Greenleaf 70/30, you will not be able to single wick it in that jar (this is from my testing and only my opinion). Even with double wicking it burns down before out and only gets to the sides of my jar (all away around) within the complete burn time -- 4 hours. At least, this is my experience. Actually, I always end up double wicking in a jar that size. I prefer double wicks in the larger jars anyway -- great scent throw and easier time to get an even burn.

Also, depending on what wax you use, I use either two Hemp Med's or two Hemp Lrgs. for the Greenleaf 70/30. I use between 8-9 percent FO.

I hope this helps some. :)

~Holly

Oh thanks Holly! Yes it is the GL 70/30 and I do appreciate the tip. I kind figured I would have to start sticking the wicks but was soooo hoping not to. It's so great to find someone using my same wax and jars! I'm going to order some samples of your type wicks. All I have are eco's and LX...thanks again!

Oh thanks Holly! Yes it is the GL 70/30 and I do appreciate the tip. I kind figured I would have to start sticking the wicks but was soooo hoping not to. It's so great to find someone using my same wax and jars! I'm going to order some samples of your type wicks. All I have are eco's and LX...thanks again!

You are welcome. :) I know that Debbie (Kigers24) also uses this wax and she has success with either LX 12's, 14's, or 16's. Do you have those? I have not tried many different wicks with this wax, so I am not sure if the LX's would work better than the Hemps. I have not tested the LX's much......a little bit when I first started to make candles. I like the Hemps because they are stiff and stay straight up. I use the RRD's and sometimes Hemps in my soy too.

Anyway, good luck with your testing! :)

~Holly

I forgot to mention that my jar is the apothecary which is actually 3 7/8 at the base and about 3 inches at the mouth (opening). The height of my squaty one is the same as yours. It sounds like yours is an apothecary but may be a different brand. Is it the Keepsake jar? The small difference may be in your favor because mine struggle getting all the way out to the sides even with double wicking.....this wax burns down before out. They all have something. :tongue2:

I do have all sizes of LX and am finding that those 3 sizes will more than likely work except for a couple of scents that I'm finding impossible (dang that Vanilla/Lavender)! My problem is I have them all wicked with testers so they start floating, so as you say, cannot finish my testing accurately. I'm sure I'll have better luck once I attach the wicks.

The thought of remelting though arrggghh...my problem is I have lined the jars with very thin (1/8") random chunks made from 50% soy votive and 50% 70/30 (confused yet?) and then filling the jar with 70/30. The chunks do not seem to effect the burn in my smaller jars (there are very few and so thin), so I think I'll try pouring these new with no chunks and attaching the wicks for testing...

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention that my jar is the apothecary which is actually 3 7/8 at the base and about 3 inches at the mouth (opening). The height of my squaty one is the same as yours. It sounds like yours is an apothecary but may be a different brand. Is it the Keepsake jar? The small difference may be in your favor because mine struggle getting all the way out to the sides even with double wicking.....this wax burns down before out. They all have something. :tongue2:

Mine is a 15 oz cylinder...same diameter top to bottom...just wide and squatty sort of like me!:yay:

I use 60-44-18z in my same apothecary jars and ONE wick works great with Greenleaf's 70/30 wax. I make sure that I state the first burning must be at least 3-4 hours long, and it melts clear out to the sides.

I've never doubled wicked these jars, only a single wick does it for me.

Suzanne

I have been testing gl 70/30 forever now - I have never ever been able to single wick the apothecary jar......not with a 60 or a 62 zinc and get a good mp and throw! I am totally impressed that you are able to do so. For most fragrances I can dw with 44z's in the apothecary but occasionally I have to wick up on spicy or heavy fo's. Wish I had your success! Double wicking is not bad, but a pita and on some of the heavier fo's I am getting black soot - course that might be due to some 'marathon' burning!

I also have been trying (without any success I might add) to wick the 1/2 pint wide mouths - 60 or 62's frequently just fizzle out.....Tried eco's but I don't like them much.

I am seriously wondering why I ever changed waxes - I thought I liked this 70/30 but am seriously questioning my choice to change!

Looks like I'll be ordering some sample zincs also. Do they burn faster out or down? I was thinking it's the wax that burns deep and didn't have so much to do with the wicks, but would appreciate more info on the zincs. Thanks...

Looks like I'll be ordering some sample zincs also. Do they burn faster out or down? I was thinking it's the wax that burns deep and didn't have so much to do with the wicks, but would appreciate more info on the zincs. Thanks...

It is the wax that tends to burn down than out. Every series of wicks I've tried on this wax has the same result as far as depth of burn goes.

MasterBaker is right....it is the wax. Soy in general usually (but not always -- some don't as much) burns down before out.....and the 70/30 really does. It is something that drives me nuts but there are a lot of other good qualities with this wax which makes me stick with it. :)

The thing I do not like about curling wicks is that with a wax that is hard to get out to the sides I have more trouble with wicks the bend/curl to one side....LX's, HTP's, etc. or even the lean of the RRD's at times.....but I have had more luck with the RRD's lean than the LX and HTP's curl. lol That is why I like the Hemps with this wax......stiff. Although, I have not tried the bending/curling wicks with this wax yet in my jars with double wicking so who knows they may work even better. There is always something else to test. :tongue2: