flat top versus concave

Concave mold vs flat top  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Concave mold vs flat top

• Seamless Concave
    • Seamless Flat Top
    • Seamed Flat Top

As far as seamless molds go, concave is more commonly available than flat. It also gives a more controlled burn (flat tops will have a taller flame, all things being equal).

When it comes to seamless versus tin, I like the finish and the clean shape of candles from the tin molds, as well as how easy they are to wick with magnetic mold sealer. However the seamless is more durable and practical if you need to produce a lot of candles. It's also popular if you like to pour candles with wick holes in them. A lot of pins and tools for that purpose work well with them.

I pre wick my pillar moulds, so find it much easier to use the concave top. The reason? If i'm careful i can get the mould seal and wick to fit into the concave bit so when i lay it down ready for pour, the candle is nice and stable and straight. I find with flat top metal moulds i have to balance it on a yoghurt pot or something so the mould seal and wick falls over the pot hole doesn't make the mould tilt! Also i think cylinders look more finished off with a concave top.

:)

Actually I just joined you on the tin vote. I've been having trouble with some odd patterning on many of my seamless - just on the bottoms (tops of candles) for some reason. I've got tired of it and went with the tins. (I'm scared of them though - REALLY sharp!)

I found a way to clean them in which I don't get bloody candles. hmmm, using blood for red coloring in soy candles....now I can market 100 natural! hehe...wrong thread.

So yeah, I wrap a sock around a screwdriver or something of the sort, put some mold cleaner on it and go to town. The sock ends up being a little bigger than the mold, so when you squish it in, it cleans really good. Other than that, when I clean molds now I wear latext type gloves...I'm able to feel the sharpness first on the glove before it gets me and I can let up the pressure.

Thanks Top and Henry!