Candlemaker's Store--Are they CRAZY??

beesweet

Ok, it was bad enough that my last order for 4 lbs was $12.50 shipping. NOW, 6 lbs is over $18? WTH???? The no daily pickup/account, drop off at UPS counter quote is only $12.50 at the UPS site so they are basically upcharging $6. Factor in daily pickup with a UPS account puts it over $8 (quoted just under $10). I placed almost the exact same order a few months ago and shipping was only $13 and change. :mad:

Has anyone else noticed this? This will definitely be my final order with them since I have no choice at this time. They've always had a nonsensical, inconsistent handling charge built in but this is ridiculous. :angry2:

Yep. I've noticed. That's why I've only placed one order over the internet with them. It's just not economical for me to buy from them by the time they add their shipping.

I had to make a trip to Ohio, so I stopped by their "warehouse" and scooped up a few things, but it was certainly a major disappointment. The part of their building open to me was very small. I thought I was at the wrong place because from the outside it appeared to be some kind of company that deals with oils for cars or something. I don't remember what it said now, but it was a strange combination.

I would tell you to call them about their high rates, but I tried it and it did nothing for me. After I got my first order from them I decided I could use some more sachet envelopes from them, so I called them about their high shipping. Those things don't weigh that much and shipping was going to be some ridiculous amount. The guy I spoke to basically I would need to order more in order for it to be more cost effective, like the heavier the weight, the less it costs. Craft Lobby is another company that pulls this sh*t.

Yep, Craft Lobby recently reamed me for $12 in shipping 2 lbs. They sent it priority mail for just over $5!!!

I know someone in the past told me that Candlemaker's store charges the correct shipping when they invoice, but that hasn't held true for me. I flipped back through the last invoices and every one was billed at exactly the charge shown in the cart...every one much over priced but not this badly.

:angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad::angry2::mad:

After giving it some thought, I changed my mind about ordering. That's higher than having a 50 lb. case of wax shipped from a few states away. Who in their right mind would pay that?

The only scent I need soon is Cranberry Chutney and I think I saw a good review of one from Tennessee Candle so there ya go. Buh-bye candlemaker's store. :P

I refuse to order from them ever again. My first and only order was for a gallon of body spray base. Shipping ended up being higher than the damn product and to test their charges, I added on enough gallon bottles for a case, and the shipping just quadrupled. Screw that.

I ordered the same gallon of base from KY candle supply after they got it in stock and shipping with a few pounds of FO added in was less than half the cost.

Well, I "talked" to a friend of mine a few minutes ago that had to place an order similar to mine (same pounds but not quite as far away). She requested shipping approval even though she needs the items yesterday. Soooo we'll see what they have to say to her.

After giving it some thought, I changed my mind about ordering. That's higher than having a 50 lb. case of wax shipped from a few states away. Who in their right mind would pay that?

The only scent I need soon is Cranberry Chutney and I think I saw a good review of one from Tennessee Candle so there ya go. Buh-bye candlemaker's store. :P

I hate to disappoint you but Tenn Candle's Cran Chutney is not even close. It's one of the few oils I have gotten from them that I have been disappointed with. It throws well but is not a dupe.

I orederd a pound of the Cran Chutney from The Candlemakers Store several weeks ago. I requested it to be sent Priority and they charged me 5.00. Not to bad , I live in Ma.

I've ordered from them a couple of times. My first order was over 40 lbs. and shipping was $20. My next order was 14 lbs. and shipping was $12. + change. Anymore it looks like shipping charges are "all over the map" no matter where I order from.

Maggie

I order from the candlemakers only when I have to. I thought the high shipping was just cause I'm here in Maine but I can get stuff from NC cheaper. I just ordered a case of wax from candlescience that cost me 1/2 to ship than if I had it shipped from Ohio or even C&S. Sometimes I wonder where these places get their prices for shipping??

Well, darn, glad I didn't order yet then, thanks. The only other one I tried was C&S and theirs was weak in my wax and not quite a dupe either, though I've only sniffed the real thing once. My main customer for this scent was happy with Steve's, I just can't justify that shipping if they don't lower it on my friend's order.

My last order was a month or two ago for 4 lbs. and shipping was $12+. I put in the exact same order and shipping shows just over $18 for that, too.

I ordered several pounds of FO and samples from JS and shipping from there was only $10 and change.

If you are referring to Steve's.....I don't pay that much in shipping...but I select pick up and in the note section tell them to send me a PayPal invoice with corrected shipping. Or if I am paying by cc, I call it in.

They are aware of the calculator issue and said they are working getting the software fixed/changed or whatever.

I have ordered from them for 5 years and shipping was always where it should be. (shipping to Nebraska)

No problems for me :D

If you are referring to Steve's.....I don't pay that much in shipping...but I select pick up and in the note section tell them to send me a PayPal invoice with corrected shipping. Or if I am paying by cc, I call it in.

They are aware of the calculator issue and said they are working getting the software fixed/changed or whatever.

I have ordered from them for 5 years and shipping was always where it should be. (shipping to Nebraska)

No problems for me :D

There've been a few things I've wanted to order from them, but once I saw how much shipping was going to be, I said forget that. And I'm in PA, so shipping should not be that much! So in order to get "correct" shipping you have to jump through hoops (select pickup and then ask for an invoice with correct shipping)? And if they know there's a "calculator issue", why are they continuing to charge their customers for the inflated shipping cost? They should charge them the correct price, maybe with a small handling charge included, but not ripping them off like the way it seems they have been (based on others' experiences mentioned here). I'm glad that some have had good experiences and are not getting ripped off with shipping, but you shouldn't have to know some inside secret to knowing how to get billed for reasonable shipping charges. And it seems some have even tried jumping through those hoops and questioning the charges and it got them no where. And this is not a tirade against Bizzy, I'm glad she's had good experiences with them, so please don't think this is an attack against you. It's a tirade against companies that have broken shipping calculators, but don't bother to make things right with their customers. This is a company I won't spend my money on, and this is all just my opinion. :D

I have been ordering from them for over 5 yrs and have never had a problem.I know that the shipping is off until they send it and it is always the reduced from what the site has it as. I talked to them also and they are working on the site to get it fixed.

The do have some really good stuff

deedee

I ordered in the past and didn't have any problems with shipping charges. Did they recently update therir website? Probably should have worked out the cart thing. I will remember the paypal suggestion when I order again that way there can be no shipping mistakes.

I ordered in the past and didn't have any problems with shipping charges. Did they recently update therir website? Probably should have worked out the cart thing. I will remember the paypal suggestion when I order again that way there can be no shipping mistakes.

I think it is a recent update...I just recently had to start doing it that way due to the shipping.

It seems mighty funny to me that whenever there is a problem with calculation of any sort it is always to the advantage of the company and not the customer. :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: What's up with that?

I order from The Candlemakers Store all the time and don't have any issues with shipping. Shipping on my last order seemed fair.. I ordered 2 gallons of body spray base, 50 cosmo bottles and 50 spray tops, and 4 cases(24 per case) of 1.5oz hex jars.. the shipping was 24.00 ups. It was here in 3 days. Seemed ok to me? I think shipping is just plain high everyplace.

I just placed a small order with them yesterday evening - it was my first with this vendor. On the site it said that the shipping is way off in the cart (I think it was on one of the cart pages if I remember correctly) and to put a note in the comment box if you want them to call you with the correct shipping charges before charging your card and sending your order. I did the note thing, and they called me right away early this morning and gave me the correct shipping charges (1/3 what the cart showed). It ended up costing me $6 for Priority Mail to WA state, which is about right I believe.

HTH someone,

Lori

They really need to get that fixed. Over estimating shipping by 2/3 seems like it's costing them business. I know I won't order from them and other people have said the same thing. But then again, maybe they make enough pure profit off of people who don't question the shipping amount that they'd rather keep things just the way they are.

I just placed a small order with them yesterday evening - it was my first with this vendor. On the site it said that the shipping is way off in the cart (I think it was on one of the cart pages if I remember correctly) and to put a note in the comment box if you want them to call you with the correct shipping charges before charging your card and sending your order. I did the note thing, and they called me right away early this morning and gave me the correct shipping charges (1/3 what the cart showed). It ended up costing me $6 for Priority Mail to WA state, which is about right I believe.

HTH someone,

Lori

So they are telling the customers to let them know to fix it.....That is good.

Well, my friend received a shipping notice but no call or shipping quote! She's planning to call them when it arrives if the invoice doesn't reflect a drastic reduction in shipping.

Graymaire, the site has said that for a few years about the shipping being "off" and they would correct it but they have not lowered my shipping a single time! It's easy peasy to go to UPS and calculate the shipping estimate. They've always had a handling fee (note the site says they charge actual shipping so that's a lie) but $3 (or more since I can't believe they wouldn't have daily pickup with an account) is a bit much.

Grammafransfixins, your shipping might be closer to actual, but in my case it would be 6 lbs of FO, that's it, for $18+...maybe an 8 lb box for the same price as a 50 lb. case of wax from other suppliers.

Jenny, I hope that's your name lol, they can't exactly ream you for shipping using your account. I'm glad for you! :) If I didn't have a hate-affair with UPS lately, I might consider that, but nuh-uh.

So if they know the calculations are incorrect, and they aren't correcting them (don't know if this is a fact yet, just musing) what will that say about their business practices?