ACK! Someone wants to sell my candles in a mall!!

Katcameback

I have only been selling for about 8 months, just mainly to friends and co-workers of my hubby abd the odd online sale. I haven't been putting alot of effort into selling because I don't want to freak myself out until I know what I'm doing, lol. Anyways, someone emailed me today, and this is what they said

"I would be interested in retailing your candles in the mall. Please forward a price list and case lot info."

I sent this person a copy of my catalogue. But I have no idea how much to sell them by the caselot. Also.....does anyone have any good advice on what to do or not to do about this kind of thing? I feel that this person didn't even give me enough info about anything. I don't even know where this mall is, if it's even in the same city as me!

Anyways, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks. Because I have never done this, what things should I be wary of? What kinds of rules should I have? How much less should I wholesale for? Percentage wise? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't wqant to gedt burned, lol.

This was their reply when I asked where the "mall" was:

Its called the USA flea market, don't let the name fool you its 350000sq ft large with 1100 venders, I have been there for ten years selling water equipment

Steve

Hi Kat,

First, this sounds like a great opportunity to "cut your teeth" in the retail biz if you do your homework, take it slow, and know your limits. Who knows where this may lead!

My only caution would be that this person "cold called" you and there is no prior relationship, so be on alert.

Good luck!

Hi Kat,

I agree that this could be a good opportunity. Do remain vigilant though. If it were me I would ask for payment up front. Often times with wholesale, the buyer is given 30 days to pay for the order. This doesn't have to be the case. Since it is your first dealing with this buyer and this type of sale, prepayment could save you a lot of worry. Once you are paid, what he does won't really matter to you. Hopefully he will do well and re-order. If not, at least you were taken care of.

Wholesale is normally 50% of your retail price. Be sure that you know for certain what your costs are and be sure your wholesale price is possible for you.

HTH

Janette

PS- I like your site.

Hi Kat,

First, this sounds like a great opportunity to "cut your teeth" in the retail biz if you do your homework, take it slow, and know your limits. Who knows where this may lead!

My only caution would be that this person "cold called" you and there is no prior relationship, so be on alert.

Good luck!

I think that is why red flags came up for me. They have never even seen my candles, so how do they know what they are like? Also....they never gave me any kind of info at all.

Ok. Should have some sort of terms of agreement? I'm not sure if there is anything that they can do that will turn out bad for me, lol. IS there any kinds of rules and regulations that I need to folow, or terms I should havbe them agree to?

Thanks for the compliment on the site. I dabble in web/graphics design. I have a fetish for purple I think, lol. I have made about 4 or 5 websites.

Hi Kat,

I agree that this could be a good opportunity. Do remain vigilant though. If it were me I would ask for payment up front. Often times with wholesale, the buyer is given 30 days to pay for the order. This doesn't have to be the case. Since it is your first dealing with this buyer and this type of sale, prepayment could save you a lot of worry. Once you are paid, what he does won't really matter to you. Hopefully he will do well and re-order. If not, at least you were taken care of.

Wholesale is normally 50% of your retail price. Be sure that you know for certain what your costs are and be sure your wholesale price is possible for you.

HTH

Janette

PS- I like your site.

It would be important to check with your liability insurer about USA sales....You need to make sure that your coverage still applies.....Many Canadian insurers are not comfortable with USA sales and put restrictions on the coverage....Give your broker a call and if they say you have coverage get something in writing to CYA...Good luck....RCS...

The other thing I thought of is the flea markets that I am familiar with are known for deep discounts, poor quality, all sales final, etc. You may want to see if your product is compatible with this style (if this flea market is what I think it is).

But I would continue to pursue it with eyes open. It sounds like even if it is not a match, at least a seed has been planted in your mind as to whether you want to expand your business beyond friends and co-workers.

Good luck, and keep us informed! :)